iPod Shuffle charging

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Hello all,

Finally bought my first Apple product today, the 512MB iPod Shuffle. Just to give you an idea of the demand for these, a shipment of 35 arrived yesterday at my university's campus bookstore, 3 of which were available after filling reserve orders, and I picked up the last of these three this morning.

Anyways, that said, can anyone else comment on the charging habbits of the iPod Shuffle, i.e. does it wait until the battery is low before charging the battery while plugged into a USB port? I think I may just be confused because my Shuffle appears to have come out of the box with a full charge, so the battery indicator light on the back is flashing green in sync with the amber light flashing above the play controls.

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    The amber light is flashing because you have it mounted as a drive; unmount it and the light changes from flashing to steady. I'm pretty sure all of this is in the instructions.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    chagichagi Posts: 284member
    Quote:

Originally posted by k squared

The amber light is flashing because you have it mounted as a drive; unmount it and the light changes from flashing to steady. I'm pretty sure all of this is in the instructions.

Actually, it isn't mounted as a drive, none of the shuffle's memory is currently allocated to file storage.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    It may be "mounted" in iTunes. Try ejecting it from iTunes and it should go into pure charging mode. Check your Shuffle credit card guide.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    Judging by the posts on the Apple support forums specific to the iPod Shuffle, I'm not the only one that has encountered difficulties with charging the Shuffle on a Windows 2000 system. It seems that the current workaround for this issue is to enable disk mode in iTunes (even if you don't actually allocate any space for file storage), and the Shuffle will then charge while being used in disk mode.

Of course, I won't really know for sure until I run the battery all the way down and need to charge the thing.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    omegaomega Posts: 427member
    All I know is that I am 16th in line at the moment to get one of these puppies!

(though is is good to hear solutions to "issues")

• Reply 6 of 16
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Got mine sunday morning... lovin it
  • Reply 7 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

Got mine sunday morning... lovin it

snagged one at the apple store while down in Dallas over the weekend...listening to some Pearl Jam on it right now at work

between the Burberry store, the Apple store and the $500 bar tab saturday was an expensive day...but it was sure fun
  • Reply 8 of 16
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

It may be "mounted" in iTunes. Try ejecting it from iTunes and it should go into pure charging mode. Check your Shuffle credit card guide.

yeah that's what i've found. Even if disk use is enabled you should get an orange light glowing continuously.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    grahamwgrahamw Posts: 575member
    Damn it. I was going to be able to get by without one of these, but they came into work today. I had no idea they were really so small! It's like Mac mini syndrome all over again. Crapnuggets.

Future Shop has 3250 512 MB units on order and roughly the same of the 1GB. That's the first shipment. From what I can tell, most of them are spoken for already - we sold the 2 (2!!) 1GB models we got in today in less than an hour.

INsane. I love it.

Question - Can I use the shuffle with the same iTunes setup that I've got my photo plugged into?
  • Reply 10 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

yeah that's what i've found. Even if disk use is enabled you should get an orange light glowing continuously.

That's how it should work, however it currently isn't working in this manner for some (all?) Windows users. I finally wore down the charge that the iPod had out of the box, currently have it plugged in and mounted as a disk drive, seems to be charging because it is warm (we'll see).
  • Reply 11 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chagi

That's how it should work, however it currently isn't working in this manner for some (all?) Windows users. I finally wore down the charge that the iPod had out of the box, currently have it plugged in and mounted as a disk drive, seems to be charging because it is warm (we'll see).

OK, well I'm uisng Windows XP Home Service Pack 1 and my iPod shuffle was flashing orange, just ejected it and it's now continuous orange. This is the same on my friend's Dell. My iPod shuffle was configured on a Mac, her's on a Dell. Oh the Dell is using Windows XP Professional Service Pack 1. I'm about to update mine to Service Pack 2 so will let you know fi the shuffle stops working. According to Apple Service Pack 2 is a requirement!
  • Reply 12 of 16
    Update on this - leaving the Shuffle connected while in disk mode on my PC appears to have charged the Shuffle without difficulties, hopefully Apple will tweak things a bit in the next Shuffle firmware upgrade to correct this issue.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    Simple question: will the Shuffle even charge at all on a USB 1.1 system?
  • Reply 14 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kesh

Simple question: will the Shuffle even charge at all on a USB 1.1 system?

Yes. The dell I use only has USB 1.1 and any port I use will charge it. It has to be connected to the computer, you can't go through the apple keyboard as there is not enough power. You can use a USB powered hub as well.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    k squaredk squared Posts: 608member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chagi

Update on this - leaving the Shuffle connected while in disk mode on my PC appears to have charged the Shuffle without difficulties, hopefully Apple will tweak things a bit in the next Shuffle firmware upgrade to correct this issue.

What, exactly, needs correcting? When the shuffle is mounted, as a HD or in iTunes, the orange light flashes; when it's not mounted the light is steady. Orange for charging or green for charged. This is the same behavior with iPods: when they are mounted "Do not disconnect" flashes on the screen; unmounted there's a battery charging icon.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by k squared

What, exactly, needs correcting? When the shuffle is mounted, as a HD or in iTunes, the orange light flashes; when it's not mounted the light is steady. Orange for charging or green for charged. This is the same behavior with iPods: when they are mounted "Do not disconnect" flashes on the screen; unmounted there's a battery charging icon.

SOME people, I think some PC users, are not seeing a steady light when they unmount the iPod, but the flashing light to indicate disk mode activated. I'm surprised that iPod updater hasn't fixed this!