I want a Treo 650 with OS X on it!

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Now I said it.

Look at the market, it's about to explode this year with this kinda cellphones. The Treo 650 was the first one, then Blackerry, BenQ P50, Samsung announcing the i730, Sony introducing on 1st March "ipodkiller" cellphones...

All about the size of the iPod photo (or 1cm taller). All in one Cellphone, mp3 player, photos, big screen PDA... the only thing they miss is a decent os: OSX

Cellphones ARE the gadget! Gameboys are forever forgotten. Cellphones have (the smart ones) also destroyed PDAs. They're about to do the same to low end digital cameras, and what's next is mp3 players. This year mp3 players will be killed by new cellphones (except for the big HD mp3 players). That means the shuffle and ipod mini, and every other flash player have their days numbered.

Imagine a Treo-like cellphone running OSX, browsing internet on a cafe and syncing to your mac via either WIFI or USB 2.0, with a 1-2-3mpx camera, wide (4.6 cm) hi-res touchscreen for text input with a stylus (those minikb are not that comfortable), SD/MM card slot for up to 2GB of data storing and mp3/AAC music playing on EACH easily removable card.

Don't tell me i'm dreaming because those devices ALREADY EXIST!

only that they dont run OS X. (but many do/will run windows)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Here's what I want.

An Apple Smartphone with:

16bit 320x320 OLED screen.

Running OSX Lite w/quicktime

6GB hd with 64MB of memory

3MP camera with Zoom.

iTunes Music Store support

Bluetooth 2.0

Voice Dictation

SyncML, SMIL 2.0 support

GPS capability

Firewire
  • Reply 2 of 9
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    I would KILL for an Apple-branded smartphone, especialy if you could run Apple Remote Desktop on it...!
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Here's what I want.

3MP camera with Zoom.

Bluetooth 2.0

Voice Dictation

SyncML, SMIL 2.0 support

GPS capability

Firewire

me too. only that that it's going to cost ?999

and you forgot WIFI, btw

my proposal:

-Treo-styled

-wide enough touschscreen to type on qwerty with stylus!

-itunes

-USB 2.0 (more common that firewire out there)

-WIFI

-skype built in

-1+ mpx cam

-lotsa memory

-long battery
  • Reply 4 of 9
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Here's what I want.

3MP camera with Zoom.

Bluetooth 2.0

Voice Dictation

SyncML, SMIL 2.0 support

GPS capability

Firewire

Damn man I didn't know you were into that stuff. One question. Why firewire in a phone?
  • Reply 5 of 9
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

Damn man I didn't know you were into that stuff. One question. Why firewire in a phone?

Because while the iPod doesn't require some of the unique traits of firewire a smartphone would likely need it's excellent isochronous performance.

I haven't tested it directly but many musicians say they can tell the difference between USB and Firewire interfaces as far as tracking and the like. I'm thinking a smartphone is like a mini OS and thus there would be multitasking going on that would necessitate a FW connection if possible.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Steve liked handspring as a company and he tried to buy it to no avail.

Palm bought it up and is F*ing up the platform.

There are rumors that the next treo will run windows.

Just sux.

The 650 is a good phone however. Doing everything pretty well.

Add to the mythical apple smartphone GPS and Wifi.

I'm in!

ps I synch the 650 with my g4 powerboook via bluetooth. It is slower but the lack of cables is way cool.

• Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by TednDi

Steve liked handspring as a company and he tried to buy it to no avail.

Palm bought it up and is F*ing up the platform.

There are rumors that the next treo will run windows.

Just sux.

The 650 is a good phone however. Doing everything pretty well.

Add to the mythical apple smartphone GPS and Wifi.

I'm in!

ps I synch the 650 with my g4 powerboook via bluetooth. It is slower but the lack of cables is way cool.

I hope that Apple buys PalmOne. That would allow them to create an OSX like OS for PDAs. They would also have access to really good PDA hardware (I have a Tungsten E which I'm very please with so far.)

It wold be an excellent business venture for Apple. And it woud be easier than resurection the Newton or eMate.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    The trouble is, you could never use OS X on a screen that small. It'd have to be a slimmed down version of the OS, especially to fit into the ROM/Flash RAM of the PDA-Phone. Which means it wouldn't run all standard Mac apps, and you're right back to a proprietary OS...
  • Reply 9 of 9
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    The crazy truth is that a Darwin-based embedded device is a possibility. Windows has a far too large kernel, and is way too bloated to be of any use to the electronics community, but Darwin uses a microkernel.

To answer you're questions now, Windows CE is a kludged together OS that has very little in relation to windows. It's a pain to work with, and it ultimately won't get too far since battery and heatsink technology aren't imrpoving at the rate CPU miniturization and performance boosts are.

Anyway, to those interested, expect Samsung to deliver some really slick "smartphones" that blow the Treo out of the water (and run Linux). There are a handful of high speed ARM9-based system-in-package components out there that are really cool. Samsung has a particularly nice one, that, when developed correctly, is phenomenally battery efficient. Even better, since it's samsung you know you won't be stricken with some dying, interference-plagued standard *cough* GSM *cough*, but will be blessed with a range of 3G CDMA options.