Quicktime compresser missing issue

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi I am trying to import a avi clip and when I open it in QT player i get

"You may expereience problems playing a vide track in "yourMovie.avi" because the required compressor could not be found. would you like to close the movie or continue"

It won't open in anything in I import into flash or image ready all I bet is a black file.

The file will open on the PC in WM Player only.

any ideas on how I can find out what compressor it is using or apps to try or how to import it in to anything that i can export it to something I can use in.

cheers

J-e-o

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jon-e-orange

Hi I am trying to import a avi clip and when I open it in QT player i get

"You may expereience problems playing a vide track in "yourMovie.avi" because the required compressor could not be found. would you like to close the movie or continue"

It won't open in anything in I import into flash or image ready all I bet is a black file.

The file will open on the PC in WM Player only.

any ideas on how I can find out what compressor it is using or apps to try or how to import it in to anything that i can export it to something I can use in.

cheers

J-e-o

the .avi may be encoded as 3ivx, Divx, or xVid... do you think this is the case??

have you tried playing it in windows media player for Mac?

when you open the file in quicktime you can try "get info" through the menu bar and fiddle around to try and 'discover' what format the video track is...
  • Reply 2 of 7
    i need to export it back to something i can import into flash. I'm pretty sure its not divX. Allthe info says is MPEG 4
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:

i need to export it back to something i can import into flash. I'm pretty sure its not divX. Allthe info says is MPEG 4

dude, try and see if you can play the file on your mac with this:

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

and check out that videolan website to see if you can find some conversion-type tools for mac
  • Reply 4 of 7
    opens then closes with an error I have found some software on the PC that has converted the files but it would be good to know how to get round this with the mac it is purly a codec issue i guess
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:

opens then closes with an error I have found some software on the PC that has converted the files but it would be good to know how to get round this with the mac it is purly a codec issue i guess

cool no wories... yeah... but for the most part with like 3ivx divx and xvid which seem to be popular mpeg-4 type stuff on the pee cee side, once you get those codecs they seem to work alright for the mac

good luck matey and take care...
  • Reply 6 of 7
    cheers

this is all medical stuff found out alot of them us a codec called indeo. go the proper software on trial for pc.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:

cheers

this is all medical stuff found out alot of them us a codec called indeo. go the proper software on trial for pc.

bah humbug indeo is a big intel thing from what i can remember... just more proprietary peecee-only rubbish codec

everyone should be using fully QuickTime compatible stuff all the time