finding hidden files easily via the Finder & T-tool

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I am wondering if there is a way to search for files that are exposed via tinker tool that are hidden, because when I use tinker tool to show hidden files on my ipod it doesnt come back with any listings when searching for a particular mp3 file Im trying to get off of it. Or any for that matter. Its like the search option in the Finder still doesnt "see" the files even though they are un-hidden so to speak. any apps out there that will help out? I hope my question was clear...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    The music files on the iPod aren't stored with meaningful filenames, just numbers. A database file tells it which number to look for for what song.

So no, even if you unhide the files, you can't search for them by filename, or any ID3 tag, without a special utility.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    hypoluxahypoluxa Posts: 694member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

The music files on the iPod aren't stored with meaningful filenames, just numbers. A database file tells it which number to look for for what song.

So no, even if you unhide the files, you can't search for them by filename, or any ID3 tag, without a special utility.

what util might that be??? how is that even though they have names on the files them selves the finder cant locate them? I know what your referring to as database number, but once there un-hid, you go into the folders and see the actual mp3 files and they have names, and some numbers in the titles as well...so Im confused as to why the search in the finder cant locate the names on the mp3's.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    fahlmanfahlman Posts: 740member
  • Reply 4 of 6
    hypoluxahypoluxa Posts: 694member
    Quote:

Originally posted by fahlman

iPod Viewer

perfect ! thanx!
  • Reply 5 of 6
    fahlmanfahlman Posts: 740member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hypoluxa

perfect ! thanx!

You're welcome.

MacUpdate is your friend.. Click that link, type iPod Viewer in the search box, hit Enter. That's how I found it. You'll find a few other apps, besides iPod Viewer, that you can try too.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Using an iPod shuffle I used tinker tool to allow hidden files. You can open the iPod_Control folder and then Music and F00 and then the songs are all listed. If you want to search you select the F00 (in column view) and use the search bar for selection. You can do this is turn for each F0# folder.