Preferred Beers and Beer Styles

Comments

• Reply 21 of 69
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

Originally posted by talksense101

Corona with lime... yummy!

Ewwwwww! I've always thought Corona just tasted like skunky beer.

Add a lime and it tastes like skunky beer with lime!

But to each his own
  • Reply 22 of 69
    meecesmeeces Posts: 160member
    Local beer, although it can be found in some other locations, it's made by lost coast, called Great White, yummy! lostcoast.com
  • Reply 23 of 69
    rob2786rob2786 Posts: 34member
    1)Becks gold

2)Paulaner (Hefeweizen)

3)Moosehead (too bad you cant get it in europe)
  • Reply 24 of 69
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    Mmmm, beer... one of my favourite subjects

1: Guinness on draught.

2: Smithwicks Ale.

3: Macardles ale, Nice.

4: Heineken, nice and cold.

5: Porterhouse Plain (award winning microbrewery, excellent beers!)

6: Tooheys New (great Aussie beer)

7: Boags (excellent Aussie brand)

8: Speights Gold Medal Ale (New Zealands finest)

9: kronenbourg 1664 (nice French lager)

10: Whatever's on SPECIAL
  • Reply 25 of 69
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Favorite beer to binge on: Mich Ultra...
  • Reply 26 of 69
    danmacmandanmacman Posts: 773member
    All-time favorite is the great American Lager, Miller High Life. Cheap and satisfying.
  • Reply 27 of 69
    spcmsspcms Posts: 407member

I'm from Belgium, so i guess i can consider myself lucky.
  • Reply 28 of 69
    Ahh, Duvel packs quite a punch. From the picture, you may rightly surmise that caution is required in pouring.
  • Reply 29 of 69
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac The Fork

Ahh, Duvel packs quite a punch. From the picture, you may rightly surmise that caution is required in pouring.

if your referring to the foam, you want a good head on a beer. that's where a great deal of the flavor comes from.

try ordering a pils in germany. it will generally take them 5-10 minutes to pour one for you. they could pour down the side and get it to you in a jiffy like you're likely to get in an american bar, but what fun is that.
  • Reply 30 of 69
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

Dude, Heineken is disgusting. Seriously.

Not so... I used to think it a little on the 'sharp' side but after travelling quite a bit I came to the conclusion that it's a beer that has a consistant taste (depending on ABV) no matter where bought.

The Heineken that used to come out of Britain was a pretty poor imitation of the real thing and (thank God!) we don't get that anymore. 5% ABV imported from Holland is the stuff you should be tasting

Anyhow, if you're ever in Dublin, take yourself along to the "Porterhouse" in Temple Bar... it has some seriously good brews... REAL beer
  • Reply 31 of 69
    Oh.. and don't pay too much attention to the order of my list, I will drink whichever, depending where I am and if there's a 'run' on a particular beer.
  • Reply 32 of 69
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

It's about preference. Holland has a hard water table, so the beers from Holland tend to to have a certain "hardness" to them. Grolsch is a bit stronger than Heineken.

As I mentioned, I like them, but I think Guiness and Boddingtons are very mild. . . almost too mild to make me realize I'm drinking beer. Carlsberg is not a bad choice either, but again it's milder than Heineken or Grolsch. Carlsberg reminds me of Moosehead.

What appears to be the case is that you just don't like Pilsners.
  • Reply 33 of 69
    The reason I singled out Duvel is that it had by far the biggest head and most head retention of any beer I've tried. No matter how carefully or gingerly you pour it, the head is huge and tenacious.
  • Reply 34 of 69
    spcmsspcms Posts: 407member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac The Fork

The reason I singled out Duvel is that it had by far the biggest head and most head retention of any beer I've tried. No matter how carefully or gingerly you pour it, the head is huge and tenacious.

Funny story. My student organization had a Duvel-for-1? night last year (quite a night it was), so they got plastic duvel glasses. My God, no matter how cautiously you poured it, you got nothing but head. Because things weren't moving fast enough, we soon figured out drinking from the bottles was the easiest way to go.

Other funny story. There's a standing bet in one of the bars here. You have to drink 8 Duvels ad fundum in under an hour. You pay 25? for each attempt. The total amount you can win is over 1000? by now, but even the biggest beer lovers are apparently not up to the task.

Btw, i don't think there is anything 'mild' about Guiness, but maybe that's just me
  • Reply 35 of 69
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

What appears to be the case is that you just don't like Pilsners.

well, i'm from holland and i don't like our own beer either, it gives me a headache.

i prefer "de Koninck" a belgium beer from antwerpen, because it lacks the ability to give me an instand headache.

also nice:

la chouffe

leffe blond

hoegaarden witbier
  • Reply 36 of 69
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SpcMs

Btw, i don't think there is anything 'mild' about Guiness, but maybe that's just me

It's not very bitter, the alcohol content is low, and the texture isn't any thicker than a Pilsner Urquell, which incidentally I find to be a much sharper (i.e. less mild) beer than Guiness.
  • Reply 37 of 69
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

It's not very bitter, the alcohol content is low, and the texture isn't any thicker than a Pilsner Urquell, which incidentally I find to be a much sharper (i.e. less mild) beer than Guiness.

Guinness is an acquired taste which doesn't suit everyone and brewed in many different countries to slightly different recipes (to suit the 'locals').

The 'real' thing is roughly 5% ABV, moderately thick, creamy and slightly bitter. If you're ever over in Eire, try a pint and you'll certainly see a big difference

On that note, when I was in Australia a few years back they had Guinness on draught in most bars, but this was brewed to a different recipe. People demanded the "Irish recipe" and eventually it was introduced. Sales of the black stuff rocketed!
  • Reply 38 of 69
    Top 5, not in order:

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout (lighter yet sronger than guiness)

Guiness

Grolsh Amber

Sam Adams

Juengling Black and Tan

For the record, Olympia tastes most like water.

Schlitz Ice is the worst beer ever made.

In a pinch, Rolling Rock isn't bad.
  • Reply 39 of 69
    mccrabmccrab Posts: 201member
    Quote:

The Heineken you get in Hong Kong is somewhat variable in quality, primarily due to oxidation. Try a freshly brewed draft Heineken - nectar of the God's!
  • Reply 40 of 69
    I'm a home brewer and I really enjoy making a good honey wheat beer but I also make a few different lagers. On the rare occasion that I buy beer I usually buy Leinenkugel.