new 40"/44" cinema display coming?

Comments

• Reply 61 of 84
    Quote:

Originally posted by mikenap

I love the idea of using two smaller monitors, and many (including myself) use this on a daily basis, but in my book, there's no way around the distraction that the gap between the monitors makes compared to one big work area.

i've been thinking about this and i think i PREFER having two smaller workspaces.

i like having a much wider workspace than tall. the 30" i tried at the apple store was actually too tall imo. i don't want to be required to move my head up and down to see my whole workspace. side to side is much more natural.

the other issue is this: most of us need all that workspace for the many many pallettes we have in our apps. pallettes that are seperate and distinct from the content. when you go into the two other display modes of most graphics apps (full screen with content centered, and in photoshop's case, full-screen with black background centered), no matter how large the monitor, the pallettes on a single monitor will still intrude on the content's workspace.

given the choice between 2 23" monitors where the content is in a relatively isolated window (the top toolbar and the single vertical toolbar for me in photoshop) in one monitor and the pallettes in another monitor seperated by the monitor break and one gigantic monitor with the same viewable area as the 2 23" together, i'll pick the two monitors every time.

factor in that two monitors of half the gigantic monitor's resolution will ALWAYS be less dollars/square inch than the single monitor solution and i don't forsee ever choosing the single monitor solution for myself.

i suppose if i were only using iApps or any other single-window interface (like web browsing) a single monitor solution would be better.
  • Reply 62 of 84
    garypgaryp Posts: 150member
    Samsung about to unveil 82 incher:

Article Here

Quote:

Samsung Electronics is at least one year ahead of the competition in terms of using 7th-generation production technology to make modules of 40 inches, 46 inches and 57 inches. It is therefore in a position to take an early lead in the fast-growing market for large-screen, wall-hanging TVs.

The article also notes that Samsung supplies LCD panels to Apple.
  • Reply 63 of 84
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

Originally posted by garyp

Samsung about to unveil 82 incher:

Article Here

The article also notes that Samsung supplies LCD panels to Apple.

Holy cow! flat screen TVs are moving too fast, it does not make sense to buy one until they calm down. This is kind of like how surround sound receivers were 5 years ago - people that bought $X000 receivers and pre-amps saw them become obsolete in 6 months.
  • Reply 64 of 84
    junkyard dawgjunkyard dawg Posts: 2,801member
    Ermm, you know, there is such a thing as "too big". Why not boost the resolution on the current 30 incher?

As someone who's been told by women more than a few times that I'm "too big," I think we need to focus on what's important in a display. Do we want something we can set across the room from us to work on, or do we want something that fills our field of vision at a desk while offering the most detailed images possible?
  • Reply 65 of 84
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg

Ermm, you know, there is such a thing as "too big". Why not boost the resolution on the current 30 incher?

As someone who's been told by women more than a few times that I'm "too big," I think we need to focus on what's important in a display. Do we want something we can set across the room from us to work on, or do we want something that fills our field of vision at a desk while offering the most detailed images possible?

Stands up from his chair, "Yes, I'm big to, uuuhhh and the other stuff".:
  • Reply 66 of 84
    anandanand Posts: 285member
    Our center is buying two 30 inch monitors for remote iChat. In fact, our department is buying multiple sets. We would love to have a single larger monitor.
  • Reply 67 of 84
    Quote:

Originally posted by anand

Our center is buying two 30 inch monitors for remote iChat. In fact, our department is buying multiple sets. We would love to have a single larger monitor.

Yeah, well uhh we're finally getting our coffee machine fixed.

What are the iChat monitors for? This sounds kind of COOL.
  • Reply 68 of 84
    Quote:

Ermm, you know, there is such a thing as "too big". Do we want something we can set across the room from us to work on, or do we want something that fills our field of vision at a desk while offering the most detailed images possible?

Who needs a desk when you could get an 82 inch monitor? We need to stop thinking like slaves. While I'm at it, I'll scrap the keyboard as well & use voice interface. It would be like talking to a wall of color that obeys your commands.
  • Reply 69 of 84
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gugy

Well, many people do like graphic designers, 3D and video editors demand real state screen. They now are using dual 30", but they would use a single 40" if they could.

Are you kidding me? If you're in any of those professions, and you can't get by with 1 30" or 2 23", then your a f****** pussy. Give me a f****** break.
  • Reply 70 of 84
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Quote:

Who needs a desk when you could get an 82 inch monitor? We need to stop thinking like slaves. While I'm at it, I'll scrap the keyboard as well & use voice interface. It would be like talking to a wall of color that obeys your commands.

That would be cool...!

Now imagine the same idea with an Apple 40"(44") Plasme 1920x1080 HD display/monitor attached to a Mac mini...

Or, for the HTPC/Mac mini fanatics, MOSR also talks about an Apple home media center device, which could also be a hardware device needed for the (rumorhetically speaking) new iTMS...

The iTunes Movie Store...!

But wonder what kind of price a 82" LCD brings? I know that Samsung has a 80" Plasma 1920x1080 D display, and that runs around US$45,000!

Maybe the 82" Samsung LCD display is the worlds first six figure LCD monitor!

Imagine using it with some sort of tracking device, and running your own little CAVE...
  • Reply 71 of 84
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by webmail

forget about it, please.

i understand the bling world you life in is different to the everyday reality i see around me. very good. hold tight.
  • Reply 72 of 84
    Quote:

Sweet, and when it crashes you can say my wall is driving me up ........
  • Reply 73 of 84
    Quote:

Originally posted by gar

forget about it, please.

i understand the bling world you life in is different to the everyday reality i see around me. very good. hold tight.

Welcome to the Lifestyles of the Rich and Graphic Designers. It?s true; I'm yet to walk into a graphic/publishing house that doesn?t use antiquated equipment. They usually use their equipment until the machine says I can?t take it anymore.
  • Reply 74 of 84
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    Quote:

Originally posted by the cool gut

Are you kidding me? If you're in any of those professions, and you can't get by with 1 30" or 2 23", then your a f****** pussy. Give me a f****** break.

First, you can keep your nice words for yourself and your family.

What I said is, If there is an option to bigger monitors professional people will jump into it. I did not say that you cannot do work on the 23" or 30" monitors.

Read the post before commenting on it.
  • Reply 75 of 84
    Quote:

Originally posted by the cool gut

Who wants to merely "get by" when you can wallow in technology? Someone whose entire concept in life is to "get by" is a bore, especially when they are being rude & insulting.
  • Reply 76 of 84
    junkyard dawgjunkyard dawg Posts: 2,801member
    Quote:

Who wants to merely "get by" when you can wallow in technology? Someone whose entire concept in life is to "get by" is a bore, especially when they are being rude & insulting.

No you know what a bore is? Someone who lets corporate marketing departments drive their whims and desires.
  • Reply 77 of 84
    Quote:

No you know what a bore is? Someone who lets corporate marketing departments drive their whims and desires.

Yeah, I hate people like that.
  • Reply 78 of 84
    webmailwebmail Posts: 639member
    Okay I'm tired of Mac OS X rumors. If anyone has the time to maintain a site that rips them apart and challenges them post by post I'll provide the domain name and hosting. Anyone?

Quote:

Originally posted by gugy

Well, Here comes MOSR again:

http://www.macosrumors.com/20050305B.php

"Mike Madowitz writes: Any word on those rumors of an uber-big display from a month or two ago? Would This introduction occur along with the much anticipated G5 revision, or is the consensus that a display lineup change will focus on a lower-end display and possibly come independently?

Right now, we think there will be two major display changes this year; the first will be a new entry-level flat panel display -- almost certainly a widescreen 17-inch model. This will probably be released on its own in a few months' time.

Then, alongside the release of the Xstation (or new high-end variant under the PowerMac brand) we expect a 16:9 ultra-widescreen flat panel (not necessarily LCD) in the 40 to 45-inch range to take over as Apple's new flagship display. Resolution will be pushing the limits of Dual Link DVI. "

I would be amazed if that happens this year. It makes sense to back up the "Year of HD" but my feeling is that such big monitor might come at WWDC 2006. But, I hope I am wrong and MOSR right!

• Reply 79 of 84
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Anyone who thinks a 40" display is too big is obviously not an artist. They are also obviously young. Older eyes can not deal with a lot of tiny detail at close range. You have no idea what this is like until it happens to you. I would buy a 60" display if Apple made one, and love it.

I am young, and I have trouble wioth the 30 inch display, the text in a web browser or email app is too tiny for my eyes, buy FCP and ADOBE *CS rule on the 30 inch.
  • Reply 80 of 84
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    Quote:

Fair enough, I'll admit I've got a pretty bad potty mouth, but there was no ill will behind my comments.

I'm not aware of any applications that you can open all menu windows and even come close to filling up a 30 incher. I mean, Jesus, how in the fuck do you mouse around two 30" monitors?