Dictionary in Tiger

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Am I right in thinking that there will be a full dictionary in Tiger (as a widget)

If so .. how bloody usefull will that be, I had one for os9 but have never found one for osX, I just use google.

Has anyone used it, is it any good and is there one you would recommend i use in the mean time. (onnline or an app)

j.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    endymionendymion Posts: 375member
    You could always use Sherlock in the meantime which gets it's info from dictionary.com
  • Reply 2 of 26
    johnrpjohnrp Posts: 357member
    I'm taking a look at it right now...

Thanks

j.
  • Reply 3 of 26
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Endymion

You could always use Sherlock in the meantime which gets it's info from dictionary.com

Speaking of which, Is that app going to exist in tiger? It seems to me like the widgets would replace it. And if it id there, will it be in the default dock?
  • Reply 4 of 26
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

Speaking of which, Is that app going to exist in tiger? It seems to me like the widgets would replace it. And if it id there, will it be in the default dock?

Latest builds include a Dictionary application, plus a nifty Dictionary widget which draws from the same local definitions database (so it can be used if you're offline).

I'm really quite excited about this. There is simply no nice, speedy, compact, find-as-you-type professional offline dictionary application for OS X. I was using the ancient-but-still-great circa-1994 American Heritage Dictionary for quite a while... until I couldn't take running Classic anymore, just for that one bloody app.
  • Reply 5 of 26
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    I think he's wondering if Sherlock will be included.
  • Reply 6 of 26
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by the cool gut

I think he's wondering if Sherlock will be included.

Whoops, you're right. I let my excitement get the better of my reading skills.

Dunno if Sherlock will be included. Probably yes and probably no longer in the Dock and probably not with the next release after Tiger, would be my guess.
  • Reply 7 of 26
    mmmpiemmmpie Posts: 628member
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnrp

If so .. how bloody usefull will that be, I had one for os9 but have never found one for osX, I just use google.

I use omnidictionary, a freebe from omnigroup.com

Much better day to day results than using google.
  • Reply 8 of 26
    arbernautarbernaut Posts: 182member
    Does the dictionary include a thesaurus? Is it part of the Services menu so that any Services aware app can take advantage of it?
  • Reply 9 of 26
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Arbernaut

Does the dictionary include a thesaurus?

Yes.

Quote:

Is it part of the Services menu so that any Services aware app can take advantage of it?

No.
  • Reply 10 of 26
    arbernautarbernaut Posts: 182member
    Do you think it'd be easy for some pioneering young soul to make it part of the services menu...?
  • Reply 11 of 26
    webmailwebmail Posts: 639member
    Oxford English dictionary. You'll even see it install near the end in the 10.4 installer. Nice to see the worked a deal with Oxford. The widget used to access the dictionary says Thesaurus as well but I couldn't access the Thesaurus part.

Quote:

Am I right in thinking that there will be a full dictionary in Tiger (as a widget)

Has anyone used it, is it any good and is there one you would recommend i use in the mean time. (onnline or an app)

j.

• Reply 12 of 26
    mr skillsmr skills Posts: 144member
    Apple's UK site says the dictionary is based on "The New Oxford American Dictionary".

Does this mean Apple is joining Microsoft's campaign to make us all write "color" and "aluminum"?
  • Reply 13 of 26
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

Do you think it'd be easy for some pioneering young soul to make it part of the services menu...?

I think some pioneering young soul in Cupertino already did ... at least on the version of Tiger that I used.
  • Reply 14 of 26
    Quote:

j.

Lemme just say, "It's quite useful and you'll probably like it."
  • Reply 15 of 26
    Quote:

Does the dictionary include a thesaurus? Is it part of the Services menu so that any Services aware app can take advantage of it?

Yes and yes.

The Service "Look Up in Dictionary" does not open the widget though - it opens the Dictionary.app. Control-click on a selected word and you can "Look Up in Dictionary". Control-click on a selected word that is mispelled and you will get a selection of possibles (this works in Panther, and I think Jaguar as well).
  • Reply 16 of 26
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr Skills

Apple's UK site says the dictionary is based on "The New Oxford American Dictionary".

Does this mean Apple is joining Microsoft's campaign to make us all write "color" and "aluminum"?

and phosphorous which children in the UK are taught differently. But Apple is generally quite respectful, so is M$ with Office
  • Reply 17 of 26
    mr skillsmr skills Posts: 144member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

and phosphorous which children in the UK are taught differently. But Apple is generally quite respectful, so is M$ with Office

M$ are only respectful because they have been burned by the public outcry (certainly here in the UK) when they have tried to force American English before (particularly with the "World English" Dictionary fiasco).

Back to my original question though - can anyone confirm that the dictionary will be in UK English in the UK? Or for that matter, in French in France, etc.?

Oh, and while we're at it, does anyone know if they have plans to make the yellow pages widget work outside the US? Since we have yellow pages online over here, I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to implement.

I notice that they've already extended the flight thing so it's not just America any more. It can be frustrating to see all these cool features and then realise I can't use half of them...
  • Reply 18 of 26
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

M$ are only respectful because they have been burned by the public outcry (certainly here in the UK) when they have tried to force American English before (particularly with the "World English" Dictionary fiasco).

Back to my original question though - can anyone confirm that the dictionary will be in UK English in the UK? Or for that matter, in French in France, etc.?

Oh, and while we're at it, does anyone know if they have plans to make the yellow pages widget work outside the US? Since we have yellow pages online over here, I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to implement.

I notice that they've already extended the flight thing so it's not just America any more. It can be frustrating to see all these cool features and then realise I can't use half of them...

yeah, i hope so too, anyone in UK got a pre-release?
  • Reply 19 of 26
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Why will Apple not include an RSS reader widget? that would be the killer tie-in to Safari rss, have your stocks and headlines from WSJ, NYT, yada yada...well, looks like a good time to learn Apple widget development w00t

Oh and a mail widget...shows you the from address and subject of any new messages and when one is clicked calls up mail.app (this could be modified to work with T-bird or entourage)

well...I better stop giving away mi widget ideas...till I develope them this summer
  • Reply 20 of 26
    Quote:

That's only a couple of words, and there aren't that many more that are commonly used. Seriously, how hard could it be to just add those words.