Shareware app for monitoring airport leeching?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
A couple of years ago I had a little app on my ibook that enabled me to see if anyone was leeching my airport bandwidth on an un-encrypted network. I can't remember its name. Can anyone help?. Thanks. (by the way, my network is unencrypted when I need to get my Xbox online wirelessly)

Comments

• Reply 2 of 5
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jonnyb

A couple of years ago I had a little app on my ibook that enabled me to see if anyone was leeching my airport bandwidth on an un-encrypted network. I can't remember its name. Can anyone help?. Thanks. (by the way, my network is unencrypted when I need to get my Xbox online wirelessly)

why don't you use MAC address filtering? you can still run your network visible and without WEP or any encryption, yet with MAC address filtering only "trusted" devices like your Xbox and your Apple machines will be able to access Internet data and stuff.....

for me this is the best balance between keeping the network open enough to prevent problems for devices to connect, yet filters out only devices you allow.

every wireless-enabled device theoretically has a UNIQUE m.a.c. address...

other geniuses here should be able to chime in if you need help with configuring your airport with this issue... just post back here if you think this approach could work for you... coz this way you don't have to keep checking for leechers, you can sleep a bit more soundly at night...

AFAIK airport base station should handle MAC address filtering quite well...
  • Reply 3 of 5
    jonnybjonnyb Posts: 64member
    Thanks very much for the replies. The first one was exactly what I was looking for and enables me to easily see the MAC addresses of the devices I'd need to filter if I want to implement answer 2. Perfect! Thanks again to the both of you
  • Reply 4 of 5
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    I'm no crack with Terminal, but here's what shows up when I try to install HostMonitor by typing in java -jar HostMonitor.jar.

Exception in thread "main" java.util.zip.ZipException: No such file or directory

at java.util.zip.ZipFile.open(Native Method)

at java.util.zip.ZipFile.<init>(ZipFile.java:112)

at java.util.jar.JarFile.<init>(JarFile.java:127)

at java.util.jar.JarFile.<init>(JarFile.java:65)

Can anyone help me out with this one? Do I Software Update my Java?

--B
  • Reply 5 of 5
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Got it going all by myself. Thanks anyways...

--B