Apple Developing New Palmtop Mac

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Hard to still have hope for an Apple palmtop, but the rumor that never completely dies woke up again this morning: http://www.powerpage.org/cgi-bin/Web...y?newsID=14284

"Remember Apple's eMate 300 from the early nineties? (nicknamed "Eat Me" by developers). It was a kind of Batman green and a fab little flat lap Newton. The PowerPage EU bureau has been beamed some details of a secret development team planning specifications for the release of a new mini laptop. (It goes well with their current mini theme. -Ed). Deep in the Apple cave these slim little mini pocketops are doing the rounds and getting a lot of great feedback. Sources who claim to have see one have commented to the PowerPage that an internal planning spec details that the new machines runs a stripped-down flavor of Mac OS X. We're told that it will finally utilize Apple's Inkwell technology to "write anywhere" and neatly fold into your pocket - rather like an enlarged Motorola RAZR V3 mobile phone with a keyboard.

Hush hush we never told you, it's hot and from the PowerPage"

edit: Sorry for the long title, but it didn't look that way when I hit the post button.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 48
    thttht Posts: 5,444member
    Hehe. Powerpage is probably worse than Macosrumors. Reliability of zero.

So, are they predicting a mini laptop or a palm sized computer?
  • Reply 2 of 48
    Hmmm.. the iBook mini.
  • Reply 3 of 48
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Does it exist? Most likely.

Apple has engineering projects on the go that work on the entire range of computing form factors.

The Apple Palm exists, and I have no doubt that there full computer spec that's being worked on in a palmtop form factor.

Will it ever ship? That's the question. Until rumour sites can provide proper specs, timelines or release dates, they should leave the "Apple in a Palm" idea alone.

It serves no purpose to restart conversations we've been having for five years or more without new info.
  • Reply 4 of 48
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    you need to add more words to the title cause i just cant figure out what this thread is about.
  • Reply 5 of 48
    tchwojkotchwojko Posts: 139member
    Quote:

It serves no purpose to restart conversations we've been having for five years or more without new info.

I had to scroll up and double check...yup...this is the Future Hardware forum. I didn't realize information was a requirement for these threads...
  • Reply 6 of 48
    erbiumerbium Posts: 354member
    Anyone here remember the old 4 product matrix?
  • Reply 7 of 48
    gsxrboygsxrboy Posts: 565member
    Quote:

Originally posted by THT

Hehe. ....Reliability of zero.

Didnt they break asteroid first?
  • Reply 8 of 48
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

you need to add more words to the title cause i just cant figure out what this thread is about.

did you read the edit? I had cut and paste the first part of the title, but it didn't show so I wrote my own. Then when i posted it all showed up. Sorry for the pain and suffering I've caused.
  • Reply 9 of 48
    aphelionaphelion Posts: 736member
    Form Factor: one inch slice of Mac mini
  • Reply 10 of 48
    Quote:

Originally posted by Frank777

If you want accurate info on shipping products I suggest you go to www.apple.com.

I said at the top that I know this is an old and dubious topic but, hey, if you have better things to do, I suggest you don't waste your time in this forum.

Jeez, tough crowd around here today. Guess I'll go back to Political Outsider for some peace and quite.
  • Reply 11 of 48
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Carson O'Genic

If you want accurate info on shipping products I suggest you go to www.apple.com.

I said at the top that I know this is an old and dubious topic but, hey, if you have better things to do, I suggest you don't waste your time in this forum.

Jeez, tough crowd around here today. Guess I'll go back to Political Outsider for some peace and quite.

Ok I'll believe it when I see it.

But it better be better than my TREO 650 and about the same size. Or give me something that I just didn't think I needed.

otherwise, I'm afraid, it's a decade too late.
  • Reply 12 of 48
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    Carson, glad you started this thread. A pocket Mac is a very exciting prospect, very possible and desirable. Apple could sell millions of them! Touchscreen, Inkwell, lots of Tiger goodies like Dashboard widgets, iTunes, iCal, Mail, Safari RSS, and on and on. Look at the success of the Mac mini and iPod and imagine the impact of a pocket Mac. Awesome!

I hope this is real and can be released in time for the holidays. Please, let it be true!!!
  • Reply 13 of 48
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rolo

Carson, glad you started this thread. A pocket Mac is a very exciting prospect, very possible and desirable. Apple could sell millions of them! Touchscreen, Inkwell, lots of Tiger goodies like Dashboard widgets, iTunes, iCal, Mail, Safari RSS, and on and on. Look at the success of the Mac mini and iPod and imagine the impact of a pocket Mac. Awesome!

I hope this is real and can be released in time for the holidays. Please, let it be true!!!

I think Apple Palmtop = Apple iMovie Store.

The MAc palmtop is nothing but a foldable screen disguised as a computer but mainly for watching Movies bought from the Movie Store.

Remember Tiger will have H.264 and the market is screaming for downloadable movies.

Just imagine, if this MAc palmtop has NTSC/PAL output it will be the video Player/Recorder/Library of the century.

Just my 2 cents.
  • Reply 14 of 48
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Its all about timing isn't it? Six months ago there wouldn't be a hope in hell of this sort of product appearing but now....well...

Java/http/Dashboard is the way to go, but doesn't it have to also be an iPod AND a phone for it to have any chance?

I'd buy one of course but then I've got Steve's portrait tattooed on my arse....
  • Reply 15 of 48
    geekdreamsgeekdreams Posts: 280member
    Quote:

Originally posted by vinney57

Its all about timing isn't it? Six months ago there wouldn't be a hope in hell of this sort of product appearing but now....well...

Java/http/Dashboard is the way to go, but doesn't it have to also be an iPod AND a phone for it to have any chance?

No, just an iPod. I don't think they could build a phone into a form factor that works for all the other stuff, like watching movies and surfing the web. But if it runs iTunes, it will work as The New iPod in addition to being a full-fledged (well, maybe half-fledged) Mac.
  • Reply 16 of 48
    thttht Posts: 5,444member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gsxrboy

Didnt they break asteroid first?

Don't recall. But 90% of Powerpage's rumors are completely made up. You read PP rumors to have some fun only. If they got it right for Asteroid, good for them, but that doesn't negate the fact that 90% of the rumors are completely made up. Laughably bad rumors.

If Apple is going to make a palm top computer, as opposed to a 8" or 10" laptop, I hope they go with a Treo 650, Blackberry or iPaq 6500 form factor. A QWERTY thumb-board is required for me. I can maybe live with a flip screen form factor too.
  • Reply 17 of 48
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    ok a good nights sleep and I am a bit more optimistic about the prospect.

however in lieu of a phone then apple must bundle with this mythical puppy a GPS chip. Then it is useful in the car or as a mobile map for travellers.

take a look at maps.google.com and zoom in to see the utility of a mini like device and imagine gps and wifi.

also. as long as we are in fantasy land how about a networking protocol based on zigbee or dust? this way all pieces of hardware are the network rather than a hub and spoke design.

This mini laptop would then be very useful as the itunes remote, gps map, mobile web browser, video ipod, and all around more useful piece of equipment.

Perhaps if they buy some chips from Sony it could also play some PSP games.

and as long as the fantasy continues the PSP could connect to itms and play protected AAC

We shall see
  • Reply 18 of 48
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Oh no, not another Apple PDA/Handtop thread. I was just getting over the Cell fiasco.
  • Reply 19 of 48
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Carson O'Genic

did you read the edit? I had cut and paste the first part of the title, but it didn't show so I wrote my own. Then when i posted it all showed up. Sorry for the pain and suffering I've caused.

no i didnt see the edit. i was gonna sue for damages, but i guess i'll let it slide this time. ok i'll shut up now so this thread stays on topic.
  • Reply 20 of 48
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    Perhaps this is just Steve spreading wild-ass rumors within Apple to track down the asteroid leaker.