Powerbook G4 paint peeling?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
i have a pretty new Powerbook, 15' 1.5ghz G4 that I bought in August, and the paint is peeling right below the keyboard, where my hands usually are when i am typing on the keyboard

is this a regular issue with the powerbooks? is there anything i can do?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

Originally posted by djmb

i have a pretty new Powerbook, 15' 1.5ghz G4 that I bought in August, and the paint is peeling right below the keyboard, where my hands usually are when i am typing on the keyboard

is this a regular issue with the powerbooks? is there anything i can do?

paint?

--B
  • Reply 2 of 27
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    If the paint is peeling you don't have a new Powerbook. You have one of the first two Titanium models released.

And yes, it was a known issue a few years ago. you can get replacement paint (which sucks), live with the peels (which sucks), or scrape off the pant and leave the bare meta underneath (which sucks)
  • Reply 3 of 27
    quagmirequagmire Posts: 558member
    Yeah, there is no way for paint to peel since there is no paint on the aluminum Powerbooks.
  • Reply 4 of 27
    Apple Menu --> About this Mac

Do you have a

1.0 GHz Tibook?

or a painted Aluminum 1.5 GHz PB?

--B
  • Reply 5 of 27
    djmbdjmb Posts: 120member
    i have an aluminum 1.5 that i got directly from the Apple store

it's not peeling but theres like black specs where my hands are when I type on the keyboard, i guess it's corroding ?
  • Reply 6 of 27
    Quote:

i have an aluminum 1.5 that i got directly from the Apple store

it's not peeling but theres like black specs where my hands are when I type on the keyboard, i guess it's corroding ?

Post a photo.

--B
  • Reply 7 of 27
    i do'nt have a camera here. i'll have to wait till i'm home for break which is in 12 days
  • Reply 9 of 27
    so what should I do ? any responses?
  • Reply 10 of 27
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

dude, how long have you used it for?

i have seen a much worse 'paint peeling' issue on a 12" aluBook, used by a programmer who probably was on it 20 hours a day.... i was a bit shocked really, by its appearance, i thought it was mostly dirt and stuff that you could rub off...

hmmm i think this could be a quality issue.... not sure what to do about it. i'm scared of macrumors.com because there are always waaaay too many posts to read, and most posters don't read all the posts before posting
  • Reply 11 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by quagmire

Yeah, there is no way for paint to peel since there is no paint on the aluminum Powerbooks.

i think there is some issue with the surface material... as the pic shows and something i've seen personally (see my above post)

hmmmm i am a bit skeptical on the Alubooks now
  • Reply 12 of 27
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

i think there is some issue with the surface material... as the pic shows and something i've seen personally (see my above post)

hmmmm i am a bit skeptical on the Alubooks now

Though I think aluminum is a novel idea for a Powerbook I?m liking it less and less. It dents, attracts fingerprints and it?s bulky looking. Time for a new material, any suggestions?

What happened to your notebook is not uncommon; there is someone in my office with the same problem. We believe its do to not cleaning the surface before applying the paint/sealant/fairy dust or whatever the substance is that?s covering the Powerbook.
  • Reply 13 of 27
    ilawilaw Posts: 15member
    Is the PowerBook's casing made out of pure Aluminium or does it have a protection material over the metal (other than the natural oxidisation i.e. rusting)?
  • Reply 14 of 27
    9secondko9secondko Posts: 929member
  • Reply 15 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by 9secondko

huh?
  • Reply 16 of 27
    Quote:

i downloaded your Lucid Dreams mix

*sigh* i am riding high and smooth... beautiful.... and mostly sourced from vinyl right? mmm.... vinyl

hey check out this short melodic trance clip i made:

http://www.phatcraft.com/gates_of_nirvana.mp3

with regard to your Alubook issue, i have done some further reading on macrumors, thanks to a bit of energy from your Mix

like i said, i have seen a bad case of this, so the bad news is that it could get worse. the good news is that it is very very likely to be a defect, because people have reported heavy usage without this happening... IMO apple should take care of this, it is a bit of a f8ck up in the materials where this has happened... i don't buy the 'sweat chemistry' theory some people at macrumors are putting up

ahhhhh.... back to your mix...... good luck i'll write back if i find anything
  • Reply 17 of 27
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

If yours looks like the one in that photo, I think you ought to see what Apple will do about it.

If there is an Apple store nearby, that would be my first try. If no luck there, you should call for an RMA.

The final route on all these things is this email address, not some of the others that you have seen:

[email protected]

Polite but firm notes to this address often actually get attention. I have personally had it happen.
  • Reply 19 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by lundy

If yours looks like the one in that photo, I think you ought to see what Apple will do about it.

If there is an Apple store nearby, that would be my first try. If no luck there, you should call for an RMA.

The final route on all these things is this email address, not some of the others that you have seen:

[email protected]

Polite but firm notes to this address often actually get attention. I have personally had it happen.

are you joking?
  • Reply 20 of 27
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

are you joking?

Not at all. Someone reads every one of those and if it clearly states a persistent problem, someone will call or email you. I have used it several times, and several of the members at BroadbandReports have had a reply also.