predictions, any thoughts, anything powerbook related

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
just post any predictions or thoughts that you have about the apple powerbook about the PBG5, better GPU's, etc

anything powerbook related goes...

(you can complain a little but not as much to the point that the thread doesnt have anything to do with the future powerbook)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    ibook911ibook911 Posts: 607member
    Well, I love how people were awaiting Powerbooks two updates away, before the last update came out five weeks ago.

I guess five weeks makes the next speculation a little more acceptable, but I'm not sure. I purchased the newest 12 inch Powerbook. Yes, the Powerbooks can probably use an overhaul, but I sure like the current line. It is hard for me to see a better "look" from the next Powerbooks, but that is something Apple rarely disappoints with these days. The products seem to always be attractive.

From what I have read, we cannot expect a G5 Powerbook anytime soon. Perhaps a version of the G5 chips will be available by early next year making it more appropriate for notebook use? We've also read the speculation that the Powerbooks may go to dual-core G4s in an update, but that the dual-core chips are not going to be available until the Fall?

Overall, I'm not holding my breath for a new generation of Powerbooks anytime soon. Of course, since I own the newest update, I wouldn't mind not seeing an update, for quite some time. However, I think it will be exciting to see what Apple pulls out in the future. I think they could always surprise us, but I'm still not confident in seeing something big before fall. In the meantime, I will enjoy my Powerbook. Surely they can work to give much better graphic cards in a new generation of Powerbooks, and I would also like to see Apple go with 7200 RPM drives, which professional notebooks deserve. Don't get me wrong though, I was very grateful Apple made 5400 RPM drives standard with the current line of Powerbooks.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    thttht Posts: 5,421member
    I predict, actually wishfully believe, Apple will come out with Powerbook G5 in the June time frame. How will they do this? They will drop the 17" Powerbook G4 from the lineup, but keep the 12" and 15" Powerbook G4 as midrange laptops and drop their prices about $100 to $200. Occupying the $2200+ price range will be 1.4" thick 15" and 17" Powerbook G5s ranging from 1.8 to 2 GHz 970GX (Antares single-core processor), with 600/667 MHz bus, 128 MB Radeon 9800 mobiity, 512 MB PC3200, optional 1680x1050 screen for the 15" and 1920x1200 screen for the 17" and the usual other features in an Apple laptop.

IBM will fab the 970GX at 90 nm using dual liners and low-k, bringing the max power consumption to 35 watts at 2 GHz and 1.1V.

• Reply 3 of 15
    This would be a decent idea I think. It would make the transition easier too, for I wouldn't care about new Powerbooks so soon, since I wouldn't want such a big machine, although it certainly has a market.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    Quote:

Originally posted by THT

They will drop the 17" Powerbook G4 from the lineup, but keep the 12" and 15" Powerbook G4 as midrange laptops...

I think the 12-incher is the odd-man out. Remember the kext references of OS X 10.3.5 (I think that was the rev) that there were 2 PowerBook models that sported the SMU_Neo2 specs. So either they update the 15" and 17" to G5s and leave the 12" at G4 status, or there is no real differentiation between an iBook and PowerBook and drop the 12" model altogether.

• Reply 5 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rhumgod

I think the 12-incher is the odd-man out. Remember the kext references of OS X 10.3.5 (I think that was the rev) that there were 2 PowerBook models that sported the SMU_Neo2 specs. So either they update the 15" and 17" to G5s and leave the 12" at G4 status, or there is no real differentiation between an iBook and PowerBook and drop the 12" model altogether.

If there is a high-end Powerbook G5, the market for a 17" Powerbook G4 evaporates because (I think) the great majority of 17" buyers would go for the higher performance Powerbook G5 at 15" or 17". The 12" Powerbook G4, aka Aluminum iBook, would still have a market because of its mobility and slightly better features than the iBook G4, like better CPU, GPU, monitor spanning, DVI, et al.

So my fantasy lineup would be:

$0999 12" iBook G4

$1299 14" iBook G4

$1499 12" Powerbook G4

$1799 15" Powerbook G4

$2199 15" Powerbook G5

$2699 17" Powerbook G5
  • Reply 6 of 15
    stevegtastevegta Posts: 75member
    why would they not put the G5 in a 12"?

also if they didnt put one in a 12" i would highly hope that they would make everything else a lot better in the 12" such as the graphics and maybe put dual G4's?

i guess i am biased on my predictions because i am wanting a G5 12" PowerBook but i cant see why they would not just upgrade the whole line.

i think the G5 is closer than we think it is though.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    Btw, while browsing the Apple store, I see:

14" iBook G4

$1499

1.33GHz PowerPC G4

512K L2 cache @ 1.33GHz

14-inch TFT Display, 1024x768 resolution

256MB DDR266 SDRAM

60GB Ultra ATA drive

SuperDrive

ATI Mobility Radeon 9200 32MB DDR video memory

AirPort Extreme built-in

12" Powerbok G4

$1499

12.1-inch TFT Display, 1024x768 resolution

1.5GHz PowerPC G4

512MB DDR333 SDRAM

60GB Hard Drive

NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5200 (64MB DDR)

Full size keyboard

10/100BASE-T Ethernet

FireWire 400

Analog audio in/out

Mini-DVI out

Who in their right mind would choose the iBook 14" w/Superdrive over the Powerbook G4 12" w/combo drive? The value proposition of that iBook 14" at $1499 seems rediculous.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    Quote:

Originally posted by THT

... Who in their right mind would choose the iBook 14" w/Superdrive over the Powerbook G4 12" w/combo drive? The value proposition of that iBook 14" at $1499 seems rediculous.

Someone whose eyesight isn't very good? But there's probably an iBook update to 1.5GHz waiting in the wings (1.33 on 12"), once the inventory clears (and possibly a price drop). Most iBooks are sold with combo drives.

Your dream line-up looks good, even tho there are a lot of models. I'd expect the 15" and 17" to go to HD displays when Tiger's out; they possibly had it ready and cancelled it because Panther didn't have scaling. Doubtful it'd be optional. Perhaps you could add screen res to your table.

Do you really think they'd have both a G4 and G5 at the 15" level? I dunno.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    commoduscommodus Posts: 270member
    I'll post a list of predicted specs and then comment on them:

12-inch (or will it be 13.3-inch widescreen?)

1.8 GHz G5 with 1 MB L2 cache

600 MHz bus

512 MB DDR2 RAM

60 GB SATA hard drive

64 MB GeForce Go 6200 video

1024x768 (if 12") or 1280x800 (if 13.3") display

$1599 (combo drive) or $1699 (superdrive)

15-inch

1.8 or 2 GHz G5 with 1 MB L2

600 or 667 MHz bus

512 MB DDR2 RAM

80 or 100 GB SATA hard drive

128 MB Mobility Radeon X700 video

1440x900 display

$1999 (1.8 GHz combo) or $2499 (2 GHz superdrive)

17-inch

2 GHz G5 with 1 MB L2

667 MHz bus

512 MB DDR2 RAM

100 GB SATA hard drive

256 MB Mobility Radeon X700 (dual-link DVI)

1440x900 display with BTO 1920x1200 option

$2699

This would be released either in June, at WWDC, or else at Apple Expo in September. I'm very willing to admit that my specs could be significantly wrong.

My guess is that IBM will, in fact, have a low-power G5 ready sometime in the summer or fall. More importantly, they'll have a much more energy-efficient system controller, whether it's discrete or integrated into the CPU die itself. This, combined with reducing the bus speed to 1/3rd as in the iMac G5, should give Apple a G5 that isn't significantly hotter or more power-hungry than the current G4s. And if it is, they may use some more advanced cooling or extended battery capacity to make the experience at least similar. I think they'll go with extended battery capacity anyways, just to give the PowerBooks a more Centrino-like battery life.

The reason for the increased display resolution is a combination of that interesting 17" PowerBook manual "typo" with Jobs' own observation that this is the "year of HD." Right now, no PowerBook has the resolution to even display HD video at its highest quality (1080i or 1080p), and HD video leaves less room for on-screen tools when editing (even when scaled down). 1440x900 gives at least workable room on the 15" PowerBook, and 17" buyers could opt for the 1920x1200 display to get the ultimate portable HD editing station. I'd also like the 12" model to become a 13.3" widescreen so that it could at least display 720p video.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Commodus

This would be released either in June, at WWDC, or else at Apple Expo in September. I'm very willing to admit that my specs could be significantly wrong.

My guess is that IBM will, in fact, have a low-power G5 ready sometime in the summer or fall. More importantly, they'll have a much more energy-efficient system controller, whether it's discrete or integrated into the CPU die itself. This, combined with reducing the bus speed to 1/3rd as in the iMac G5, should give Apple a G5 that isn't significantly hotter or more power-hungry than the current G4s. And if it is, they may use some more advanced cooling or extended battery capacity to make the experience at least similar. I think they'll go with extended battery capacity anyways, just to give the PowerBooks a more Centrino-like battery life.

The reason for the increased display resolution is a combination of that interesting 17" PowerBook manual "typo" with Jobs' own observation that this is the "year of HD." Right now, no PowerBook has the resolution to even display HD video at its highest quality (1080i or 1080p), and HD video leaves less room for on-screen tools when editing (even when scaled down). 1440x900 gives at least workable room on the 15" PowerBook, and 17" buyers could opt for the 1920x1200 display to get the ultimate portable HD editing station. I'd also like the 12" model to become a 13.3" widescreen so that it could at least display 720p video. [/B]

I think your predictions are pretty good on target.

Apple is holding something big to announce at WWDC or possibly later in Paris.

Your line up also is good.

My comments will focus more on the top of the line Powerbook. The 17". Is very reasonable to expect a HD resolution monitor. This is the "Year of HD" after all.

I would also add and I know a lot of people will say I am totally out of my mind and unreasonable: I think Apple could release a 19" or 20" Powerbook with HD resolution monitor too.

This is why:

This Powerbook will be extremely hi-end with capabilities to please all video editors and motion graphics designers.

This Powerbook will not be intended for you to take on a airplane and do work on the seat tray at your economy class.

This Powerbook will be a portable desktop solution. Steve Jobs mentioned many times in the past that many people are migrating through the years to notebooks because they like the portability and don't need all the power desktop machines offer.

This Powerbook will not be cheap, will please intended to the hi-end crowd that needs to take their work on the road.

IMHO, I can see this happen. The advantages of such machine are clear. The size of this Powerbook will allow more room to add more components and space to cool those hot G5 chips. so why not. If people think will be too big, then go buy the smaller sizes. This 20" Powerbook will be like a Powermac for the road and some people will go for it.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    commoduscommodus Posts: 270member
    gugy:

The problem is that Apple already has a machine like the one you describe. It's called the 20" iMac.

Technically, in a number of ways it's faster than the fastest PowerBook G4 (floating-point math performance, for example). It's relatively portable for an all-in-one desktop; not something you'd ever put on your lap or travel with regularly, but it's something you can put in a case (there's a travel case for it!) and unpack for an extended stay. About the only thing that hurts its usefulness for pro work is the lack of higher-end expansion, like optical audio in or Firewire 800.

My guess is that 17" is as far as it goes. After all, if they do provide a 1920x1200 display option, you effectively have the same screen area as a 23" Cinema HD display. Want much more and you'll need an external display anyways.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Commodus

gugy:

The problem is that Apple already has a machine like the one you describe. It's called the 20" iMac.

Technically, in a number of ways it's faster than the fastest PowerBook G4 (floating-point math performance, for example). It's relatively portable for an all-in-one desktop; not something you'd ever put on your lap or travel with regularly, but it's something you can put in a case (there's a travel case for it!) and unpack for an extended stay. About the only thing that hurts its usefulness for pro work is the lack of higher-end expansion, like optical audio in or Firewire 800.

My guess is that 17" is as far as it goes. After all, if they do provide a 1920x1200 display option, you effectively have the same screen area as a 23" Cinema HD display. Want much more and you'll need an external display anyways.

Well, That's why I think the 20" powerbook is viable. The Imac is great but not very portable. Plus, doesn't have a battery.

Also, a 20" screen with HD resolution will be a dream come true to designers and video editors on the field.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    How about the 12-inch screen PowerBook going wide-screen? That'd be sweet.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by monkeyastronaut

How about the 12-inch screen PowerBook going wide-screen? That'd be sweet.

Sweet that it would kill the value of my Powerbook. \
  • Reply 15 of 15
    Half prediction, half hope specs:

12" Micro

2 GHz G5, 1 MB L2 cache

666 MHz bus

512 MB DDR2 RAM

80 GB SATA 5400 rpm hard drive

128 MB GeForce Go 6200 video

1280x854 display (Maybe, depending on OS X viewability, Apple may need a resolution independent Quartz before using such high resolution.

$1499 combo drive- $1649 superdrive

15" Widescreen

2 GHz G5, 1 MB L2

667 MHz bus

512 MB DDR2 RAM

100 GB SATA 5400 rpm hard drive

Combo drive w/ Superdrive BTO

128 MB Mobility Radeon X700 video (dual-link DVI)

1440x900 display

$1999 combo drive- $2149 Superdrive

18" High Definition

2 GHz G5 with 1 MB L2

667 MHz bus

512 MB DDR2 RAM

120 GB SATA 5400 rpm hard drive

Superdrive

256 MB Mobility Radeon X700 (dual-link DVI)

1920x1200 HD display

$2799

All of the lower-clocking laptop G5s go into the iBooks. It's time to put the power back in the Powerbooks, so no punk-ass CPUs!

More realistically, the Powerbooks get a modest boost in G4 clock frequencies, along with a few nudges in other specs, sometime in late 2005.