Newbie - can't find installed application

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi everyone,

I finally received my entry level Mac Mini two hours ago, my first ever Mac!

I downloaded Firefox, double-clicked on the dmg file, double-clicked on the Firefox icon. Firefox ran. I then moved the dmg file to the Trash and also ejected the Firefox "disc" that was mounted.

Now I can no longer find Firefox! Where is it? It is not in my Applications folder.

Did I do something stupid? Do I have to download it all over again and start from scratch?

Sorry to be so dumb (am a Linux/Windows/BeOS convert)

Thanks and cheers

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tilt

Sorry to be so dumb (am a Linux/Windows/BeOS convert)

Anyone who changes to Mac can't be all that dumb

An app on a .dmg isn't necessarily an installer. If it just ran upon double-clicking it, that means that you were running the program off the disk image. You'll have to get it out of the trash if you haven't emptied the trash yet or download the dmg again.

Then you have to go through the complicated installation process of dragging the App from the disk image to your applications folder.

Good luck!!

--B
  • Reply 2 of 5
    tilttilt Posts: 396member
    OK Bergz, that worked, thanks A follow-up qyuestion if you don't mind: When I dragged Firefox from the "disc" to the Applications folder, it "installed", but the icon shown was not the Firefox icon, iot was the stylised "A" that is the icon for the Applications menu itself! Any iodea how that could have happened?

Thanks again. I am really beginning to enjoy the Mini. I just turned on my other machine (my old PC so callously discarded since this afternoon *grin*) and only then suddenly realised that the Mini is quet and the PC just screams on with its fan. Odd how I endured it for so many years without even noticing actually!

Cheers
  • Reply 3 of 5
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    I don't know why that happens sometimes, although I'm sure that someone else here does. But one thing I can say is that if you select Firefox and Get Info (in File or Command + i) then you can drag any image that you like onto the preestablished icon. Perhaps copying the image from the Get Info of the Firefox on the dmg and pasting it onto the other one will work.

Tool around these forums long enough, looking into threads you think have nothing to do with you and you will discover a lot of things you didn't even think you'd ever need but actually make your life a whole lot cooler.

Enjoy it.

--B
  • Reply 4 of 5
    tilttilt Posts: 396member
    Thanks Bergz, I shall wander around seeking more knowledge

OK, off to post another topic now on another issue. Cheers
  • Reply 5 of 5
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tilt

Thanks Bergz, I shall wander around seeking more knowledge

OK, off to post another topic now on another issue. Cheers

the icon will eventually come back, well usually!