Newbie - Unable to see Windows machine from Mac

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi all

Just starting out on a Mac since this afternoon. My wife's Windows PC is connted to same Netgear router that my Mini is connected to. I just cannot see the Windows PC from the Mac.

By the way, I had exactly the same problem even from my Linux machine. It is just that I am not familiar with Windows networking at all.

The Windows PC has a Computer description, has a Full Computer Name, is part of as workgroup called (surprise) "WORKGROUP", the C Drive is shared on the netwok with a Shared Name.

I don't know what more to do or what else to do. Can someone who is familiar with Windows lead me through this please? I only need to do this once in order to transfer my files and my wife's from the Windows PC to the Mac-PC. After that I do not need it any more and do not care if the two machines do not see each other ever again.

Thanks and cheers

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    tilttilt Posts: 396member
    Hi all,

Scratch that question please. The damned gthing just showed up all of a sudden. I guess the Mac just took its own sweet time to display the Windows share!

Well, in Linux I tried to jump through hoops to make this work and failed, with the Mac the damned thing just worked!!! This is unbelievable! Is there a mountain nearby where I can go and preach to the huddled masses to buy a Mac, at least for home use to begin with?

Cheers
  • Reply 2 of 16
    *sigh*, I spoke too soon! I can see the shared folder, yes, but I can't see any of the files inside the folder.

Any ideas, anybody?

Thanks and cheers
  • Reply 3 of 16
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    I honestly have no idea how PC networking works, and I administer a mainly-PC network.

It is a mysterious world of fickle settings and angry hardware. It is scary and I don't like it. I just set up secure FTP servers all over the place and do everything that way.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    Well, for a guy whose entire 22 year career has been in IT, I find it easiest to do things the low-tech way. I just backed up all my files and my wife's files onto a CD-RW and transferred tham onto the Mac via sneaker-net.

Cheers
  • Reply 5 of 16
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Windows sharing is a pain! However, doable. Right in Windows you need to make sure sharing is on. Go to my network places and set up a home or office network. Go throuhg this wizard and that should assign you a Workhroup name etc. Then make the folder you want to share shreable by bringing up propeties (alt-enter). Click the sharing tab, voila.

In Mac OS X go into the sharing tab in system preferences and follow the instructions. Then in the sidebar in Finder there should be a network button (if not go to finder preferences and out it there). Clcik the network button, you'll be able to see your workgroup and PC. You'll have to sign in to mount the shared volume. Finished - hopefully

(The problem is windows is not secure, any user name and password will open any shared volume! )
  • Reply 6 of 16
    skatmanskatman Posts: 609member
    Quote:

The problem is windows is not secure, any user name and password will open any shared volume!

That's not the problem. The problem is that you don't know what you're doing! Maybe you should learn from the distiguished 22 year IT veteran and go back to CDRWs.

On Windows XP Pro:

Assuming you're working with Windows XP/2000, disable "Simple File Sharing". Set access permissions on the shared folder: remove "Everyone" and put in whichever user you would like. Done.

On Windows XP Home:

Turn on Simple File Sharing. If you want privacy for each account, fix file permissions.

My suggestion is to stay away from XP Home since it's crippleware.

Then on the OSX finder find GO -> Server and then you should be able to see the workgroup and computer.

Alternatively you can just type in the command line in the Server menu smb://windowspcname/filesharename

Input the username and password from the authorized user machine and you're done!
  • Reply 7 of 16
    Skatman, MacCrazy, thanks for both your inputs. The problem is not that I cannot see the PC or the shared folders - I can! The problem is that the shared folders show up empty in the Mac. I cannot see any files inside the shared folders.

I had exactly the same problem when I tried to Samba my way to the Windows machine from Linux. I could see the folders but nothing inside them.

This obviously means I am doing something wrong on the Windows side and I can't seem to find out what. That is why I resorted to sneaker-net. Also it was a one time exercise, so there was no point in breaking my head trying to find a solution.

Cheers
  • Reply 8 of 16
    did you manually make each folder you want to go into shared?

On my mac/windows network I need to make share every folder I want to be able to go into. Also every subfolder as well. so annoying... I don't like windows...
  • Reply 9 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ichiban_jay

did you manually make each folder you want to go into shared?

On my mac/windows network I need to make share every folder I want to be able to go into. Also every subfolder as well. so annoying... I don't like windows...

I don't have to do sub-folders.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Are you using Windows XP or someting else? I was able to get it to work between a mac and XP, but not between a mac and windows ME.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    I have Win XP Proessional. I am trying to share the My Documents folder. There are no other folders inside that folder, only files. My Documents is flagged sharable. I can see the My Documents folder from the Mac, but when I click on it, there is nothing inside.

Cheers
  • Reply 12 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by tilt

I have Win XP Proessional. I am trying to share the My Documents folder. There are no other folders inside that folder, only files. My Documents is flagged sharable. I can see the My Documents folder from the Mac, but when I click on it, there is nothing inside.

Cheers

try connecting to the Mac from the PC and copy the files. Go to my network places and add new location etc.!
  • Reply 13 of 16
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    You can't access your My Documents folder as a guest.

Enter the username and password of the owner of the My Documents folder and it should be fine.

If you don't know the owner of the my documents folder then right mouse click on it/properties/security and you shoudl see the owner.

Dobby.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    MacCrazy, that does not work either, I already tried it

Dobby, when I double-click on the My Documents folder, I am asked for an ID and password and I give my Windows ID and password. I am not logged in as Guest

Cheers
  • Reply 15 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by tilt

MacCrazy, that does not work either, I already tried it

Dobby, when I double-click on the My Documents folder, I am asked for an ID and password and I give my Windows ID and password. I am not logged in as Guest

Cheers

I'm sorry I don't know what to suggest!
  • Reply 16 of 16
    MacCrazy and all others here who have helped me,

It does not matter. The purpose behind whhich this question arose has been achieved, albeit in a low-tech way. As I mentioned, this was only needed as a one time exercise to move files from Windows to the Mac. Now I no longer have a need to see one machine from the other.

The only reason I was continuing this was out of academic interest. It bugs me no end that I am completely unable to achieve what every Mac owner to date has accomplished with their eyes closed. That's all

Thanks again for all your help.

Cheers