all this networking stuff...

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Can someone give me a quick rundown on all these different networking systems. Rondezvous - i understand that it makes a lot of things possible, but is there ONE place that i turn it on? or does it just work in the background? Appletalk -- i had to turn this on to make my desktop "see" my printer once i plugged it into my airport base station (the base is plugged into the computer, i.e. the computer is not on the airport network, just plugged in to the station)

I guess what i am asking is why would i have apple talk on specifically? When i have file sharing on, is it going through the airport network, or through rondezvous or appletalk? I guess i just need a little clarification as to the purpose of each one and how they interact with each other.

Thanks for helping the rookie!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Appletalk was an easy to use networking protocol that made discovery of devices easy.

Rendezvous is the same ideology but more full featured and made to work on todays IP based networks.

Basically you have the Studebaker Appletalk evolving into the Corvette Rendezvous.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by 206amphib

Appletalk -- i had to turn this on to make my desktop "see" my printer once i plugged it into my airport base station (the base is plugged into the computer, i.e. the computer is not on the airport network, just plugged in to the station)

This should not be required.

When adding a printer, you should be able to switch to Rendevous and the printer attached to your Airport should show up immediately.

In fact, I'm somewhat surprised that AppleTalk worked at all. I had no idea that the Airport could serve printers via AppleTalk!

Well, I guess you learn something new every day.

Oh, question: HOW is the printer connected to the Airport? USB or Ethernet?
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by Tom Mornini

This should not be required.

When adding a printer, you should be able to switch to Rendevous and the printer attached to your Airport should show up immediately.

In fact, I'm somewhat surprised that AppleTalk worked at all. I had no idea that the Airport could serve printers via AppleTalk!

Well, I guess you learn something new every day.

Oh, question: HOW is the printer connected to the Airport? USB or Ethernet?

The airport is connected to the printer via usb. The cable modem is connected to the base station and the base station is connected to the computer via ethernet.

Ok, so if i should just be able to switch to rondezvous, where exactly would i do that? I keep seeing these references to turning on rondezvous, but no one can tell me where to do that.

So why do they even have appletalk still in the system?

Could the appletalk be required due to the fact that the computer is not on the airport network? It is "networked" through the airport base station.

thx
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by 206amphib

The airport is connected to the printer via usb. The cable modem is connected to the base station and the base station is connected to the computer via ethernet.

OK, that's a typical setup.

Quote:

Ok, so if i should just be able to switch to rondezvous, where exactly would i do that? I keep seeing these references to turning on rondezvous, but no one can tell me where to do that.

You don't need to switch on Rendezvous, it's always on, unless you go to the trouble of switching it off via "Directory Access.app" in the /Applications/Utilities/ directory.

When you run "Printer Setup Utility.app" in that same directory (or via the "Printers & Fax" System Preferences pane, then click the Add button, a sheet will pop out that has a pull down menu at the top. The options are several ways of identifying printers (and in some respects actually accessing them as well, though several of those ID methods operate via TCP/IP).

Rendezvous (check your spelling!) is one of those identification methods that operate via TCP/IP.

Selecting it will show you printers identified via Rendezvous, but does not constitute "switching it on," if that makes sense.
    Quote:

So why do they even have appletalk still in the system?

For backward compatibility, particularly with old networked printers, old file servers and computers running old Macintosh OSes (pre X).
    Quote:

Could the appletalk be required due to the fact that the computer is not on the airport network? It is "networked" through the airport base station.

No. Again, I'm somewhat surprised (not in a bad way) that Airports even support sharing their USB printers via AppleTalk. Very thorough of Apple to include that.