iPod photo has awful navigation speed?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I just used an iPod photo (40GB) for the first time a few minutes ago, and I'm really disappointed. The navigation was ridiculously slow for music, photos, calendars, and everything else I didn't mention. I understand that the hard drive needs a little time to load things, but simple things like playing songs or going through playlists was really slow. The iPod photo only had 2GB of used memory, so it's not like the hard drive was really bogged down with info or something. Is this common in photo's or did I manage to find a really bad one?

On a side note, the 4G ipod click wheel is uncomfortable compared to my 3G buttons. Pressing the next track button with one hand on the iPod is a joke. Or maybe I lack opposable thumbs.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    grahamwgrahamw Posts: 575member
    Don't wanna contradict you, but I've got a 40gb photo. I find it to be responsive even when browsing the over 5000 pictures I've got on her (2000 of them uploaded yesterday )

I find the touch wheel to be much more useful - I was forever triggering the buttons on my 3G - having to lock/unlock the unit all of the time really didn't work for me.

So... uh... I guess I did contradict you. Ah well.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by grahamw

Don't wanna contradict you, but I've got a 40gb photo. I find it to be responsive even when browsing the over 5000 pictures I've got on her (2000 of them uploaded yesterday )

I find the touch wheel to be much more useful - I was forever triggering the buttons on my 3G - having to lock/unlock the unit all of the time really didn't work for me.

So... uh... I guess I did contradict you. Ah well.

no i'm glad you did. it must have just been a really messed up iPod.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    c2poonc2poon Posts: 38member
    I have a 30GB ipod Photo and it's pretty darn quick. Scrolling through my music collection and library of pics is a snap. Not sure why the one you tried out was so slow though. I hope it doesn't slow down at all when I reach it's memory capacity. I love the "album art" feature. Having pics of hot chix works! hehe.... Cheers
  • Reply 4 of 4
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    I was talking to a friend at work today about his iPod Photo (60Gig) problems.

See, I'm planning on getting a new camera soon (Sony DSC-W7), selling my 40Gig iPod and getting an iPod Photo in anticipation of the iPod camera connector.

He's probably in the minority, but when he first got the iPod Photo, he loaded it up with music, artwork and photos.

When it's maxed out it ceases to function! Originally, he returned it thinking it was a bad unit. When the replacement arrived - same thing.

It stops displaying photos, slideshow will not work and whenever he tries to sync iTunes, it cuts off the last 10-15 seconds of each song.

He can manually sync each song and it will work, but none of the photo functions or artwork are accessible.

He's on his third 60Gig iPod Photo and Apple has told him that they are aware of the problem and that it will not work properly at full capacity and never will.

I asked him specifically about that last point and he explained that Apple says that it's because the 60Gig has three platters within the HD and that is causing the issues.

He has found that it works OK with 45Gigs of music/artwork/photos.

I hope this behavior is limited to the 60Gig since I'm going to try to sell my 40 and get a 30Gig iPod Photo.