Sound Check

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
All right, I have a question for you people.

I have a lot of music in my iTunes Library and the quality varies between a lot of them, in addition to the volume level.

I generally use Nero to make audio CDs because iTunes can't do CD-TEXT and it has a sound check-like feature (can't remember the name of it) that works really well for audio CDs.

But I am interested in doing this to my entire iTunes library. But here's my concern: will it actually mess with the quality of the audio?

I don't want my -aps .mp3s forced down to the quality of the crappy bootleg quality of some of my other stuff.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    g_warreng_warren Posts: 713member
    It doen't affect the quality at all - it just changes the volume of all of your tracks to try to create a happy medium, so if you have some quiete tracks, and some loud tracks, they will all come out somewhere in between in theory. The track itself is unaltered, as you can just turn the option off and readjust the volume sliders.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    So if I were to move the files themselves to a different computer they would go back to what they were before the Sound Check?
  • Reply 3 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

So if I were to move the files themselves to a different computer they would go back to what they were before the Sound Check?

yes
  • Reply 4 of 13
    I'm going to do it, but if you're wrong I'm going to come to your house and replace all your mp3s with German pop music.

BE WARNED!
  • Reply 5 of 13
    Analyzing 460 of 7679... gah this is sloooooow.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    If you burn a music CD with the "burn using soundcheck" option, the CD audio will be different than that of the original. Granted, it will automatically be different since you compressed it when you ripped it, but if you used a lossless format for the source material, the burn would then produce something different than the original.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    wyntirwyntir Posts: 88member
    Only 7679? Your powers are weakening, old man...
  • Reply 8 of 13
    I don't know why it only said that, I think I had turned it on once and then cancelled it. I'm up to ~12,000 right now.

THIEVERY!
  • Reply 9 of 13
    wyntirwyntir Posts: 88member
    Tonton, long time no see! Actually, been back from Japan for a while now (let's seee... 3.5 years?), I was just there for a school year on exchange. Currently back in the states, going to college here in the godforsaken midwest. You still rocking the Hong Kong, breaking hearts and making bank andcetra?

Rattie: Yeah, I thought you had more than that. Anyway it was exciting to think, if only for a blissful moment, that I was just a good Soulseek session away from catching you. Damn your piratical skills!
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Here's a question...

When I sync my music library to my iPod, will iTunes' sound check settings transfer over or will I have to manually turn this option on in the iPod's settings?
  • Reply 11 of 13
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    sound check doesnt do anything to the actual files, it's jsut how itunes handles them. you dont need to back up your files or anything. its no different than changing the rating of a song.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    though every once in a while it somehow corrupts some of my songs...

I'll be listening to one of my songs that has been sound checked then at some part it'll go all buzzy and ear piercing. Only 1-2 every thousand songs though, I just have to re-import the song.