new 40"/44" cinema display coming?

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 84
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Interesting. We often mention the need for UI changes in order to facilitate UI independence. We often fail to mention the need for UI changes to facilitate a generation of relatively huge new displays.

It's been relatively safe to assume a 72-100dpi desktop 'till now. But I think at least part of that assumptio was also a 15-20" screen size. 30"+ tests that, doubled up, even more so.

Your mouse pointer/interface, and the space between UI elements needs to be re-thought, in light of the vast increase in desktop size and associated eye travel...
  • Reply 82 of 84
    garypgaryp Posts: 150member
    Quote:

Originally posted by the cool gut

I'm not aware of any applications that you can open all menu windows and even come close to filling up a 30 incher. I mean, Jesus, how in the fuck do you mouse around two 30" monitors?

Art stuff, for example, working on a 2 by 5 foot image in Photoshop using "Actual Pixels,"with the ability to see the whole thing at once. As for how, I don't know, but I'd love to try.

Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

Interesting. We often mention the need for UI changes in order to facilitate UI independence. We often fail to mention the need for UI changes to facilitate a generation of relatively huge new displays.

It's been relatively safe to assume a 72-100dpi desktop 'till now. But I think at least part of that assumptio was also a 15-20" screen size. 30"+ tests that, doubled up, even more so.

Your mouse pointer/interface, and the space between UI elements needs to be re-thought, in light of the vast increase in desktop size and associated eye travel...

The discussion of a Resolution Independent OS is gaining more relevance quickly now. Let me choose the size of the menu bar, icons, etc, no matter how many pixels are onscreen. What about a pointer that just follows my eye movements for rough placement, but yields final precision to a device in my hand.
  • Reply 83 of 84
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    I believe that some commercial forms of eye tracking already exist...
  • Reply 84 of 84
    garypgaryp Posts: 150member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

I believe that some commercial forms of eye tracking already exist...

Now, all I need is that 84" screen and a bank job.