TS: Tiger for sure in early April

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
well TS seems confident they know what's up. this would be really nice so I could grab my legal $50 copy from school before summer.

http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0503tiger.html

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    Oh sweet! My school doesn't have a computer store on campus... Is there any way the student one can be ordered from apple.com or anything?
  • Reply 2 of 33
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    My mini ships the 21st of March, I certinly hope that I have an upgrade option for like $5-$10, I would like it free but would pay print and ship costs.

I hope it is true, but a $60 upgrade (edu) would suck two or three after the thing ships.
  • Reply 3 of 33
    danosaurdanosaur Posts: 258member
    Yeah you can order with the education discount off Apple's site. Just follow the links. You need a student number.
  • Reply 4 of 33
    jaddiejaddie Posts: 110member
    Dear Friends

It seems suspicious to me that the new OS is supposed to be announced on April Fools Day.

Sincerely,

Jaddie
  • Reply 5 of 33
    jasenj1jasenj1 Posts: 923member
    I hope so. This makes sense if Apple plans to unveil new versions of the Pro apps at NAB that use Core Image. Much better to have the OS released.

- Jasen.
  • Reply 6 of 33
    squozensquozen Posts: 66member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jaddie

Dear Friends

It seems suspicious to me that the new OS is supposed to be announced on April Fools Day.

Sincerely,

Jaddie

Makes sense to me - Apple was FOUNDED on April Fools day.
  • Reply 7 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by Squozen

Makes sense to me - Apple was FOUNDED on April Fools day.

And hey, I was born on april fools day so it works for me...

But forget any past importants of April first, because the comedian, emploee 1, Woz is long gone.
  • Reply 8 of 33
    zenatekzenatek Posts: 203member
    Ok here is a possability....

Apple just beat Think Secret in a Court battle and Think Secret is totally p'd off about it. So they launch this story that without a doubt will drop the amount of apple computer sales like a stone being dropped in water just to get back at Apple.

Just a thought.
  • Reply 9 of 33
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I love it. Didn't we just have a story last week about how OS X is running late. Steve was not gonna let it happen and was determined to release on time... as in this quarter. WWDC was the target time.

Which is the fake story?
  • Reply 10 of 33
    zenatekzenatek Posts: 203member
    Exactly!
  • Reply 11 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by zenatek

Ok here is a possability....

Apple just beat Think Secret in a Court battle and Think Secret is totally p'd off about it. So they launch this story that without a doubt will drop the amount of apple computer sales like a stone being dropped in water just to get back at Apple.

Just a thought.

True, if apple sues again we will get our answer, if they sue for names, then it is true, if they sue for slander/defamation, it is bogus.
  • Reply 12 of 33
    silversilver Posts: 34member
    It's not gonna happen !

Tiger 's not even beta yet. How could it be finished in three weeks ? Get real.
  • Reply 13 of 33
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    While I think the April release date is a bit far fetched, the NAB rationale makes perfect sense. I'm sure there's a suite of new Pro Video tools coming out and I'm sure they require QT 7. However, that doesn't make them require Tiger.

We've heard reports of QT 7 for Panther. Also, private frameworks could be released in advance just for using the Pro Apps on Panther. Sure, its a lot of work to do this rather than just get Tiger out the door, but forcing these two pieces to be released together is a mistake. What if Tiger was delayed 3 months... you think Steve would hold back the Pro Apps for that long?

I'd love it if Tiger has released soon, but I'm not gonna hold my breath.

Oh, and I'm definitely looking forward to the "is it the GM build or not" debate, including the obligatory references to "debug code".
  • Reply 14 of 33
    xanaduxanadu Posts: 9member
    No, it certainly does not imply they require Tiger. However, the release of QuickTime 7 implies Tiger, this has been stated by Jobs at WWDC '04 and MacWorld: San Francisco.

Also, a very famous comment by Jobs is "real artists ship." It is more important to ship a product than to assure that everything is 100% bug-free as possible.
  • Reply 15 of 33
    Considering that Apple is currently in legal ramblings with three rumor sites, this site included, but mainly the issue seems to be with the site "Think Secret"...

Maybe Apple is leaking this info on purpose to teach "Think Secret" a lesson??

I for one am suspicious, also catching on with the other few people, that the supposed release date is April 1st, also April Fool's Day. (Making the site "Think Secret" the ultimate fool).

But it would be kind of dumb, since I myself just bought a PowerBook 15" but thankfully, have not opened it yet (I've been mulling over my purchase), because I just read on this site about trackpad issues, and also if I wanted Tiger, would have to spend an extra $69 for academic version of the software.

(I think Apple's Mac OS X Up-to-date program should extend to within two weeks of buying a new laptop. Or even a month. That would seem more fair. Isn't that what those coupons they give you are for? Proof that you have the previous software??).

P.S. Although, I will have to say that I'm glad that there are sites like "Think Secret" (because their iPod mini update story caused me to return the purchase I made, and was able to get the 6GB model for the price I paid for the 4GB one... I had bought the old 4GB model a week before the rumor of the iPod mini update's scheduled release and I took it back right before my 14-day return expired... in fact, just in time on the last day!) and I believe that they do fall under journalism-related guidelines. The people Apple should be suing are their own employees who are leaking the information!!
  • Reply 16 of 33
    boemaneboemane Posts: 311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Pismo900

The people Apple should be suing are their own employees who are leaking the information!!

I think thats why apple is suing, they want TS to reveal their sources...

.:BoeManE:.
  • Reply 17 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by Pismo900

Maybe Apple is leaking this info on purpose to teach "Think Secret" a lesson??

That seems plausable, untill you consider a few things: SEC (security and exchange commission) would come down on apple for screwing with the market

FTC would not like the consumer trickery, and Apple would be shooting themselves in the foot for sales in the last three weeks of Q1 (calendar) 2005.

not to mention it takes the element of surprise away from the marketing dept.
  • Reply 18 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

That seems plausable, untill you consider a few things: SEC (security and exchange commission) would come down on apple for screwing with the market

FTC would not like the consumer trickery, and Apple would be shooting themselves in the foot for sales in the last three weeks of Q1 (calendar) 2005.

not to mention it takes the element of surprise away from the marketing dept.

Well, if you think about it, APPLE never made the announcement themselves. They never said they were going to release a product on April 1st. Now, they may have, like I presented, leaked the info out to teach "Think Secret" a lesson, but never publicly said it, and wouldn't that make it okay? And if you look at it, "Think Secret" would be the cause of the mess in the market as you propose since they were the source of the info being presented to the public.

But what do I know? It's all very interesting. Messing with us too! Do we buy now or wait. Is there an OS coming out or not. Etc., etc.
  • Reply 19 of 33
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    People have claimed a disinformation campaign from Apple for years now. In all that time, there has been exactly zero (0) evidence of anything like this. None. Zilch. Goose egg. The product of any number and zero. Nada. If it were true that this stuff is used to smoke out the people leaking this stuff, would Apple be trying to force PowerPage, TS, and AI to give up their sources? No, they would already know who is was.

Ockham's razor tells me that if I have to assume either that someone making this stuff up or that Apple has this conspiracy running on all cylinders, I'm going with the former.

For the record, I don't think Think Secret has the scoop here. The latest developer builds have been royal cluster%$#@, and Apple isn't going to go to market without developers having a fair shot of having their stuff ready, not to mention their own apps. Announcement on April 1? Maybe. Release it a month from now? Doubtful. I'd be happy to be wrong of course, but I don't think I am.
  • Reply 20 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by Danosaur

Yeah you can order with the education discount off Apple's site. Just follow the links. You need a student number.

No you don't