Updated eMacs, iMacs expected in April

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Apple plans to introduce updated iMac G5 and eMac systems alongside the release of Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger next month, according to a report published by Think Secret.

In addition to its report on iMacs and eMacs, the online publication also published a report claiming that Apple will officially roll-out Mac OS X Tiger in a matter of weeks.

"The iMac G5, code-named Q45 C/D, is expected to receive a speed bump to 2GHz," the report claims. "An 8x DVD±RW SuperDrive can also be expected on the Better and Best models." This report is inline with previous mumblings pertaining to a 2GHz iMac G5.

In the same report, ThinkSecret also lends credence to rumors that Apple has held an eMac update in limbo, and is now ready to send it to manufacturing.

"The biggest news with the eMac may simply be that the model's existence," wrote Senior Editor Ryan Katz. "The updated eMac, code named Q87J, will feature a faster processor -- likely 1.33GHz and possibly 1.5GHz at the high-end -- and possibly a faster video card to take advantage of Tiger's new Core Image technology, sources said."

The report did not mention whether the updated eMac would sport a G4 or G5 processor, but all bets are on the former.

Meanwhile, ThinkSecret cited well-placed sources in saying Apple will officially announce Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger's release at an event in early April and will begin shipping the operating system within two or three weeks afterwards.

"The event, sources say, is currently scheduled for Friday, April 1 and will be delivered via satellite to numerous locations around the world."

Tiger, the report claims, should be available in retail stores by April 15.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 83
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    [I posted this in Current Hardware too]

Finally it may be as I feared. Think Secret says now that the iMac will get an update next month to 2 GHz, but other specifications will remain largely unchanged. So, I would not be surprised to see again the same 5200 Ultra, with an option for 128 MB VRAM this time.
  • Reply 2 of 83
    auroraaurora Posts: 1,142member
    I find this report all wrong, first LCD panels are dropping fast in price, 2nd the gpu in imac and powermac FX5200 is cheapo and sucks for lack of a better term and needs updating and 3rd why bother with Emac at all with MiniMac out and LCDs getting cheap. The only thing i give credence to is the 2.0 G5 and faster optical drive. If this report is true then we waited a year for apple to do almost nothing with both imac and emac. I expect better from the cadillac of computing not this.
  • Reply 3 of 83
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aurora

If this report is true then we waited a year for apple to do almost nothing with both imac and emac. I expect better from the cadillac of computing not this.

When Think Secret first talked about the new iMac G5 last year, they predicted that the GPU would remain unchanged (5200 Ultra). No one could believe this at the time. However it did happen. I am afrain it will happen again.
  • Reply 4 of 83
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    What's really funny is ThinkSecret is still giving away secrets.

I guess its pretty harmless.

So long as its no secrets that would give Apple's rivals any advantage.
  • Reply 5 of 83
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aurora

3rd why bother with Emac at all with MiniMac out and LCDs getting cheap. [/B]

The eMac was designed to be a machine for the Education market. If I remember correctly, it wasn't even available to other markets when it was originally released and was only opened to other markets when people outside of the Education market indicated they wanted to buy it.

IMO, the Mac mini would not be a good fit for the Education market.
  • Reply 6 of 83
    Well lets cross our fingers and hope Tiger is ready.

XP 64 bit is coming.
  • Reply 7 of 83
    Quote:

Originally posted by TenoBell

XP 64 bit is coming.

Not anytime soon. They have been focusing all of their efforts into Longhorn, than anything else.
  • Reply 8 of 83
    dazabritdazabrit Posts: 273member
    Quote:

XP 64 bit is coming.

Another reason for Apple to release in April, they need to beat Microsoft to it for marketing purposes!
  • Reply 9 of 83
    fahlmanfahlman Posts: 740member
    Apple wants to release 10.4 early enough this year so that when they release 10.5 just before Longhorn the reslease cycle won't be too short.
  • Reply 10 of 83
    From whats going through the grape vine. Longhorn is taking too long and MS is moving many of its functions to XP 64 which is to ship this summer.

10.5? Apple last announced they would slow down their update cycle after 10.4.
  • Reply 11 of 83
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AppleInsider

Tiger, the report claims, should be available in retail stores by April 15.
    [ View this article at AppleInsider.com ]

That rocks!!

If that IS true, I bet Stevey IS strokeing out!

Eric
  • Reply 12 of 83
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,458member
    Quote:

From whats going through the grape vine. Longhorn is taking too long and MS is moving many of its functions to XP 64 which is to ship this summer.

10.5? Apple last announced they would slow down their update cycle after 10.4.

Actually they said that about 10.3 -- that's why Tiger is (if the April rumor is true) 18 months after Panther, compared to 14 months between Jaguar and Panther and less between earlier releases. No doubt they'll talk about 10.5 plans at WWDC if Tiger arrives in April.
  • Reply 13 of 83
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    anyone know whether the new iMac will feature a fixed hard-disk bottleneck issue (xbench on the iMac g5 shows some pitiful bloody hard disk results, despite it being a SATA-7200rpm drive in there )

hmmm no video card upgrade is a bit sad

but remember, apple is focused on profits very much now and will continue to do so... while it can still have iMac g5s fly off the shelves without having to change the video card, unfortunately, it will do so...
  • Reply 14 of 83
    ibook911ibook911 Posts: 607member
    I am very happy I logged onto the Apple rumors sites this evening. Tiger on April 15! That would be fantastic! I can't wait. Tiger, Tiger, Tiger!

I'm happy to hear they may have an event to talk about it on April 1. That way they can setup the preorders on Apple.com, which will ensure we can receive it on or before the release date, which is what they did for iLife 05 and iWork.
  • Reply 15 of 83
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

anyone know whether the new iMac will feature a fixed hard-disk bottleneck issue (xbench on the iMac g5 shows some pitiful bloody hard disk results, despite it being a SATA-7200rpm drive in there )

hmmm no video card upgrade is a bit sad

but remember, apple is focused on profits very much now and will continue to do so... while it can still have iMac g5s fly off the shelves without having to change the video card, unfortunately, it will do so...

Think Secret didn't say there wouldn't be a Video card update, they just probably don't have any information on it. I would expect Apple to upgrade the card, it's getting severely outdated.

Hopefully, it'll be at least an nVIDIA GeForce 6200 w/ 128 MB VRam (NOT the turbo cache model)
  • Reply 16 of 83
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by macnut222

Think Secret didn't say there wouldn't be a Video card update, they just probably don't have any information on it. I would expect Apple to upgrade the card, it's getting severely outdated.

Hopefully, it'll be at least an nVIDIA GeForce 6200 w/ 128 MB VRam (NOT the turbo cache model)

sweet. i'm hoping too...
  • Reply 17 of 83
    denmarudenmaru Posts: 208member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ibook911

I am very happy I logged onto the Apple rumors sites this evening. Tiger on April 15! That would be fantastic! I can't wait. Tiger, Tiger, Tiger!

Full Ack here!

We need a Stevenote about this, as well as Live Quicktime Streaming (D´oh!)

People shouldn´t complain about the eMacs presence - the Mac mini´s and the eMac´s target audience might be overlapping a bit, but I was about to buy a used 700Mhz eMac for my mom (absolutely computer illiterate) - I´m glad I didn´t :3

Hmm.. new iMac... I really hope they change the graphics card.
  • Reply 18 of 83
    spylaw4spylaw4 Posts: 52member
    April 1st event?.........April fool anyone?
  • Reply 19 of 83
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by spylaw4

I was just thinking that! It seems a bit weird to me. I've always said April though so let's hope it's true!
  • Reply 20 of 83
    denmarudenmaru Posts: 208member
    Quote:

Originally posted by spylaw4

Hmm.. I imagine Steve pulling off a Stevenote in front of a huge crowd tellig them Tiger will start shipping "today", and going on and on about what a wonderful System it is. After 40 minutes, he will tell everyone that this was a joke.

You think Steve would survive the wrath of the crowd?