next airport express with video-out?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    Don't post here please. Have you ever done wireless video? I work in a lab where we play with this kind of stuff all day.

Something simple you can do at home, that works fine on MY powerbook. Rip DVD to computer #1. Use your powerbook to connect to it's drive share. Use VLC to play the video_ts folder on your ONLY wifi connected laptop. (Yes it's streaming from the computer upstairs, through apple's poorly done file sharing protocal. And that plays just fine. Hmm maybe I'll play back some compressed HD?....

;-)

Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

forst of all, wireless video over something like airport express would be AWFUL. and no, i dont want to surf the iVideo store and pay $1 to watch it. neither does 100% of the film industry.

• Reply 22 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by webmail

Don't post here please. Have you ever done wireless video? I work in a lab where we play with this kind of stuff all day.

Something simple you can do at home, that works fine on MY powerbook. Rip DVD to computer #1. Use your powerbook to connect to it's drive share. Use VLC to play the video_ts folder on your ONLY wifi connected laptop. (Yes it's streaming from the computer upstairs, through apple's poorly done file sharing protocal. And that plays just fine. Hmm maybe I'll play back some compressed HD?....

;-)

well your deal sounds fantastic but it completely ignores copyright protection. if apple released such a device, it would have to encrypt and decrypt on the fly to make the industry happy, as well as just sending the video.
  • Reply 23 of 26
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    I have access to latest builds of QT7 through my work and along with my engineers am under NDA. But let me tell you this: H.264 is AMAZING. a 30kb/s encoded file from raw source (320x240 origin) played REALLY well at full screen on 1600x1028. Its amazing what this codec can do at such small data rates.
  • Reply 24 of 26
    webmailwebmail Posts: 639member
    Purdue, I went to school there, get out fast! ;-P

Encryption / Decryption? Yeah probably but this isn't the issue with streaming. That's an issue with selling the movies. The poster is talking about streaming in his own home.

However that said I remember the start of the itunes store. It was unthinkable that somebody scored a deal with the studios to legally download music. Someday soon I'm sure a company will have movies-on-demand for your computer. Although comcast has a decent selection of on-demand television now... Maybe the cable providers will beat out the computer companies for pay-per-video?

Quote:

well your deal sounds fantastic but it completely ignores copyright protection. if apple released such a device, it would have to encrypt and decrypt on the fly to make the industry happy, as well as just sending the video.

• Reply 25 of 26
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by webmail

Purdue, I went to school there, get out fast! ;-P

Encryption / Decryption? Yeah probably but this isn't the issue with streaming. That's an issue with selling the movies. The poster is talking about streaming in his own home.?

actually i've got a good network right now at purdue with film/video people, so i'll be here for a while

but anyways:

encryption is an issue here if he has a protected network.
  • Reply 26 of 26
    webmailwebmail Posts: 639member
    well at least if your there go the the crappy burrito place and mail me one of those big as your head burritos. :-) are those two coffee shops still on that corner? and the subway. Forget the name of the shop. I got a tattoo right there as well.

Good times.

Quote:

actually i've got a good network right now at purdue with film/video people, so i'll be here for a while

but anyways:

encryption is an issue here if he has a protected network.