Panic: We are hanging here?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hello, I am new to the world of apple/OSX, I recently purchased a used as/is ibook and this is the screen I am getting upon boot:

(linked due to size)

http://ryzor.com/up/files/ibookscreen.jpg

Any help as I continue to search this forum for answers?

Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Old fashioned kernel panic. Some system files on the HD are corrupt or missing, the first line of the panic gives that clue. The hardware can't find the appropriate boot file on the HD.

I am going to guess the old owner tried to slick off some personal info and hosed the install? You are going to have to reload the OS from scratch and hopefully they did not hose anything else on the drive. Gonna need either system CD's or the Software Restore CDs that originally came with the iBook for that.

First step would be just try to reinstall the OS from those CDs. Try the Archive and Install option to get things running again. If that doesn't work other options become either more perilous to the data on the drive or potentially costly if you care about the data.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Not worried about the data, now its just the matter of getting ahold of a cd..
  • Reply 3 of 10
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by neosen

Where are you located? In US?
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by lundy

Where are you located? In US?

orlando florida
  • Reply 5 of 10
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

orlando florida

Check your PMs.

--Johnny
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Quote:

The previous owner didn't give you the system CDs?
  • Reply 7 of 10
    neosenneosen Posts: 8member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ThinkingDifferent

The previous owner didn't give you the system CDs?

Nope, I got a copy of the cds though, kept trying to install but at around 73% each time the hd would start making an awful noise...

I finally tried formatting the 20gb drive into two equal partitions and installed on the SECOND partition, seems to be working

but i have a feeling this drive is on its way out...
  • Reply 8 of 10
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    If you can boot up with this drive then go to version tracker and get SMARTreporter.

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/23232

It is a free app which reads diagnostic information from your HD and indicates when it sees signs of failure.

Not foolproof but any information is better than none.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:

Originally posted by neutrino23

If you can boot up with this drive then go to version tracker and get SMARTreporter.

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/23232

It is a free app which reads diagnostic information from your HD and indicates when it sees signs of failure.

Not foolproof but any information is better than none.

Disk Utility which is available on the System CDs will report SMART status as well. You can find DU in the menus when started from the CD. If the drive is S.M.A.R.T. "FAILED or failing" a note as such will show up at the bottom of the main DU window highlighted in red. You might have to run a verification first, but maybe not.

Sounds like there was a reason he sold you the iBook as/is, unless he told you the HD was fried I'd be a bit pissed right now. Bad noises almost certainly mean the iBook took an impact some-when that caused a physical head crash in the HD. A head crash will permanently damage the platter and make a portion unreadable which kicks a whole set of HD logic into action.

Those noises are the HD read/write heads parking and re-calibrating trying to ensure they were looking at the correct spot on the HD when they failed to find a sector preamble and then couldn't even find sector preambles for the track spare sectors. There is exactly one solution for a problem like that, a new HD.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    neosenneosen Posts: 8member
    I got the ibook for a steal, so I cannot complain but yea this does suck, the hd is still working somehow but its nothing I really trust, the thing is the 80gb drive in my other laptop just went too, blah... so i need to purchase two drives and a new battery for the ibook...