Will July Macworld bring a REAL Powerbook?!?!?

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 79
    i dont see a "real" powerbook coming in july or even WWDC, especially with tiger coming out mid april, announced beginning of april. i think at this "special apple event" well see new emacs and imacs that have 512 ram and maybe some minor upgrades in hd, gpu, and of course the speed bump. perhaps the powermacs will just get 512 ram standard but no big upgrade until WWDC or so. so then the entirely mid range to high end lines will have 512 ram and will work smoothly with tiger, leaving only the lower consumer models(iBook and mac mini) to wait until a Powerbook G5 or their next revision to have 512 standard.

as for the "real" powerbook statement, i just bought a 1.67 15 inch superdrive and last time i checked (right now as i type on it) it seems real to me...its performance is excellent for any business professional and anyone in the graphics field, so i just dont understand how much pure power one would need in a portable...with portables you sacrifice power...and consumers buy portables to have what they want...a portable...if you're really in the need for pure power, i would suggest waiting for the powermac upgrade or revision b of the powerbook g5...

oh yes...my guess is PowerBook G5 at Paris Expo.
  • Reply 62 of 79
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Just for reference... apple did this exact thing with the powermac 2 years ago. They upgraded to dual 1.42 ... 3 months later announced the g5 powermac. So don't use a time constraint as justification.

Apple knows everyone is waiting for a powerbook g5. I believe that is the #1 thing hurting powerbook sales (these are the lowest PB sales ever). The #2 thing hurting powerbook sales is the powerbook specs are way too close to the iBook, why spend all that extra money on a powerbook when you almost get the exact same thing for 500-600 less.

On top of the reasons that powerbook sales are being hurt, ibook sales have potential to suffer as well in a few months. The iBooks don't have a tiger compatible graphics card, that is the only thing hardware wise that separates the iBook and Powerbook, IMO. If the iBook had a tiger compatible graphics card I wouldn't even question which one to buy. Apple is definitely going to want to upgrade the powerbook when tiger is released, else sales #s will drop when consumers realize it can't "fully" run tiger. It makes it extremely difficult to upgrade the iBooks when they are so close to the powerbook as it is. Thus needing to upgrade those powerbooks AS SOON AS POSSIBLE! (If apple follows upgrading the iBook as it has the last 4 years, then it will be upgraded in april).

These have to be some major concerns of apple! If they didn't have these concerns then their marketing strategies suck .
  • Reply 63 of 79
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

Originally posted by emig647

Just for reference... apple did this exact thing with the powermac 2 years ago. They upgraded to dual 1.42 ... 3 months later announced the g5 powermac. So don't use a time constraint as justification.

I'm not saying this couldn't happen, but with regards to the powermac, a quick look at apple-history.com seems to indicate that the dual 1.42 was released in January '03 followed by the G5 in June. That's six months.
  • Reply 64 of 79
    Why is everyone screaming for a G5? Higher power consumption, and not much of a real powerboost in most real life applications...Personally, I'd much rather see an 8641D in the hight end 15 and 17 inch PB's, with the lower models getting a single core 8641, and the ibooks getting a 7448. Check out this link to see what I'm talking about:

http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/...=DRPPCDUALCORE

Nominal power usage, high performance, upgraded bus, dual core G4 processor, support for DDR2 memory. It would be perfect for a high end powerbook, much more so than just craming a G5 in there IMO. This chip would demolish a G5 is any real life app....
  • Reply 65 of 79
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Alcibiades

...Personally, I'd much rather see an 8641D in the hight end 15 and 17 inch PB's, with the lower models getting a single core 8641, and the ibooks getting a 7448. Check out this link to see what I'm talking about:

http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/...=DRPPCDUALCORE

Nominal power usage, high performance, upgraded bus, dual core G4 processor, support for DDR2 memory. It would be perfect for a high end powerbook, much more so than just craming a G5 in there IMO. This chip would demolish a G5 is any real life app....

Yeah, this has been discussed extensively here not long time ago. And for now, there are no options for Apple's portables other than the 7448 and 8641 single and dual core processors from Freescale. Especially the 8641D processor could easily compete not only with todays Dothans, but also with Yonah, the upcoming dual-core Dothan.

Unfortunately, there is nothing from the IBM side, officialy at least. The 970 family processors are not (and perhaps they never will be) suitable for mobile usage. However, I am curious to see more details about this PPE found in CELL architecture. It has Altivec, it is a 64-bit processor, and although things are not yet clear, it seems to be a low-power CPU.

I guess it would compare very favorably against a G4 (even the upcoming e600 from Freescale), epsecially since it is much higher clocked, and I have a feeling that it is perhaps the answer to the G5-mobile problem. Throw in a couple of SPEs and you have a really high-performance multimedia chip in a portable. This is actually what suggests the development paradigm that Apple follows with Core Image/Core Video (exploit any high-performance hardware resource found in the system: GPU, Altivec, multiple processors for now, and why not, CELL SPEs, particularly suitable for such tasks, tomorrow).
  • Reply 66 of 79
    Quote:

Originally posted by Flounder

I'm not saying this couldn't happen, but with regards to the powermac, a quick look at apple-history.com seems to indicate that the dual 1.42 was released in January '03 followed by the G5 in June. That's six months.

Depends what site you go to... According to buyers guide at macrumors.com they were released in feb... but they actually didn't ship until march. But I suppose you can say that for the g5 as well.
  • Reply 67 of 79
    Quote:

Why is everyone screaming for a G5? Higher power consumption, and not much of a real powerboost in most real life applications...

Perhaps for future use? Tiger is going to be 64bit compatible... you WILL see performance gains there. Applications are going to move to 64bit eventually... as far as right now...t he need... is close to nil.
  • Reply 68 of 79
    I just caught this article at Macworld

about PCI-e coming to laptops.

http://www.macworld.com/news/2005/03...card/index.php
  • Reply 69 of 79
    thttht Posts: 5,447member
    Quote:

Perhaps for future use? Tiger is going to be 64bit compatible... you WILL see performance gains there. Applications are going to move to 64bit eventually... as far as right now...t he need... is close to nil.

There are no performance benefits for 64 bit apps. The only benefits for 64 bit apps will be 4+ GB addressable memory and native 64 bit integer math. Neither of which aren't exactly in high demand, yet. In Tiger, 64 bits apps will exist in the form of command line applications. For interacting with said apps, a user can use a 32 bit application that interfaces with the 64 bit app or the CLI itself. The performance payoff for G5 computers in Tiger will be in more G5 optimizations (as opposed to G4 optimizations) resulting in more performance.

Mac OS X will likely exist as a 32/64 bit hybrid for the rest of its life, with 32 bit apps being the majority.
  • Reply 70 of 79
    thttht Posts: 5,447member
    Quote:

Why is everyone screaming for a G5? Higher power consumption, and not much of a real powerboost in most real life applications...

The 8641D has a volume production schedule of 1H 06. Freescale could do well and start production in January of 06, but considering their history and current lack of 90 nm parts, closer to June of 06 is probably the reality. So, it could more than a year before the 8641D is in a shipping product.

The 970 and its derivatives are available now, or a laptop capale one is real soon now.

Quote:

For multithreaded applications, a 2 GHz 8641D will likely have about 60% more integer performance, the same floating point performance and about 60% more SIMD performance as a 2 GHz 970. For single threaded applications, it's will be about the same in integer, 50% less in floating point and the same in SIMD.
  • Reply 71 of 79
    Quote:

Originally posted by THT

Mac OS X will likely exist as a 32/64 bit hybrid for the rest of its life, with 32 bit apps being the majority.

Maybe / Maybe not. Eventually it will be much easier to write a pure 64bit system than to keep optimizing the hybrid.
  • Reply 72 of 79
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Maybe / Maybe not. Eventually it will be much easier to write a pure 64bit system than to keep optimizing the hybrid.

That would be Mac OS XI
  • Reply 73 of 79
    webmailwebmail Posts: 639member
    Why should we compare it to a Sony? This is a powerbook it's the Jesus Christ of laptops. It's the best you can get. Well not right now it isn't. Powerbooks have always been known for desktop performance in a mobile package, shoved into a case that you just can't believe contains all this power. Does it feel like that now? No. The screen blows. the speeds sucks, the board is outdated. It's 2 year old design.

Powerbook sales suck for a reason, not because we need a g5, but because we can't justify buying new mini speed bumps. Sorry but I bought a powerbook 3 years ago. And I'm sure as hell not going to buy another one right this second until Apple gets something impressive again. Remember when your jaw dropped in awe at the newly released powerbook? That hasn't happened in forever.

Quote:

Originally posted by cubist

Your comparison is between a laptop and a portable desktop. You should compare the PowerBook to something like a Sony Vaio laptop with a Centrino M-type processor. (This comparison may not make the Apple look so good either.) 7200RPM drives are real hot power hogs, and two of them will consume power like mad.

Furthermore, I have seen Powerbooks run for over 4 hours on battery. I have seen PC laptops that claimed 2 hours go black in less than one. Anyone who takes manufacturer specs (including Apple's) on battery life as fact is heading for disappointment. Everything depends on what you run.

• Reply 74 of 79
    webmailwebmail Posts: 639member
    there's about 6 pc laptops in my office with this option already. 3ghz and an unbelievable 5 hours battery life.

Quote:

Originally posted by FallenFromTheTree

I just caught this article at Macworld

about PCI-e coming to laptops.

http://www.macworld.com/news/2005/03...card/index.php

• Reply 75 of 79
    We have to keep in mind that it took the better part of 2 years

for any Wintel laptop to surpass any qualities now missing from

the Powerbooks, but they still don't offer the stability and security

of OSX.

PowerBooks still account for 48% of Apple computer sales.

Although the wait may be frustrating, I'm reasonably sure

that Apple will delight us with their next offering.
  • Reply 76 of 79
    Quote:

Originally posted by FallenFromTheTree

We have to keep in mind that it took the better part of 2 years

for any Wintel laptop to surpass any qualities now missing from

the Powerbooks, but they still don't offer the stability and security

of OSX.

PowerBooks still account for 48% of Apple computer sales.

Although the wait may be frustrating, I'm reasonably sure

that Apple will delight us with their next offering.

Powerbooks DO NOT account for 48 of apple's total sales...

The powerbook is the worst selling prodcut from apple right now. Maybe you meant 48% of total laptop sales... but then are you talking about money grossed or actual total numbers? The money grossed... maybe but total numbers are way off.

2004 quarter 4 - Results

2005 #s
  • Reply 77 of 79
    ibook911ibook911 Posts: 607member
    Just wait for quarter 2 results in April. The Poewrbook will have sold more than the iBook, since the Pbook was updated.

The iBook started beating Powerbook in the past two corners, for the Powerbook had not been updated, and the last quarter was Christmas season, where consumers buy consumer machines.
  • Reply 78 of 79
    heh you call that an update =)

Either way, the pb has never accounted for 48% of apple's total sales.
  • Reply 79 of 79
    I thought I saw those figures somewhere, my bad for poor research