Final word on Powerbook's

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Alright, here is the deal.

I would like anyone's opinion on whether or not I should go ahead and buy a 15" Powerbook (Combo drive) on Monday.

The problem I am having is whether or not I am getting the bang for my buck. In another thread, everyone is saying that the PB has become a sub-par notebook and in some regards, I wholly agree. But is holding out going to produce a better step forward? (ie- faster subsystem, dual G4's, G5, faster RAM, faster HD, better vid. card, etc.)

Now, I am in no rush to get a computer especially with this semester winding down, but I would still like to have one. Are we going to see them at WWDC? MWParis?

The talk of funk'd up track pads and then incredibly subpar tech has made me question one last time.

So what would you guys do in my situation? Keep in mind that I am a starving student and would cry if I only held out a bit longer to get a better computer for the same or less money and also that I am not in a huge rush to be getting it.

Thanks everyone.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    I have a new 15" powerbook, trackpad is fine. If you buy one and it doesn't work, then it goes back to Apple and they fix it. I also bought a 15" PB about 1.5 years ago, that my wife now uses. It has been a work horse, but did go back for white spots twice. I'm happy with both purchases, despite the spot issue, which was fixe with minor inconvience. Let's face it, if and when the G5 PB comes, revision 1 may also have its share of issues.

My general rule is buy when you need it and no sooner. It sounds to me that you really don't need to buy, so why not wait. However, if a new PB is going to help you get through the semester better, then I think the current model is just fine.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    I would agree with the last poster. If you don't need it hold off until you need it, or usually in my case my patience breaks down and I buy it anyways. As was the case with my new 20" ASD, didn't really need it but I knew I would need a new monitor. So I waited for like 7 months and went for it because I couldn't stand working on my other monitor. Oh and as I'm sure you're aware technology changes constantly so you shouldn't really worry about something better and faster as there always is.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Can't really say much about "your situation" because we don't know what you'll be using the machine for or what makes your case different from the millions of people who have already started threads exactly like this one.

For instance: Why wouldn't the 9700 be good enough for your needs? Do you play 1st-person shooters and which? Do you do video editing?

If you really have read the other threads, you know that there are some problems with the new trackpad.

You also know that if you wait for the next PB it will most likely be Rev A. Will that have more or fewer problems than this final Rev PB G4?

WTF knows?

What is lacking in the other threads that would help you make your decision? This guy had basically the same question, as did thousands of others.

--B
  • Reply 4 of 12
    ibook911ibook911 Posts: 607member
    I purchased the new 12 inch, and I love it. I find it to be a very capable machine. It has certainly met my needs. I use all the Apple applications, plus Photoshop and Illustrator. I must say that I have not been disappointed in any aspect of this Powerbook. The 5400 RPM drives becoming standard was a big boost.

Also, don't forget about your student discount. However, you might consider Amazon too. They have $150 rebates on the Powerbooks right now.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    ryanhryanh Posts: 116member
    Well, I plan on using it for basic functions (Internet, email, word processing, digital photosp) as well as iMovie, Photoshop (some hefty renders), page layout (brochures, ads, etc.), and wouldn't mind playing WoW on it. I currently have an iMac G5 (17" base model) and a 1Ghz 12" PB G4 that is on its last legs.

Upgrading now would be nice, but I just don't know if it will be worth it. I'm sorry for starting another thread. Just wanted opinions.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    zenarcadezenarcade Posts: 126member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ryanh

Well, I plan on using it for basic functions (Internet, email, word processing, digital photosp) as well as iMovie, Photoshop (some hefty renders), page layout (brochures, ads, etc.), and wouldn't mind playing WoW on it. I currently have an iMac G5 (17" base model) and a 1Ghz 12" PB G4 that is on its last legs.

Upgrading now would be nice, but I just don't know if it will be worth it. I'm sorry for starting another thread. Just wanted opinions.

I think that I speak for everyone when I say that for basic internet, for basic iMovie and for casual gaming . . . .

You should buy the fastest ( and cheapest ) Dell !

[I am sorry for being harsh . but if you have a iMac G5 and it isn´t fast enough for doing simple stuff, nothing will ever be fast enough]

Zon
  • Reply 7 of 12
    aslan^aslan^ Posts: 599member
    Quote:

a 1Ghz 12" PB G4 that is on its last legs.

say what !?

I decided to take money that I would be spending on a laptop and squirrel it away so it will be there when I need it (to buy another laptop), right now a desktop and a pda take care of all my computing needs, my ibook 600 has been relegated to webserver/itunes duties and the pda I have is much more practical as a portable computing solution (Zaurus SL-6000).

With that being said... what will a new powerbook give you over your 12" powerbook... probably nothing, your best bet is waiting for Tiger and installing it on your 12", a new OS is just like having a new computer. Thats how I felt when I upgraded from 10.1 to 10.3, save yourself $130 and wait for Tiger !
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by AsLan^

With that being said... what will a new powerbook give you over your 12" powerbook... probably nothing, your best bet is waiting for Tiger and installing it on your 12", a new OS is just like having a new computer. Thats how I felt when I upgraded from 10.1 to 10.3, save yourself $130 and wait for Tiger !

My power book is shot. I took it in to get it serviced because it started booting up dirt slow. The Apple tech whom I have known personally for a long time said that the HD was starting to go but it could be replaced no problem. So I thought I would do that and then finally upgrade from 256RAM. But when he went to install the ram he realized that the slot was dead and said that the computer will still work fine and the harddrive will fix my problem but if i wanted more ram i would need a new logic board. I decided it wasn't worth it seeing as how I had enough money to upgrade. Now that the supply lines in Canada have started to settle down (sort of) and I can actually get my hands on one, I hear that they are not worth it.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by zenarcade

I think that I speak for everyone when I say that for basic internet, for basic iMovie and for casual gaming . . . .

You should buy the fastest ( and cheapest ) Dell !

[I am sorry for being harsh . but if you have a iMac G5 and it isn´t fast enough for doing simple stuff, nothing will ever be fast enough]

Zon

Well, the iMac is my family's computer and it often resorts to fisticuffs for who gets on it. It isn't that it is not fast enough for me.

And no. I won't buy a Dell. I've walked down that road before. It always ends in contemplating suicide.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Quote:

My power book is shot. I took it in to get it serviced because it started booting up dirt slow. The Apple tech whom I have known personally for a long time said that the HD was starting to go but it could be replaced no problem. So I thought I would do that and then finally upgrade from 256RAM. But when he went to install the ram he realized that the slot was dead and said that the computer will still work fine and the harddrive will fix my problem but if i wanted more ram i would need a new logic board. I decided it wasn't worth it seeing as how I had enough money to upgrade. Now that the supply lines in Canada have started to settle down (sort of) and I can actually get my hands on one, I hear that they are not worth it.

Have you got a second opinion ? from what I understand a powerbook is a fairly solid computer, have you tried just putting in a new ram chip yourself ? obviously I dont know the guy but Im sure someone here has an extra 128 or 256 that they could send you... then just pop it in and see if it works, then you'll know for sure, Ive never heard of a RAM slot going out and the rest of the computer working fine... although strange things always happen with computers.

And as for your hard drive... if it is in fact starting to go, but not making any clicking noises or other indicators of a hard drive near death, you could reformat it, which could help as disk utility should tag the bad sectors and not format them (that is how it works on windows, Im not sure about disk utility though, but it seems like basic functionality to me!). As well as that... on my ibook the disk utility has been reporting my HD as "failing" for over a year now... and I havnt had any problems to speak of, that doesnt stop me from backing up my data though.

You might want to take the time to run your own diagnostics and see what the deal is... a 1 Ghz 12" powerbook is still a decent computer and I personally would be happy to have one !
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by AsLan^

Have you got a second opinion ? from what I understand a powerbook is a fairly solid computer, have you tried just putting in a new ram chip yourself ? obviously I dont know the guy but Im sure someone here has an extra 128 or 256 that they could send you... then just pop it in and see if it works, then you'll know for sure, Ive never heard of a RAM slot going out and the rest of the computer working fine... although strange things always happen with computers.

And as for your hard drive... if it is in fact starting to go, but not making any clicking noises or other indicators of a hard drive near death, you could reformat it, which could help as disk utility should tag the bad sectors and not format them (that is how it works on windows, Im not sure about disk utility though, but it seems like basic functionality to me!). As well as that... on my ibook the disk utility has been reporting my HD as "failing" for over a year now... and I havnt had any problems to speak of, that doesnt stop me from backing up my data though.

You might want to take the time to run your own diagnostics and see what the deal is... a 1 Ghz 12" powerbook is still a decent computer and I personally would be happy to have one !

Ya, I did get a second opinion. And a third. Apparently it is not that uncommon. It's due to dust usually. That will learn me for living in a basement with a furnace quite close. Needless to say, I change the filter more often than necessary now and spring for the good ones.

In the case of the HD, I have tried everything. And it's no much a clicking sound, as the sound of an airplane's engine failing on take-off; kind of spins up and then starts struggling and degenerates into a really loud chug-a-lug.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Quote:

Ya, I did get a second opinion. And a third. Apparently it is not that uncommon. It's due to dust usually. That will learn me for living in a basement with a furnace quite close. Needless to say, I change the filter more often than necessary now and spring for the good ones.

In the case of the HD, I have tried everything. And it's no much a clicking sound, as the sound of an airplane's engine failing on take-off; kind of spins up and then starts struggling and degenerates into a really loud chug-a-lug.

Sorry to hear it, I guess a new powerbook is in order... if you dont need it right away, at least wait for Tiger... that'll save you $130 and maybe a new powerbook will come out too.