What the hell is wrong with my system?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I don't get what the deal is with my system, it's really slowed down lately. I have a new Powerbook 15.2'' 1.5ghz G4 with 1.25GB RAM that i purchased in August. Laltey it's just really annoying me.

Here are a few examples of my anguish

When searching for files in finder, with "everywhere" it takes ages and completely locks up the computer, with "local disks" it doens't take quite as long but the computer still locks up.

Just now the only programs I had open were Mozilla, and Adium, and as I'm watching a movie with VLC, every 2 minutes or so it would lock up for a few seconds.

I did "top" in terminal and here's what i got

whats with all the page outs? i don't think that's normal is it?

what should i do about this? maybe completely format my hard drive and reinstall OSX?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    omegaomega Posts: 427member
    Not sure if I can help you but looking at my system I currently have:

90932 pageins and 54314 pageouts.

However looking at your Memory used you are maxing it out as it says you only have 14.9MB free out of your 1024MB.

I am not sure if this is RSize or VSize ( I think it is RSize)that is shown above.

A real guru should hopefully come along soon....

• Reply 2 of 5
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Finder is crashing and restarting.

Notice that Finder has the highest process ID (PID). Higher = newer. It couldn't have a newer PID unless it was being restarted, and the Finder will automatically restart if it crashes.

Now as to *why*... no clue. :} Would make sense though that it complaining about CoreServices since that's where Finder resides. Next time this happens, scribble down what it says, or better, take a screenshot.

Before you try reformatting and reinstalling, maybe if you tried uninstalling ShapeShifter, and any haxies you have installed?
  • Reply 3 of 5
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    I've noticed this same thing on my Pismo in a second user. It started immediately after the last update. Let me guess, you are running 10.3.8. Right?

Bugs the hell out of me. EVERYTHING freezes up for 5 seconds. Even the mouse, which has to mean something deep in the system is freaking out. I is almost like clockwork every 15 minutes or so.

I never had the time to start a darn thread, but I'll reply to one.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by djmb

I did "top" in terminal and here's what i got

whats with all the page outs? i don't think that's normal is it?

[/B]

That's not unusual to have a few pageouts as VM tries to anticipate what is going to page in. This is new in later versions of Mac OS X.

Also, the "almost full" RAM is the way OS X is supposed to work. It tries to keep all the RAM used as much as possible. You paid for it, so you might as well use it.

I agree that third-party system-changing stuff and Finder restarts seem likely to be related.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

Also, the "almost full" RAM is the way OS X is supposed to work. It tries to keep all the RAM used as much as possible. You paid for it, so you might as well use it.

So what is a good way to see if you need more memory?