Budget display advice

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I've currently got a 12-inch 1 Ghz Powerbook G4 and the small display is severely fatiguing my eyes. I am very interested in purchasing a flat-panel LCD display, but am afraid I've only got a small student budget ($300) and certainly cannot afford an Apple Cinema display. Suggestions?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    ibook911ibook911 Posts: 607member
    How about a Dell or Samsung? You can look at some of Samsung's at Amazon.com

For Dell's, go to Dell's website. Obviously Dell usually wins the battle on display prices. This would be a good choice for under $300: http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/P...ctlisting.aspx

That display has DVI and VGA connections, and it is very adjustable in terms of height. 4 USB ports too. However, I suggest you wait until Thursday. Dell has been having short-term coupons on displays every Thursday. Next Thursday morning, log on to: techbargains.com and see if there are some display coupons from dell, for that day.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Ohhh, the Samsungs are cool. Their cheap and they have a TV Tuner;

The Samsung SyncMaster 710MP is a 17-inch TFT-LCD display delivering next-generation TV functionality with its built-in TV tuner. This display is a three in one TFT allowing computer, video and TV inputs. It features a 600:1 contrast ratio, 1280 x 1024 resolution, 0.264 pixel pitch and viewing angle of 160/140 degrees.

The prices are from 360 - 400 dollars.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Check out a Rosewill 910 from newegg.com - my buddy got his shipped for 340 dollars - 19" LCD w/ DVI/analog and speakers baby!

It looks gooooood with his mini.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    wingnutwingnut Posts: 197member
    I have the Samsung Syncmaster 512n, and I love it. Samsungs are very nice, and I recommend them 100%.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    mmmpiemmmpie Posts: 628member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PeePeeSee

Check out a Rosewill 910 from newegg.com - my buddy got his shipped for 340 dollars - 19" LCD w/ DVI/analog and speakers baby!

It looks gooooood with his mini.

Ive got a KDS rad5, yeah, its only 15", but its got a pretty good image, and I picked it up for free out of a dumpster.

Just keep your eyes peeled.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    I just sold my mother a 17" Samsung monitor for $249.98 with a 50 mail-in-rebate. $199 baby!!
  • Reply 7 of 10
    skatmanskatman Posts: 609member
    Most of Dell's lower end monitors (15,17'') are made by LG. Most of them suffer from horizontal retrace lines when viewed at an angle.

I would definitely go Samsung over Dell. NEC is also excellent and you can find one at a decent price.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by skatman

Most of Dell's lower end monitors (15,17'') are made by LG. Most of them suffer from horizontal retrace lines when viewed at an angle.

Are you including the ultra sharp DVI models in that opinion? I thought the ultra sharp DVI models were well respected?
  • Reply 9 of 10
    skatmanskatman Posts: 609member
    I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "ultra sharp DVI".

I work on a few 17'' Dell models with DVI inputs and they have the retrace effect.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by skatman

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "ultra sharp DVI".

I work on a few 17'' Dell models with DVI inputs and they have the retrace effect.

Ok. I thought maybe you were refering to the analog-only Dell displays.