Attention iMac G5 owners !

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 52
    The truth is exactly as I stated, and there is no pain whatsoever. Take your lame ass rant somewhere else.
  • Reply 42 of 52
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

Originally posted by zenarcade

But again . . this thread is for those who actually owns an iMac G5....

For those who actually plays games like WarCraft, Medal of Honor, Battlefield 1942, Rise Of Nations, Call of Duty or similar on their iMac G5.

Let´s hear it from them !

Zon

Dude, what do you want? Buy the thing already, it sounds like the decision has been made. You?re just accepting the good reviews and giving shitt to the others. Single mindedness means the decision has been done, BUY IT.

By the way, it sounds like your more hung up on games and specs then you make your self out ,which means your not going to be happy with an iMac, your just being silly.
  • Reply 43 of 52
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    you're right... relax,

breath...
  • Reply 44 of 52
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aurora

I know the truth hurts dont be such a Mac Zealot. I know there are plenty of imac owners who dont know what a game is and thats good for them and their fx5200. But since this thread is about imac and gaming i thought i would tell it like it is. iMac has a very poor video system that cant run its display at native while doing any recent games. Glad you love your machine but when it comes to gaming iMacs will leave you wanting. But they are stylish\

This thread is for those who actually play games on an iMac G5.

Others opinions about " Geforce 5200 sux" is a waste of time.

Zon
  • Reply 45 of 52
    Quote:

Originally posted by nowayout11

Well, the message was (sort of) tongue in cheek but the point is true. Apple lacks a qualifying "prosumer" computer. I don't need dual core, but I would like to play some modern games with advanced graphic options at a reasonable resolution and FPS. To do that I'd have to BTO the base G5 and upgrade it to almost $2000. That's a professional price according to my bank book.

How do you know ?

Have you ACTUALLY played any "modern" game on an iMac ?
  • Reply 46 of 52
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

This thread is for those who actually play games on an iMac G5.

Others opinions about " Geforce 5200 sux" is a waste of time.

Zon

Well I'll put it simply. If you don't mind playing a lot of games at the absolute minimum settings and quite possibly at below native resolution then the iMac is fine but personally I find the iMac rather unimpressive for games. It struggles with WoW. Doom 3 it'll fail miserably on and Sims 2 it isn't going to be too crash hot either. All 3 of those games are likely to be things that iMac owners want to play and all 3 you will be missing out on a lot because the GFX card simply isn't up to the job.

You want to disagree with me then I suggest actually buying an iMac and looking how it runs WoW for a start.
  • Reply 47 of 52
    zenarcadezenarcade Posts: 126member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Telomar

Well I'll put it simply. If you don't mind playing a lot of games at the absolute minimum settings and quite possibly at below native resolution then the iMac is fine but personally I find the iMac rather unimpressive for games. It struggles with WoW. Doom 3 it'll fail miserably on and Sims 2 it isn't going to be too crash hot either. All 3 of those games are likely to be things that iMac owners want to play and all 3 you will be missing out on a lot because the GFX card simply isn't up to the job.

You want to disagree with me then I suggest actually buying an iMac and looking how it runs WoW for a start.

I am not a sort of iMac G5 apologist. I am going to buy an iMac. What I am trying to say is . . . . I want to hear more actual reports from people that is playing games on their iMac.

One thing. When my son is here in the weekends, we play all sort of games on my network. This is my settings . . .

1 GHz Powerbook ( 2003)

700 MHz iBook ( 2002 )

450 MHz G4 Cube ( 2000 ) with Geforce3 !!!

This is what we usually play ->

Medal of Honor - Breaktrough

WarCraft - Frozen Throne

Unreal 2003

Even my old G4 Cube doesn´t play these on minimal settings. So, I don´t believe that the iMac G5 will only be playable on minimal setting. But again. Actual owners should know this better than me.

Also. just to say it is unimpressive isn´t that much of a help.

Zon
  • Reply 48 of 52
    Quote:

I am not a sort of iMac G5 apologist. I am going to buy an iMac. What I am trying to say is . . . . I want to hear more actual reports from people that is playing games on their iMac.

One thing. When my son is here in the weekends, we play all sort of games on my network. This is my settings . . .

1 GHz Powerbook ( 2003)

700 MHz iBook ( 2002 )

450 MHz G4 Cube ( 2000 ) with Geforce3 !!!

This is what we usually play ->

Medal of Honor - Breaktrough

WarCraft - Frozen Throne

Unreal 2003

Even my old G4 Cube doesn´t play these on minimal settings. So, I don´t believe that the iMac G5 will only be playable on minimal setting. But again. Actual owners should know this better than me.

Also. just to say it is unimpressive isn´t that much of a help.

Zon

Medal Of Honor and Unreal 2003 are older engines and will play fine on the iMac but not at the native resolution of the monitor, 1024 X 768 with medium settings will get you 30 -40 fps. Warcraft will play at native rez as it is not a 3D intensive game.
  • Reply 49 of 52
    Quote:

How do you know ?

Have you ACTUALLY played any "modern" game on an iMac ?

I played a few, and watched someone else also. It's the balance act I described. Something has to be forfeited.
  • Reply 50 of 52
    zenarcadezenarcade Posts: 126member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Relic

Medal Of Honor and Unreal 2003 are older engines and will play fine on the iMac but not at the native resolution of the monitor, 1024 X 768 with medium settings will get you 30 -40 fps. Warcraft will play at native rez as it is not a 3D intensive game.

Excellent. Good posting !

As a sidequestion . . . When do you think others will use the Doom3 game-engine ? Personally, I will guess 2 years from now.

Zon
  • Reply 51 of 52
    Zen, get the iMac g5 high end, and just take out the whole logic board. buy yourself a new one and a 6800 graphics card. your set. doesnt cost that much either.

And, im betting in 13 months. (for the doom engine)

http://mactree.sannet.ne.jp/~kodawar.../imacg502.html

might help you. just follow it up to the board. then ull be able to replace that crapstick
  • Reply 52 of 52
    Quote:

Excellent. Good posting !

As a sidequestion . . . When do you think others will use the Doom3 game-engine ? Personally, I will guess 2 years from now.

Zon

Actually it's not just the Doom 3 engine that you'll have to worry about;

Quake 4

Crytek?s Cry engine

Unreal Engine 3

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

GameBryo

Titan 2.0

The Doom3 engine will start appearing in games next month starting with Gothic 3, many more will follow; something around 30 games this year alone. The biggest complaint we have about the iMac is you can?t upgrade the GPU or CPU. So the machine better have above average specs to start out with. Apples choice of GPU is obviously telling us they want you to buy a machine every year, this is fine for a $500 Mini Mac not a $2000 Pro-Consumer machine! The iMac is an expensive under-spec-ed non-upgradeable home machine and you better be comfortable with that before buying it.