Is Nanosaur 2 the best game ever

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I've just bought a 20" iMac and I thought I'd try out the bundled game Nanosaur II.

Is this the best game ever written?

Now, I'm a big fan of games like Half-Life 2 and Call of Duty, but for sheer fun and gameplay, I've always thought that Pangea Softwares offerings are hard to beat.

So, if you've bought a Mac recently check out this great little game. You won't be disappointed!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    try and then buy Escape Velocity from Ambrosia.

We'll hear from you sometime next year
  • Reply 2 of 23
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

Aaaah, you have spoken those evil words. Spent way to much time on that little precise....my precise.
  • Reply 3 of 23
    drsusedrsuse Posts: 49member
    get "wingnut"
  • Reply 4 of 23
    mattjohndrowmattjohndrow Posts: 1,618member
    escape velocity...oh my god...*repeats to self, "i will not get addicted to it again, i will not get addicted to it again"*
  • Reply 5 of 23
    ibook911ibook911 Posts: 607member
    I'm really stupid, when it comes to games. They are too complex these days for me, and I can't stand playing more than thirty minutes every six months. I keep thinking there is soemthing out there I would like...
  • Reply 6 of 23
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    i don't know, deus ex had me rushing home every night to keep playing to find out the next plot twist and conspiracy theory (yes, i watched x-files a lot, too). and i'm not a big fan of firs-person shooters, either. half-life was really good for the first two-thirds, then fell apart (see pervious posts of mine for why). diablo ii had that addictive "if i can just find that one super-rare artifact and up my skills one more level, i will REALLY start kicking ass" kinda way.
  • Reply 7 of 23
    zenatekzenatek Posts: 203member
    Are you serious about Nanasour or are you being sarcastic... I tried it for like 5 minutes and was like this is lame and shut it off.
  • Reply 8 of 23
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    After playing one and a half levels, I don't see anything particularly interesting about Nanosaur.

Gameplay? It's an arcade shooter / "flight sim" except you can't accelerate or decelerate. WTF is up with an animal exploding when touching ground? It has two feet. It should land on them! I think hitboxes in the game are not accurate. Weapons are boring, absolutely bland and unreliable. The only thing I like is the idea of finding the eggs and transporting them, but in practice it gets boring too, there's no challenge to it after you shoot up the towers.

The dinosaur theme is totally glued-on. Why couldn't they make more dinosaurs, and more interesting dinosaurs, instead of dime-a-dozen robotic watchtowers?

Truthfully, I'd like to see some other games bundled instead of Nanosaur. That Escape Velocity thingy sounds real nice, for instance.

It doesn't have as much graphic glitter (not that Nanosaur looks particularly good!) but I like Marble Blast Gold a bit better. At least they don't bundle Deimos Rising anymore.. and that's coming from an avid arcade shoot'em up player.
  • Reply 9 of 23
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Relic

Aaaah, you have spoken those evil words. Spent way to much time on that little precise....my precise.

You are not so precise in mentioning that it was your precious.
  • Reply 10 of 23
    feraliferali Posts: 175member
    Deimos Rising! its soo hard in the upper levels. but whoa it is addictive!
  • Reply 11 of 23
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ferali

Deimos Rising! its soo hard in the upper levels. but whoa it is annoying!

Fixed typo for you.

Seriously, what was good about DR? Totally boring weapons/powerups, enemies and gameplay, bosses weren't even halfway decent.

I'm not expecting R-Type, Ikaruga, Gradius or such, just something on the level of other shareware and freeware shoot'em ups. The ancient Raptor, Zone 66 and the newer freeware (!) Rrootage spring to mind. (Just for comparison - they are DOS and Win32 based and I can't remember anything else.)
  • Reply 12 of 23
    iposteriposter Posts: 1,560member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

Mmmm...EV:N....

*leaves to go capture some more Auroran ships*
  • Reply 13 of 23
    I'd be the best source for games here.

Escape Velocity:Nova requires 20 $ fee to register. DO IT! this game ownz. very fun, and you can only buy 10 ships without registering. you cannot go the best places or have the best time.(nor can you use cheats.Not that i do, but to all yins out there)

Nanosaur 1... was better than nanosaur two. 1 was 7.5/10. fun addicting little game. better when its land based.

And does anyone remember a game where you had little hamsters ride in rollercoasters you build?

lastly... hmm... best mac game is... Oni. Buy it then get patch for OSX. it is the best mac game ever made.(buy bungie, too.Who are they? they made halo. Oni was before that, back in there truly great yet misunderstood creative snap.)
  • Reply 14 of 23
    Oni is really cool, but short (and needs more weapons/multiplayer)

EV Nova is a great little game; addiction is a given here

DR is not so good

If you want REAL addiction and absolutely stunning graphics, buy WoW. Think 1000 hours of game-play before you even realize in reality you are just a Night Elf druid in its human form.
  • Reply 15 of 23
    denmarudenmaru Posts: 208member
    Another great game is "Airburst Extreme" from Freeverse - it´s really funny, has Multiplayer, and is highly addictive.

---> www.airburstextreme.com

The ownly downside is that you have to buy a boxed set - there´s no way to unlock the demo, which is ridiculous IMHO.
  • Reply 16 of 23
    games for mac are cheap solution for mac geeks. for playable and spectacular graphic motion, there is one thing is no doubt, ps2, which games are really call game.

dont fancy buying a mac for game.
  • Reply 17 of 23
    uh.. trolling is not well taken around here..

and if you think the best gaming there is is on PS2... you don't know a darn thing.

Compare PC games vs PS2/Xbox and I'll take PC games any day
  • Reply 18 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

uh.. trolling is not well taken around here..

and if you think the best gaming there is is on PS2... you don't know a darn thing.

Compare PC games vs PS2/Xbox and I'll take PC games any day

fair enough. you just sounds pathetic to me, try ps2 before you saying anything on me.
  • Reply 19 of 23
    I've had a PS2 for years.

The only games I bother playing are GTA series and Burnout 2/3

I just got GrandTourismo 4 and am less than enthusiastic.

It all depends what kind of gaming you like.

I find PS2 to be more of a social gaming system.. you often play with someone, etc

I like PC/Computer gaming because I'm a total First Person Shooter addict (Quake, Doom, Marathon, all the WW2 series, BattleField Vietnam/1942, etc)

On the side I play many little "fun" games availabe on Mac or onlline flash games...

To tell you the truth, many of my PC fanatic friends love the Mac when it comes to the little fun games like Short Circuit, Escape Velocity (and almost all the other Ambrosia games), etc..

At the end of the day it depends what your preferences are.

Until a console will accept keyboard+mouse gaming for FPS games, I think of consoles as wannabe gaming systems. Not less fun, but nowhere near as "hardcore" as a well rigged PC.
  • Reply 20 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by pins and needles

And does anyone remember a game where you had little hamsters ride in rollercoasters you build?

I remember having that game on my old PowerMac G3 when it had Mac OS 8.1, havn't seen it since though. Too bad, it was fun.