9200 vs 9000 pro

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Would a PCI 9200 ATI card perform better then an ATI 9000 Pro ( 4 x AGP) in my dual 1 GHz G4?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mmbarthez

Would a PCI 9200 ATI card perform better then an ATI 9000 Pro ( 4 x AGP) in my dual 1 GHz G4?

http://barefeats.com/rad9200.html

That's all I could find, probably the 9200 would be faster, but I know the bus is slow on the G4s.

If you can afford it, I'd recommend a 9800 model with 4xAGP (yes, they exist).
  • Reply 2 of 7
    auroraaurora Posts: 1,142member
    No! the 9200 is a very poor video system. I know i got one in a MacMini.Its not easy finding a decent video card for older powermacs but you should look for a 9800 or a Geforce4 Titanium. 9200 is very poor and the 9000 is better.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aurora

No! the 9200 is a very poor video system. I know i got one in a MacMini.Its not easy finding a decent video card for older powermacs but you should look for a 9800 or a Geforce4 Titanium. 9200 is very poor and the 9000 is better.

I have a 9200 PCI (the one he's considering buying).

I can safely say that the 9200 PCI is "OK." I haven't had any problems since I started using the latest drivers.

The problems that Mac Mini users are experiencing are almost entirely exclusive to the AGP.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Thanks everyone for your replies, does anyone have anymore information on where i could find an ATI 9800 graphics card for a G4 dual 1 GHz?
  • Reply 6 of 7
    auroraaurora Posts: 1,142member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mmbarthez

Thanks everyone for your replies, does anyone have anymore information on where i could find an ATI 9800 graphics card for a G4 dual 1 GHz?

Go to insanly great Mac or OWC's eshop they have them so does Ati at their home page. be aware they lowered the cost recently so you should be able to get a deal. Start at Ati and then look around. 9200 is garbage dont let anyone fool you. I have a Geforce3 and a 9200. the 9200 sucks compared to my old Geforce3 which sucks compared to my 6800GT
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aurora

Go to insanly great Mac or OWC's eshop they have them so does Ati at their home page. be aware they lowered the cost recently so you should be able to get a deal. Start at Ati and then look around. 9200 is garbage dont let anyone fool you. I have a Geforce3 and a 9200. the 9200 sucks compared to my old Geforce3 which sucks compared to my 6800GT

Then why are you buying a mac mini?

Anyways, here are some good places, but REMEMBER TO GET THE 4x EDITION!