Connecting my Canon S410...instead of iPhoto, can I view CF card directly in Finder

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I have a Canon PowerShot S410 (4.0 MP Digital Elph). I love it (even though I want to dump it for the new 7.1 MP elph ).

I always transfer my photo's via iPhoto using the import and delete original command. I was wandering if there is a way to view the CF card directly like an external HDD so I can copy them to a folder on another computer before doing the import thing. I don't want to use iPhoto on the other computer.

Also, I want to leave the CF Card in the camera at all times. A card reader option is out.

So, can you do it? I can't figure it out.

Regards,

Eric

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aplnub

I have a Canon PowerShot S410 (4.0 MP Digital Elph). I love it (even though I want to dump it for the new 7.1 MP elph ).

I always transfer my photo's via iPhoto using the import and delete original command. I was wandering if there is a way to view the CF card directly like an external HDD so I can copy them to a folder on another computer before doing the import thing. I don't want to use iPhoto on the other computer.

Also, I want to leave the CF Card in the camera at all times. A card reader option is out.

So, can you do it? I can't figure it out.

Regards,

Eric

Certainly, you can browse your camera's file system within the Finder. I do it all the time. iPhoto is a wonderfully convenient app; it is, however, not a required app. You may download your pictures using the Finder. You may also use Image Capture or GraphicConverter. You are not required to delete your pictures from your camera.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    My Sd100 Elph does not let me browse via the finder... It only shows up in iPhoto. A Nikon that I owned last year DID let me browse via the finder. I think it simply depends on what functionality the manufacturer provides.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 582member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jeremiah Rich

My Sd100 Elph does not let me browse via the finder... It only shows up in iPhoto. A Nikon that I owned last year DID let me browse via the finder. I think it simply depends on what functionality the manufacturer provides.

Sometimes you have to set your camera to "Disk Mode" rather than "Camera Mode" which is what I had to do for my HP Photosmart.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Have you tried the Canon software? They have a passable file browser application to copy files to and from the camera. Alternately if get a card reader it will show up in the finder.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    When I want to browse my Camera's card, I just use Image Capture. Just plug in your camera and launch Image capture. The app will then load all your photos and even movies you have stored on your camera.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    wingnutwingnut Posts: 197member
    If nothing else, you can purchase a USB card reader for your type of memory card for $10-20. They are nice because you can also use the memory cards as a portable storage device on just about any computer with a USB slot. I use mine to take files to and from work.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    I second (third) the use of Image Capture. Under it's prefs, you can set it to be the default app for when cameras are plugged in. It can then download all the pics to a folder, or you can browse them all with thumbnails and just take the ones you want or delete ones that you specify.