Sharing my internet connection?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have a couple of old computers for which I don't have a router to network them together. Here's what I have:

A 266 Power Mac running 10.2.8

A Gateway Essential 450 running Windows XP SP2 with two Linksys NICs

A Westell DualLink DSL Modem(Ethernet & USB)

I should have all the necessary hardware. Do I need to connect the Mac and the PC with a crossover or will a regular cable work? The Mac doesn't have built in USB, though it does have a PCI USB card, which the modem won't work with. The Mac also only has the built in ethernet. The Linksys cards won't work in the Mac, or at least it doesn't show up in the Network preferences. So I'm stuck using ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) on the Windows computer to share it's internet connection with the Mac. I assume I should use the Network Setup Wizard on the Windows computer to set it up to share it's internet connection. Should I use two NICs in the PC, one to the modem and one to the Mac. Or should I use the USB on the PC to the modem and one NIC to the Mac? Software settings on the Mac? DHCP? Will the PC assign an IP to the Mac? Proxies?

Help?

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    I figured it out. Plug USB cord in to PC. Plug other end of USB cord in to modem. Plug ethernet cable in to Mac. Plug other end of ethernet cable in to modem. Done.

I'm actually typing on my Mac using Remote Desktop Connection using Internet Explorer on my PC.

I apologize for wasting three minutes of your life.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    fahlmanfahlman Posts: 740member
    Diggin' up my own topic.

Verizon caught on and stopped leasing me two IPs. Shouldn't I be able to get a crossover ethernet cable and plug one end in to the second NIC on the PC and the other end to the built-in ethernet on the Mac, turn on ICS on the XP computer and tweak some setting on the Mac to make it acquire an IP address from the PC? This should be simple, right?
  • Reply 3 of 7
    ericeasonericeason Posts: 118member
    Quote:

Originally posted by fahlman

Diggin' up my own topic.

Verizon caught on and stopped leasing me two IPs. Shouldn't I be able to get a crossover ethernet cable and plug one end in to the second NIC on the PC and the other end to the built-in ethernet on the Mac, turn on ICS on the XP computer and tweak some setting on the Mac to make it acquire an IP address from the PC? This should be simple, right?

That should work. Ive done this with an airport extreme base station connected to the winxp box connected to the cable modem.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by ericeason

That should work. Ive done this with an airport extreme base station connected to the winxp box connected to the cable modem.

Key word being should! It doesn't. Windows XP reports, in one it's annoying, yellow tooltip windows that "A network cable is unplugged." This tells me that either the cable is bad, or for some reason the PC doesn't reconize the Mac's ethernet card on the other end. Chances are it's the cable that I made myself, but I've made so many good straight ethernet cables that unless I don't know how to make a crossover cable; that shouldn't be the problem.

O-OW-G-BW-B-GW-Br-BrW on one end and BrW-Br-GW-B-BW-G-OW-O on the other. This is correct, right?
  • Reply 5 of 7
    ericeasonericeason Posts: 118member
    Quote:

O-OW-G-BW-B-GW-Br-BrW on one end and BrW-Br-GW-B-BW-G-OW-O on the other. This is correct, right?

It doesn't work to flip all of them, you just change two sets. The other end should be G-GW-O-BW-B-OW-Br-BrW
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by ericeason

It doesn't work to flip all of them, you just change two sets. The other end should be G-GW-O-BW-B-OW-Br-BrW

So Now I have the cable made correctly and the XP computer is reporting that the connection is live. When I set the Mac up to use DHCP it just self assigns a IP Address. Shouldn't the XP box auto assign the IP to the Mac?

Edit for spelling.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:

So Now I have the cable made correctly and the XP computer is reporting that the connection is live. When I set the Mac up to use DHCP it just self assigns a IP Address. Shouldn't the XP box auto assign the IP to the Mac?

Edit for spelling.

Do you have internet turned on on the connection to the modem?

In the Network connections dialog box, right click on the LAN connection to the modem and select properties.

On the advanced tab check the box in the Internet Connection Sharing to turn it on.

Click the settings box to turn on the services you want. I just turned everything on and it worked fine.