Powerbook g4 completely sluggish

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have no clue what swith my system but for the past few hours its been very sluggish. i tried rebooting, and shutting down the computer and as soon as it starts it's very slow, the whole boot process takes a very logn time and logging in is a battle too. i tried running Onyx to tweak my system but it's still very bad. what should I do?i have 1.25 gigs of ram so i dont get what the problem is

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    djmbdjmb Posts: 120member
    this is ridiculous even websites are taking forget to load. what is going on here

i see its gradually getting faster and more usable, but still. what could have caused this? just the fact that it slowed down my boot up process is peculiar to me even after shutting it down and rebooting
  • Reply 2 of 6
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Any chance of getting a screenshot from Activity Monitor? You have four stuck threads there, would love to know what they are.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    the computer is back to normal now, activitiy monitor showws no stuck threads. i dont know what happaned, but when this was happening the hard drive was constantly doing something, even if my computer was completely idle

and i still don't understand how it can start from the initial start up even before OSX is loaded. and now be back to normal
  • Reply 4 of 6
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    There may have been a problem with your drive that is was correcting at boot, as well as something else during runtime. Do you have your drive set up to be Journaled? You can open Disk Utility and check the drive info and see if it is or isn't. 'Is' is preferred, it means that it will always be checking as it goes to make sure things are right. This can mean faster boot times, since that's when it will do a full scan and repair if it detects anything out of whack.

While you're in there, you can check the SMART status of the drive, if it supports it. It will give some early warning of failure in many cases.

Or it could be sunspots.

Or actually, you've got a solid 5GB of VM there... what's your free space like? When it gets low, that can cause things to come to a crawl, *and* on restart, cause some things not to get properly saved to disk or flushed out of queue.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    Just a thought, but perhaps there is a problem with the hard drive? CPU utilization is low so that is not the issue. What else could it be?

Try getting SMARTreporter from version tracker. It is a free app which reports diagnostics which are maintained by the HD. If the drive is somehow operating out of spec this should flag it.

Also, you could try running Xbench and see if something is remarkably slower than the typical PB like yours.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    i have a powerbook 80 gig hard drive, i have about 8 gigs of free space, is that not enough?

i'll download SMARTreporter and see what happens

also you can see per this thread - http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...threadid=52131

that this problem was evident not too long ago, but has gradually gotten worse, and i think it has to do with the hard drive. what else could it possibly be