Applications quit unexpectedly with error window!

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi,

I just got my first Mac (a Mini) three days ago. Yesterday I was working on Pages, left the document open for an hour or so while I stepped out, came back to find an error window saying "Application Pages has unexpectedly quit" and asked me to send a Crash Report to Apple. I did that.

Today, just now, I was working on iCal. I was changing the view from 'week' to 'month' using the tabs or menus at the bottom of the iCal screen. Suddenly the application quit and the same error window popped up again saying "Application iCal has unexpectedly quit" and asked me to send the Crash Report to Apple. I did that too.

My question is, why does this happen? Why am I the only one to face problems on a Mac while for everyone else it 'Just Works'?

I run 10.3.8 (7U16), at least that's what my System Profiler says. If there is any more information that I can give out here, please do let me know.

I quit Linux and went to a Mac to avoid these exact problems and finally have a machine that just works.

Thanks in advance and cheers

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    I would have thunk that it was crappy RAM, but I see that you've just got the standard 256 from Apple....

--B
  • Reply 2 of 6
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    This is one of those interesting problems that plagues everyone working with computers.

On the face of it, all computers (of a given type) are the same and if they are running the same OS then why do some people have problems and others do not.

Obviously, the assumption that everyone has the same hardware and software is wrong.

In your case, since you have a new computer, I'd call Apple and discuss this with them. If you live near an Apple store you could even take it in and have them check it out.

Since you've only seen applications fail and you have not seen kernel panics then I suspect the hardware is not to blame. Just a guess but perhaps something became corrupted on the hard drive.

Run the Disk Utility program (in the Utilities folder in the Application folder) and repair permissions. Since Panther came out (10.3) there are usually very few permissions that need repairing.

If you boot the install CD then immediately look in the menus (I forget if it is under the Apple logo or the File menu) there is an option to run a disk utility program. This would let you check the integrity of the directory structure.

Still, even if that is OK something may have become corrupt in the HD. You could reinstall (archive and install is fairly painless) and see if that helps. Before taking this step I'd talk with Apple support since your computer is under warranty.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    tilttilt Posts: 396member
    Thanks Bergz and Neutrino. I live in Canada, so no Apple stores yet. I shall try and talk to Apple like you said. I have already sent in the crash reports.

Cheers
  • Reply 4 of 6
    omegaomega Posts: 427member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tilt

Thanks Bergz and Neutrino. I live in Canada, so no Apple stores yet. I shall try and talk to Apple like you said. I have already sent in the crash reports.

Cheers

Do not expect an answer to those crash reports.

In your applications folder you should have a utilities folder. Look for an app called console.

This will allow you to look at the logs for the crashing applications.

I think if you look in the ~/Library/Logs section, then Crash Reporter, you should be able to get more info about the nature of the crash.

If you post the most recent crashs (the logs can be quite long though you have only be up for a few days so maybe not) someone might be able to help you. I should stress might!

• Reply 5 of 6
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tilt

Hi,

Suddenly the application quit and the same error window popped up again saying "Application iCal has unexpectedly quit" and asked me to send the Crash Report to Apple. I did that too.

OK, after using Disk Utility to repair permissions, and booting from the system DVD to check the disk, the next thing I would do is:

create a second user account, log into it, and see if the problems persist.

If they do not, then the preferences for the original account are the problem. If the problems are the same on both accounts, hard drive corruption or corruption of the OS somehow is the problem.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    tilttilt Posts: 396member
    Thanks everyone. I have just repaired permissions and I am waiting to see if it happens again. If it does, I shall log in as another user to see if it happens there too as Lundy suggested.

Cheers