Multitrack on a Mac for internet radio talk show - 3 part question

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
OK so I posted a thread about USB microphones a few days ago and now I'm thinking about some things for an internet radio show I'm going to be "producing."

I'm looking into getting one of these ($150):

What I need to do is have four (4) microphones hook into this thing, and then get it into some sort of program where I can raise, lower, and mute track volumes.

The show will be pre-recorded so I'm not even worried about latency, as long as the tracks are synchronized.

First off, I need to know if the above would be a good choice for what I'm doing. It uses some sort of "proprietary" protocol called "ASIO 2.0"

I'm absolutely totally new to the digital audio editing field, but I do know audio physics.

I don't need something very high fidelity, but I'd really, really like it if I had 4 track recording.

Also, can I just hook in 4 microphones to the above device? Or do I need a pre-amp?

Second, the only sound editing software I have is iLife '04, Soundsoap, and final cut express.

I could get used to Audacity (which I've been tinkering with), but I really want something where I can lower the volume of specific parts of the track, instead of having to splice the tracks and then lower the volume.

Thirdly, any general conceptual explainations or any other advice you can give me would be appreciated. There are no stupid or useless pieces of advice.

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    ericeasonericeason Posts: 118member
    Quote:

Originally posted by slughead

Second, the only sound editing software I have is iLife '04, Soundsoap, and final cut express.

I could get used to Audacity (which I've been tinkering with), but I really want something where I can lower the volume of specific parts of the track, instead of having to splice the tracks and then lower the volume.[/B]

Gargageband can lower the volume on specfic parts of each track and version 2 can record multiple tracks simultaneously.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ericeason

Gargageband can lower the volume on specfic parts of each track and version 2 can record multiple tracks simultaneously.

Does it support ASIO?
  • Reply 3 of 10
    ericeasonericeason Posts: 118member
    Quote:

Does it support ASIO?

I'm not sure. I don't know much about audio stuff. I searched the help file and apple's web site and couldn't find anything on ASIO. Here is the garageband site that you could look through: http://www.apple.com/ilife/garageband/

Hope this helps
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by ericeason

I'm not sure. I don't know much about audio stuff. I searched the help file and apple's web site and couldn't find anything on ASIO. Here is the garageband site that you could look through: http://www.apple.com/ilife/garageband/

Hope this helps

I can't find information on support anywhere on that page

Also, my built in G5 input doesn't seem to like microphones, so I can't even do 2 track while I'm searching for answers.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    whisperwhisper Posts: 735member
    Quote:

OK so I posted a thread about USB microphones a few days ago and now I'm thinking about some things for an internet radio show I'm going to be "producing."

I'm looking into getting one of these ($150):

What I need to do is have four (4) microphones hook into this thing, and then get it into some sort of program where I can raise, lower, and mute track volumes.

The show will be pre-recorded so I'm not even worried about latency, as long as the tracks are synchronized.

First off, I need to know if the above would be a good choice for what I'm doing. It uses some sort of "proprietary" protocol called "ASIO 2.0"

I'm absolutely totally new to the digital audio editing field, but I do know audio physics.

I don't need something very high fidelity, but I'd really, really like it if I had 4 track recording.

Also, can I just hook in 4 microphones to the above device? Or do I need a pre-amp?

I could get used to Audacity (which I've been tinkering with), but I really want something where I can lower the volume of specific parts of the track, instead of having to splice the tracks and then lower the volume.

Thirdly, any general conceptual explainations or any other advice you can give me would be appreciated. There are no stupid or useless pieces of advice.

Thanks.

If you get that, you'll need a pre-amp. Four of them, or at least four channels' worth. I don't think that will work with Garage Band though, because it doesn't claim to have Core Audio drivers. Also, I'd be very suspicious of anything that claims to be pro-level gear but only offers RCA jacks for the analog stuff.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Whisper

If you get that, you'll need a pre-amp. Four of them, or at least four channels' worth. I don't think that will work with Garage Band though, because it doesn't claim to have Core Audio drivers. Also, I'd be very suspicious of anything that claims to be pro-level gear but only offers RCA jacks for the analog stuff.

Thanks for responding!

What would you recommend, realising my really low budget?

I need 4 tracks, I don't mind working with pre-amps either (I have a 2 track pre-amp already, I could just buy another), but mic-level inputs would be best.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:

Thanks for responding!

What would you recommend, realising my really low budget?

I need 4 tracks, I don't mind working with pre-amps either (I have a 2 track pre-amp already, I could just buy another), but mic-level inputs would be best.

I did a quick search over at Musician's Friend and found this and this, both of which are a bit more that $150, and both of which would require you to use your existing pre-amp. I haven't used either of them, but they both have reasonably good reviews.

BTW, Garage Band '04 can only record one channel at a time. Aside from Audacity, Garage Band '05 is the cheapest multitrack recording software that I know of.

Also, be sure that whatever you get supports recording from all four channels simultaneously. Most (all?) of the USB multi-channel I/O boxes I've seen only let you use two of their inputs at a time.

Edit: You might be able to use two of these. I don't know if it would work, and I don't have time to find out right now. You could send an email to M-Audio and ask them, though.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Whisper

You might be able to use two of these. I don't know if it would work, and I don't have time to find out right now. You could send an email to M-Audio and ask them, though.

WOO!

yeah that's even better than what I looked at before! it has 2 mic track and 2 line tracks, so I can use my existing preamp and be done with it!

No idea how it's supposed to interface with a computer though, I'll e-mail them like you said.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Quote:

WOO!

yeah that's even better than what I looked at before! it has 2 mic track and 2 line tracks, so I can use my existing preamp and be done with it!

No idea how it's supposed to interface with a computer though, I'll e-mail them like you said.

No, it's got two channels that can be either line or mic, not two of each.