Got Music?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Post your various musicial goings-on here (lyrics, songs, sounds etc.) for comments and constructive critiques.....

Ill go first.

The Middle Step

A little instrumental from my forthcoming E.P.

b.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by benjamin_r

Post your various musicial goings-on here (lyrics, songs, sounds etc.) for comments and constructive critiques.....

Ill go first.

The Middle Step

b.

too bad, I tried 3 times to get a file from your link to work with NO luck.

Now I will refuse to ever listen to your music again

ps- use your iDisk or something to share
  • Reply 2 of 17
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Melodic Uplifting Trance... A Short Clip

Heavily Dutch-influenced (armin van buuren, tiesto, ferry corsten)

Come fly with me and feel free to tell me what you think

Nine Moons - Gates Of Nirvana

http://www.phatcraft.com/gates_of_nirvana.mp3

creative notes

midi keyboard, ableton live 4, garageband samples, reason 2.5, apple audio units (for the piano..! for example)
  • Reply 3 of 17
    Quote:

Ill go first.

The Middle Step

b.

interesting.... ominous yet strangely sensuous. strong production quality
  • Reply 4 of 17
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    I got a bunch. Some of it's cool, some of it's crappy, poke around on my site a bit, you might enjoy something.

about 90% of it was made entirely in Garageband, without loops.

http://www.icompositions.com/artists/Wrao/
  • Reply 5 of 17
    trick falltrick fall Posts: 1,271member
    Nice work all. I dug Port Town the most, some nice "wrong"

elements.

Shimmer Glimmer

I had fun twisting the knobs on my space echo while mixing this one live on an old MCI console that came out of Sigma sound in Philly. I'm kind of over all the stuff I've done now, but am going back into the studio in a few weeks with a new line up.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    I had an eleven piece band in Austin for quite a while, Blue Millennium. The address is www.blue2k.com (hence my user name). There are mp3 tracks for free. Style wise, our music was compared to Steely Dan. So if you are interested...
  • Reply 7 of 17
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    I was in a band for about 2 months last Fall. People moved away so it fell apart. I recorded the following track using a TASCAM Portastudio 788. It was my first time ever trying muti-track recording. We were in a 5x8 concrete basement so there's mic bleed all over the place so it's pretty raw.

It's kinda punk-ish. I played bass on this track.

http://dtibs.home.comcast.net/the_Klimb_8-29-04.mp3
  • Reply 8 of 17
    Here's my latest CD which is pure ambient minimalism:

Sounds are Hidden Inside Objects

MP3 sample clips are linked on that page.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    Some great music everybody! :0 We are a talented bunch of Mac-freaks!

Keep posting guys!

b.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    PBG4 Dude - I'm listening to your tune right now. Pretty cool, I love the rawness.

For those doing your music making with your computer I have a question suggestion. Do you ever use external effects to treat your sounds? A lot of computer made music sounds almost too good/clean to me. Sometimes its cool to process sounds with things like guitar pedals, pods or standalone effects boxes. Being a guitar player I have a lot of this stuff lying around. Its a lot of fun to run my keyboard and sampler through a distortion pedal, pod, analog delay, phaser whatever's handy really. There's something about the extra noise etc. that seems to give things more grit, weight and character than using only plug ins. I guess I'm just wondering if anyone else likes to mangle sounds as much as I do.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by trick fall

PBG4 Dude - I'm listening to your tune right now. Pretty cool, I love the rawness.

For those doing your music making with your computer I have a question suggestion. Do you ever use external effects to treat your sounds? A lot of computer made music sounds almost too good/clean to me. Sometimes its cool to process sounds with things like guitar pedals, pods or standalone effects boxes. Being a guitar player I have a lot of this stuff lying around. Its a lot of fun to run my keyboard and sampler through a distortion pedal, pod, analog delay, phaser whatever's handy really. There's something about the extra noise etc. that seems to give things more grit, weight and character than using only plug ins. I guess I'm just wondering if anyone else likes to mangle sounds as much as I do.

in fact this has been an area that i have been considering,

for example when i had a turntable i recorded some *gasp* analog, actual, vinyl scratches/spinouts instead of just pulling them off samples

also for example several months ago i picked up a roland juno 60

but for various reasons such as cost, weight, setup, cabling, 'hassle', i have not been able to get into the analog scene as much as i once wished, and also i have been chasing that 'trance sound' seeing if i can get it purely within reason2.5/abletonlive4...

( edit: for this 'trance sound' i find that i get the grittiness i want by overloading/distorting within ableton live, something happens when you distort reason/rewire-generated 'clean synth' sounds in that mystical floating-point space in ableton's algorithms... )

i have left australia for a while, and my juno60 is with my ex-housemate. hope he's giving it a shot every now and then, in any case, it's probably impressing the ladies in his bachelor pad--- the old, wow, you're like a musician?! allure

trick fall, what is your recording setup? does the analog mangling go back into digital, if so what is the digital setup, otherwise, does the analog mangling go into analog tracks, if so, what is the analog recording setup?

cheers
  • Reply 12 of 17
    Quote:

Some great music everybody! :0 We are a talented bunch of Mac-freaks!

Keep posting guys!

b.

ah yes in among discussion IKEA's approach to gender-equality, the star wars trailer, ghz and ram and the meaning of life, we also can make some cool music

*rolls eyes in a cheeky self-deprecating manner*

reason3.0 is out peoples, for those interested

http://www.propellerhead.se
  • Reply 13 of 17
    Even when I compose and mix a piece entirely within the computer, I usually run it out through a D/A and some effects and back again, at some point.

My Lexicon PCM91 is something I'd never give up, no matter how much I love some of my reverb plugins.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    Quote:

edit: for this 'trance sound' i find that i get the grittiness i want by overloading/distorting within ableton live, something happens when you distort reason/rewire-generated 'clean synth' sounds in that mystical floating-point space in ableton's algorithms... )

Nothing wrong with that! I have an older mac with a motu 2408 that gives me multiple analog ins which makes this easier to do, but lately I've just been using the analog in that comes on the G5. I also usually run my cheap yamaha synth through effects and a cheap mic pre before going in to the computer. You can get a lot of different sounds with a few cheap guitar pedals. I record into Digital Performer and don't really use the sequencer. I make my own loops on an Ensoniq ASRX and sequence them there.

I don't really have any of my electronic tracks finished yet, its pretty hard to get the time between being in a band and working full time, but if I get anything halfway mixed I'll post it.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    Another little filler instrumental off my forthcoming E.P. here

Have a weekend of recording ahead of me to track a heap of midi and backing-vocals, then its on to mixing and mastering yay!!!

b.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:

Originally posted by trick fall

Thanks man! I'm glad you liked it!

On this track, the lead guitar used the distortion built into the amp. The vocalist used a slight chorus effect built into his PA head which then went direct into my TASCAM. I went direct from my bass into my TASCAM. Everything else (2 guitars, drums) was mic'ed.s

I like analog effects better than the digital stuff too, at least from what little effects processing I've fooled around with. I'm not sure why either. I like tube preamps and amps better than solid state as well because tubes give a warmer, less sterile sound.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    extreme experimental electronic music

every artist has a completely different style

all music and art is completely free too!

www.sickmode.net