Airport Express and Printing

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Anyone else have minimal success printing through their AirPort Express? My printer is compatible, but unfortunately, whether it is able to "open printer connection," seems at best random.

Any advice, or suggestions?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    I do it all the tme from several different computers. Never had any problems.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    objra10objra10 Posts: 679member
    Okay, so tell me if I'm missing something. My printer was already installed, so I connected it to the AirPort, selected the printer from Rendezvous, and it "created printer." It worked fine, but now it's sporadic. I have to open the AirPort Admin Utility, wait for it to detect the Express, and then it prints fine. It doesn't seem like I should have to go through that much each time!
  • Reply 3 of 5
    you shouldn't ... one trip to "Printer Setup Utility" to set the AE printer as your default ... then it should work right every time.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    objra10objra10 Posts: 679member
    It's wierd. Everytime I want to print, I have to go to Airport Admin Utility and scan for the express, even though I can access web and network just fine. Otherwise it can't find the printer connection. I just upgraded firmware to 6.1.1... any other thoughts?
  • Reply 5 of 5
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:

Originally posted by OBJRA10

It's wierd. Everytime I want to print, I have to go to Airport Admin Utility and scan for the express, even though I can access web and network just fine. Otherwise it can't find the printer connection. I just upgraded firmware to 6.1.1... any other thoughts?

Only to reiterate setting the printer that's connected to Airport Express as the default. (In the Printer Setup Utility window, click that printer, then click "make default." The name of that printer should then be in bold type.)

Strange problem. Perhaps you should download a fresh driver from the printer manufacturer's website. That helped me with my Epson printer when I first got my Express, but at that time I couldn't get it to print AT ALL.