Microsoft to kill MSN for the Mac on May 31st

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Quote:

Microsoft to kill MSN for the Mac

Published: March 11, 2005, 1:44 PM PST

By Ina Fried

Staff Writer, CNET News.com

Microsoft plans to all but end its stint as an Internet service provider to Mac users, discontinuing its MSN for Mac OS X software, CNET News.com has learned.

The company plans to notify customers this month and discontinue the service as of May 31, a Microsoft representative said in an e-mail. Microsoft announced plans to get into the market in 2002 and began offering the service in the United States the following year.

"Beginning May 31, Microsoft will make changes and no longer support the MSN for Mac OS X Internet Software client," the representative said. A Microsoft representative declined to say how many people subscribe to MSN for the Mac, but said it is "a small number."

Under a deal from years ago with Qwest, Microsoft is required to offer Internet access to Mac users. Therefore, customers will still be able to buy $22-a-month Internet access from Microsoft. However, the company will not offer any local software and customers will have to log on using the Mac's built-in Internet Connect dialer.

"Microsoft will be in regular communication with its MSN for Mac customers to ensure options are clearly communicated and the transition is as smooth as possible," the company said.

The company will also still allow those with their own Internet access to pay for a collection of browser-based MyMSN services, including 2GB of Hotmail storage, Encarta Premium and Money Plus. In theory, customers can continue to pay Microsoft between $10 and $27 a month for that option.

MSN has broadly shifted much of its attention away from its dial-up Internet access business and into Internet services and content that can be accessed via any Internet connection, and high-speed broadband in particular.

Following Apple's introduction of the Safari browser, Microsoft discontinued its Internet Explorer browser for the Mac, but the company continues to make other products for the Mac, most notably a Mac version of Office. The company reiterated on Friday that it is not abandoning the Mac.

"Microsoft's Mac BU remains committed to the Mac platform and its customers," Microsoft said, noting recent updates to Office and the introduction of a new version of MSN Messenger for Mac.

MSN first got in the Mac business when it agreed to take over dial-up and high-speed Internet access for customers of Qwest. Initially the company offered only a Mac OS 9-compatible dialer program for Qwest customers, but later decided to expand the service and pitch it broadly to Mac users in the United States.

Hey everyone,

As much as I hate MSN, every single person I know uses Messenger as their online chat program. So this kind of sucks that Messenger won't be developed anymore. I bet the current version won't work under 10.4 too. So, my question to all of you is: What is your favourite alternative to MSN Messenger?

P. S. I'm sorry if this has been discussed already, I looked around and I didn't see a thread. Although, I haven't had my coffee yet today so it may have been staring me in the face.

-Y

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    ybotybot Posts: 329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ybot

Hey everyone,

As much as I hate MSN, every single person I know uses Messenger as their online chat program. So this kind of sucks that Messenger won't be developed anymore. I bet the current version won't work under 10.4 too. So, my question to all of you is: What is your favourite alternative to MSN Messenger?

P. S. I'm sorry if this has been discussed already, I looked around and I didn't see a thread. Although, I haven't had my coffee yet today so it may have been staring me in the face.

-Y

Wow, I'm SO dumb! They're killing MSN *internet* not Messenger. Thank god!

See, I do need my coffee. Sorry about that.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    i dont know anyone who doesnt use AIM...aol instant messanger
  • Reply 3 of 10
    ibook911ibook911 Posts: 607member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alliancep.s.i

I don't know anyone who uses AIM. It seems every group of friends seem to have their own thing. Oh, and then I use Yahoo Messager, for only one friend. haha. Most of my friends use MSN Messenger.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by alliancep.s.i

I know! Seriously, every person who isn't a friend of mine uses AIM but if you know me, then you use MSN Messenger. I should try to convert everyone to the AIM world.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    cam'roncam'ron Posts: 503member
    It's only Americans who use aol. I've never met a person who uses it, only people on here. I'm trying to convert everyone I know from MSN to Skype. Skype is the way of the future! IM and you can call people.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    I use AdiumX for MSN, Yahoo! and whatever else there is...
  • Reply 7 of 10
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    I used to be a fan of AIM, but this artical is makeing me think...
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Quote:

"AOL has posted new terms of service for AIM, that include the right for AOL to use anything and everything you send through AIM in any way they see fit, without informing you. A sample passage: '...by posting Content on an AIM Product, you grant AOL, its parent, affiliates, subsidiaries, assigns, agents and licensees the irrevocable, perpetual, worldwide right to reproduce, display, perform, distribute, adapt and promote this Content in any medium. You waive any right to privacy.'"

HOLY CRAP. That's so insane. That settles it. I'll be sticking with MSN. Although I downloaded Skype and it does look VERY impressive!
  • Reply 9 of 10
    I second the use of Adium. Found it about a month or so ago, never looked back.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    there was MSN internet for Mac?

Go Skype. Latest beta finally has centralized buddy lists. Soon to come: Video conferencing

The audio quality is best I've heard so far. Great stuff