Mac OS X 10.4 build 8A414 surfaces

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Article removed at the request of Apple Legal.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 127
    macnut222macnut222 Posts: 100member
    Woo Hoo!!!! I can't wait.
  • Reply 2 of 127
    j@ffaj@ffa Posts: 56member
    So, anyone here tried it? If you're under, NDA, well...

Hypothetically, were you to have the latest beta build of Tiger, do you believe it would be near completion?

• Reply 3 of 127
    Quote:

Originally posted by AppleInsider

iDisk synching does not work

Oh good, so it's just like Panther.

Seriously, has anyone ever gotten iDisk syncing to work? I tried it for a few weeks and gave up.
  • Reply 4 of 127
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bubba451

Seriously, has anyone ever gotten iDisk syncing to work? I tried it for a few weeks and gave up.

The iDisk syncing in Panther is making a local copy of the iDisk.

Tiger's syncing that the article refers to is completely different - see the publicly available description at Apple's Tiger pages:

http://www.apple.com/macosx/tiger/sync.html
  • Reply 5 of 127
    iDisk syncing used to work fine for me, but lately it has been off and on. So I turn off auto-syncing to manual, but it just ignores me everytime and resets itself back to auto-sync.
  • Reply 6 of 127
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    Quote:

The most striking issue appears to affect iDisk synching. "iDisk synching does not work,"

I can live without that, Apple should release it now.
  • Reply 7 of 127
    Quote:

Originally posted by lundy

The iDisk syncing in Panther is making a local copy of the iDisk.

Tiger's syncing that the article refers to is completely different - see the publicly available description at Apple's Tiger pages:

http://www.apple.com/macosx/tiger/sync.html

Ah, so it doesn't work in a completely new way!
  • Reply 8 of 127
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    I don't understand this. So many people I know say that it just isn't ready.

Even with the 26th anniverery coming up I can't see what the rush is. If it comes out at the dev conference, so what?

Everyone already EXPECTS it to come out then anyway. If they could fix more bugs and add that one feature that they wanted to but couldn't, due to this April date, then they could.

Would anyone here want this to come out now if it means another nine, or even more, updates over the next eighteen months or so, rather than perhaps six? Version 10.4.1 by June. That's what will happen. I rather it just came out then, and the first update came out in October.

Business people don't like all of these updates either. We all know that they break lots of things
  • Reply 9 of 127
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    biz people don't upgrade until they have to.

Apple want's to deliver Tiger because they have a lot of apps coming that require Tiger. Might as well get it out there and then fix the bugs as they come. At least Apple is shipping. This team executes far better than back in the dreary days of waiting for Copeland.
  • Reply 10 of 127
    ishawnishawn Posts: 364member
    Quote:

... before it is sent to manufacturing...

Uh... just curious... what is the manufacturing process of software?
  • Reply 11 of 127
    zenatekzenatek Posts: 203member
    Disc Burn and Packaging.
  • Reply 12 of 127
    ishawnishawn Posts: 364member
    Quote:

Originally posted by zenatek

Disc Burn and Packaging.

So for the Tiger devs already:

What do they do? Burn you a copy on a max DVDR until packaging?
  • Reply 13 of 127
    zenatekzenatek Posts: 203member
    Most likely although I dont know. I doubt there doing actual Burns like a product for retail sales. It could also be available for download.
  • Reply 14 of 127
    xanaduxanadu Posts: 9member
    Quote:

Originally posted by zenatek

Disc Burn and Packaging.

If I recall correctly the disks are just pressed. Burning is far too time consuming. It's easier to just press the disc. After all a CD is just a high-tech version of a record.It reads indentations (as varying wavelengths) as binary on and offs.

It shouldn't take very long. After all Panther and Jaguar's gold master builds were seeded about two weeks from launch.
  • Reply 15 of 127
    webmailwebmail Posts: 639member
    Who are "so many people"? Probably people who don't have access to actual copies of the latest builds or did something stupid like install a beta overtop of their current OS.

From where I sit 393 was nearly perfect. I'm getting the lastest download as we speak i'll install it tonight.

Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

Even with the 26th anniverery coming up I can't see what the rush is. If it comes out at the dev conference, so what?

Everyone already EXPECTS it to come out then anyway. If they could fix more bugs and add that one feature that they wanted to but couldn't, due to this April date, then they could.

Would anyone here want this to come out now if it means another nine, or even more, updates over the next eighteen months or so, rather than perhaps six? Version 10.4.1 by June. That's what will happen. I rather it just came out then, and the first update came out in October.

Business people don't like all of these updates either. We all know that they break lots of things

• Reply 16 of 127
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iShawn

So for the Tiger devs already:

What do they do? Burn you a copy on a max DVDR until packaging?

We burn our own. Or wait for the DVD in the mail.
  • Reply 17 of 127
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by webmail

Who are "so many people"? Probably people who don't have access to actual copies of the latest builds or did something stupid like install a beta overtop of their current OS.

From where I sit 393 was nearly perfect. I'm getting the lastest download as we speak i'll install it tonight.

People I know who have been beta testing it as you say you are doing. Also Other places that I've been reading info on this have said that there still seem to be problems. Nothing really major, but enough.

If you've been testing it, can you say that it's in such good shape that it couldn't benefit from the extra two months? You've tested every function and feature? You have scanners, digital cameras, DVD writers, CRT and LCD monitors? You have every current video card, audio card, firewire and USB card? CAD/CAM, graphics, photo, publishing, spreadsheets, and databases like Oracle, Sybase, etc.? You have wired networking at all speeds, and wireless, with all the compatible cards? Firewire, USB, and Ethernet printers? Laser, and ink? Vinyl letter cutting machines? Firewire and USB drives? SCSI, iSCSI, P-ATA and S-ATA internal drives and all the cards for them, including Raid? Do I really have to go on? Do you think that as a beta tester you have tested even a small fraction of what can go wrong? I doubt it. Nearly perfect? When has Apple ever come out with a new version of X that was nearly perfect? I can't remember any. Can you? They can't even come out with an update that's nearly perfect. And I have 4 Macs at home, and had (just retired ) over 15 in my business. So I know.

(Directed to the moderator).

As for the "business people upgrade when they have to" bit. They have to when a software company upgrades their product with features they have been waiting for, and say that it only works with the new OS. In certain fields there is competitive pressure. It's not as simple as you think. When I read interviews in ComputerWorld or Infoworld, that is one of the things I see from IT people and large business executives. If you think that they can sit out a major upgrade, then you are not familiar with the business world. They can sit out an Office upgrade, but an OS upgrade is another thing entirely. There are major bits in the OS that need implementing on a constant basis. Exchange server compatibility is one of the most important of those. If it's in there, business with mixed networks will want to upgrade immediately. But if it's buggy, and that could have been fixed by two more months of testing... The truth is that they don't give a hoot about Apple's 26th anniversary. They want a stable product. Period. Apple has more to prove than MS. Apple is trying to get back into the enterprise. It's a very long road for them to walk as it is. I would bet if you asked any of them that they would all say that Apple should wait.

Before I get flamed, I am a big promoter for Apple. Here in the NYC school system, where we have almost 1,200 schools, I'm on technology committees as an unpaid advisor. I fight for Apple every step of the way. That's why I get annoyed when they want to introduce something as integral to their business as this is simply to have a big show on their anniversary. Foolish.
  • Reply 18 of 127
    Quote:

Apple said 1H2005

WWDC June 6-10 is 1H2005
  • Reply 19 of 127
    zenarcadezenarcade Posts: 126member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bubba451

Depends on what you are meaning.

I sync my two computers every one hour. It is excellent when I usually code on my PowerBook and my son drops by to play games. I then go over to my G4 Cube and the code is there. It is extremly cool.

Or when I bookmark webpages on my pBook and if I need to ( gets kicked ) use the G4 Cube, the bookmarks are all there.

None of my pc friends or family have seen anything like this.

I can´t live without iSync

Zon
  • Reply 20 of 127
    webmailwebmail Posts: 639member
    I've tested everything. E-V-E-R-Y-T-T-H-I-N-G. Nearly everything. seriously , no joke. Apple has done the same.

Quote:

People I know who have been beta testing it as you say you are doing. Also Other places that I've been reading info on this have said that there still seem to be problems. Nothing really major, but enough.

If you've been testing it, can you say that it's in such good shape that it couldn't benefit from the extra two months? You've tested every function and feature? You have scanners, digital cameras, DVD writers, CRT and LCD monitors? You have every current video card, audio card, firewire and USB card? CAD/CAM, graphics, photo, publishing, spreadsheets, and databases like Oracle, Sybase, etc.? You have wired networking at all speeds, and wireless, with all the compatible cards? Firewire, USB, and Ethernet printers? Laser, and ink? Vinyl letter cutting machines? Firewire and USB drives? SCSI, iSCSI, P-ATA and S-ATA internal drives and all the cards for them, including Raid? Do I really have to go on? Do you think that as a beta tester you have tested even a small fraction of what can go wrong? I doubt it. Nearly perfect? When has Apple ever come out with a new version of X that was nearly perfect? I can't remember any. Can you? They can't even come out with an update that's nearly perfect. And I have 4 Macs at home, and had (just retired ) over 15 in my business. So I know.

(Directed to the moderator).

As for the "business people upgrade when they have to" bit. They have to when a software company upgrades their product with features they have been waiting for, and say that it only works with the new OS. In certain fields there is competitive pressure. It's not as simple as you think. When I read interviews in ComputerWorld or Infoworld, that is one of the things I see from IT people and large business executives. If you think that they can sit out a major upgrade, then you are not familiar with the business world. They can sit out an Office upgrade, but an OS upgrade is another thing entirely. There are major bits in the OS that need implementing on a constant basis. Exchange server compatibility is one of the most important of those. If it's in there, business with mixed networks will want to upgrade immediately. But if it's buggy, and that could have been fixed by two more months of testing... The truth is that they don't give a hoot about Apple's 26th anniversary. They want a stable product. Period. Apple has more to prove than MS. Apple is trying to get back into the enterprise. It's a very long road for them to walk as it is. I would bet if you asked any of them that they would all say that Apple should wait.

Before I get flamed, I am a big promoter for Apple. Here in the NYC school system, where we have almost 1,200 schools, I'm on technology committees as an unpaid advisor. I fight for Apple every step of the way. That's why I get annoyed when they want to introduce something as integral to their business as this is simply to have a big show on their anniversary. Foolish.