Future iBook Updates

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
There haven't been many iBook threads for a while so I thought I'd start a general one. I will probably be looking for a new iBook in the summer after 10.4 comes out, so I can get that and iLife 05, so what are we likely to see in a new iBook range, and when are we likely to see it?

My G4 iBook looks pretty much the same as my G3 iBook, albeit with a classier looking keyboard, so I'm a bit bored of it. What are the chances of a new look sometime this year? I'm crossing fingers and toes for something a little different.

Also, whilst I don't expect G5s in iBooks this year, what does everyone else think? And if there won't be G5s, what will the G4 specs be like? Are we likely to see Bluetooth, better graphics cards, 512Mb RAM? (The latter seem to be a certainty, and hopefully we will get a better graphics card for core image support).

My money would be on 512MB RAM in all models, bluetooth installed, upgrade graphics and processors starting from 1.33GHz or 1.5GHz. Comments?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 68
    g_warreng_warren Posts: 713member
    I should have also mentioned - should we expect changes in screens? I am happy with the size of my 12in screen as it keeps the size of the laptop down, but I can hardly see it when it is sunny at my desk, and I'd have no hope at all outside. Should we expect an improvement on this? The Sony X-Black screens look fantastic.
  • Reply 2 of 68
    i am also wondering what we can expect from the iBook because i too plan on buying one after or shortly after the release of tiger. (or a powerbook)
  • Reply 3 of 68
    Quote:

Originally posted by SteveGTA

i am also wondering what we can expect from the iBook because i too plan on buying one after or shortly after the release of tiger. (or a powerbook)

Going by the product cycle, and April update does seem likely, possibly timed by Tiger. Problem is, with speeds pretty low in the powerbooks, there is not much room for the iBooks to grow. I personally would be more interested in an October update which will hopefully be more significant - if there is an April update, I can't see it being more than minor tweaks, eg Bluetooth, new graphics card.
  • Reply 4 of 68
    I'm waiting for Tiger before getting that iBook too. And if Apple were to increase the RAM to 512M, i wouldn't even care if there's a new iBook release or not.

Or do I? Sigh, I've been so confused recently.
  • Reply 5 of 68
    Quote:

Originally posted by zythums

I've been so confused recently.

amen to that lol
  • Reply 6 of 68
    One thing I'd really like to see, but won't be holding my breath for, is a USB port on the right side of the iBook, even on the 12in model. Anyone who has ever used a mouse with an iBook will know that it makes no sense to have the ports on the left when most of the population is right handed - the cable has to go all the way round the back, or over the keyboard, so it becomes either too short, or gets in the way.
  • Reply 7 of 68
    Wow, I hadn't realized the iBook's USB ports are on the left side. I have a PowerBook G4 (Titanium) and it kinda annoys me that the USB ports are on the back but I think that's better than having them on the left side!

Thankfully, once Bluetooth is included with the machine this won't matter anymore if you're willing to get a BT mouse.
  • Reply 8 of 68
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    could we dream about a 10 inch sub notebook model?
  • Reply 9 of 68
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kishan

of course you can.
  • Reply 10 of 68
    mikefmikef Posts: 698member
    I guess it's probably more likely a feature of a new PowerBook, but I'd like to see a 1280x800 12" or 13" widescreen... love my 12" iBook now but I'd upgrade for a new brighter widescreen.
  • Reply 11 of 68
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    I've got a 500 TiBook and would like to replace it with a 1.5GHz 14". For my eyes the 12" is too small. Don't care about the installed RAM because I will be adding more anyway. I hope we'll see it in April...
  • Reply 12 of 68
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    minor tweaks and usual bumps and

some more choices in color, look at the

iPod U2 edition. iBook black maybe.
  • Reply 13 of 68
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kishan

NO! See a therapist...
  • Reply 14 of 68
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

NO! See a therapist...

Subnotes are popular in Japan but are expensive. They would not be in the iBook line, but in the Powerbook line, if Apple ever gets around to making one.

Your best hope is for Apple to become so hugely popular that they decide to license Mac OS X to IBM. IBM would then make the subnote (they have made them in the past).
  • Reply 15 of 68
    chagichagi Posts: 284member
    I personally think that displays are an issue for both iBooks and Powerbooks, though it's a bigger one for the former.

I was browsing through laptops today at the campus bookstore, and found the 12" iBook to be relatively dim (even at full brightness), the 15" Powerbook was significantly better, and the 15" Widescreen Sony laptop's display absolutely destroyed the Powerbook's.
  • Reply 16 of 68
    Quote:

Originally posted by G_Warren

One thing I'd really like to see, but won't be holding my breath for, is a USB port on the right side of the iBook, even on the 12in model. Anyone who has ever used a mouse with an iBook will know that it makes no sense to have the ports on the left when most of the population is right handed - the cable has to go all the way round the back, or over the keyboard, so it becomes either too short, or gets in the way.

I was under the impression the ports were on the left side precisely because the majority of people are right handed. Maybe I'm wrong, but isn't the idea to keep the right hand free so you can write and take notes etc... therefor being more productive due to less time, however little, switching things around on a cluttered desk? Right handers, ideally, use the mouse in the left hand and vice versa? After a few hours on the left I was equally as efficient with both hands on the mouse, but I still had my most dexterous hand with regard to typing and writing free.
  • Reply 17 of 68
    You called it, dude - righties use the mouse left handed. That's why it's so hard to find a left-handed mouse at Best Buy.
  • Reply 18 of 68
    Yay! iBooks have finally showed up in the refurb store. New iBooks are a-comin'!
  • Reply 19 of 68
    Am I the only right handed person who only ever uses the mouse with my right hand?!

Hope you are right about the updates cubist, it certainly makes sense that they are a few weeks away. Fingers crossed there will be an update soonish, leaving time for another update in October. I won't have the cash to buy until July/August so I think I'll hold off for the October(ish) update which iBooks have had in the past few years.
  • Reply 20 of 68
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chagi

I personally think that displays are an issue for both iBooks and Powerbooks, though it's a bigger one for the former.

I was browsing through laptops today at the campus bookstore, and found the 12" iBook to be relatively dim (even at full brightness), the 15" Powerbook was significantly better, and the 15" Widescreen Sony laptop's display absolutely destroyed the Powerbook's.

Speaking of Sony laptops... those XBRITE screens are B-E-A-utiful! I'd love to see that on a Mac. Could Apple use them? Anyone know if they are they patented or something?