Okay all you tech geeks, be prepared to spank your monkeys

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
First my current cable connection rates as this..

2005-03-16 20:21:06 EST: 4374 / 358

Your download speed : 4479277 bps, or 4374 kbps.

A 546.7 KB/sec transfer rate.

Your upload speed : 366804 bps, or 358 kbps.

This is not to bad in my book. However today I received the letter for which I had been waiting. The letter that let me know that the FIBER OPTIC outside my house has been finished and is now available.

The pricing plan is $44.95 for 15 Mbps download and 2 Mbps upload speed.

Nick

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    Free.fr here in France

29.95eur (39usd) for ADSL2+ @ up to 20mbit download and about 2+mbit up. All unlimited.

That also includes TV via DSL (works a peach) and free calling within France (unlimited, to any fixed number or Free user) and dirt cheap to cell phones. And about 2 cents per minute to just about anywhere in the world. The DSL modem we get is free and has the SCART, Tel jack, WiFi, Enet, and USB ports.

Sorry to burst yer bubble
  • Reply 2 of 35
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

Free.fr here in France

29.95eur (39usd) for ADSL2+ @ up to 20mbit download and about 2+mbit up. All unlimited.

That also includes TV via DSL (works a peach) and free calling within France (unlimited, to any fixed number or Free user) and dirt cheap to cell phones. And about 2 cents per minute to just about anywhere in the world. The DSL modem we get is free and has the SCART, Tel jack, WiFi, Enet, and USB ports.

Sorry to burst yer bubble

plus $100 a year in extra taxes you pay to subsidize those rates.. or is that canada
  • Reply 3 of 35
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    "you had me at 15mbps download"

I'm spankin' I'm spankin'

Damn how long is it going to take for Verizon to lay Fiber out here in Washington. Dammit we love our broadband too!
  • Reply 4 of 35
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by trumptman

This is not to bad in my book. However today I received the letter for which I had been waiting. The letter that let me know that the FIBER OPTIC outside my house has been finished and is now available.

Nick

i just wet myself \
  • Reply 5 of 35
    Quote:

Nick

dude, come on, this was my last pair of clean pants...
  • Reply 6 of 35
    I downgraded to pseudo broadband to save an extra 30 bucks a month. 25KB/10KBps. I regret it every day. But I'm not spending anymore nerd related money until the revision B iMac and Tiger are out.
  • Reply 7 of 35
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    I downgraded from Comcast to SBC DSL as well. I used to have 4 Mb/s, now it goes up to 1.7 Mb/s according to a bandwidth site. I don't really mind the reduction in speed as I don't really use it that intensively; the ocassional Direct Connect download od some obscure e-book, or some torrents. To put it mildly, I don't see any difference in my day to day usage, and I'm quite happy.

But a better connection [at the same, or slightly higher price] would be welcome. Paying $100-150 dollars for a connection is not my top priority now.
  • Reply 8 of 35
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    And Pac Bell installed fiber optics in our area like 5 years ago and never turned it on.

I'll be in my bunk. - Jayne Cobb
  • Reply 9 of 35
    arnelarnel Posts: 103member
    I'm with Novus, a fiber optic provider in Vancouver which gives a 10Mbps bidirectional service for just $37.50 (Canadian dollars, about $31 US) a month.

That's not much more than I used to pay for dialup in the UK!!!

Neil.

a.k.a. Arnel
  • Reply 10 of 35
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Nick

Which Is why I will wait for a bunch of neighbors to get it, then ditch cable and buy a huge wifi antenna
  • Reply 11 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by slughead

plus $100 a year in extra taxes you pay to subsidize those rates.. or is that canada

taxes?

Actually, its 29.95 vat included.

And since 6 months you can also tell your telecom operator to go stuff it. So, I dont even need to have France Telecom to pay as well. Until recently you first had to get a contract from FT then you could get any DSL provider you want. But you also had to pay the basic FT bill as well as your DSL bill.

I pay 29.95 and that's it. Finito. Basta.
  • Reply 12 of 35
    forgot to add: its a privately held company. No gov subsidies.

They just posted a 50 million euro profit the other day as a matter of fact. From 490million in revenues.

Not too damn shabby
  • Reply 13 of 35
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

Which Is why I will wait for a bunch of neighbors to get it, then ditch cable and buy a huge wifi antenna

At range, you're lucky to get 1Mbps aggregate from a WiFi antenna. I know this, because I have a massive 2.4GHz Dipole at my house and an amp that takes me to the legal limits of ISM. . .
  • Reply 14 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

Without wanting to support the view that Europe is being suffocated by taxes (which we all know are immoral and evil unless used to fund wars of convenience) I would be highly surprised if any large company (in the US or EU) could claim to not be recieving any government subsidies. And by that I mean direct cash from the government, not just some wooly and difficult to quantify benefit of being part of a correctly functioning modern democracy.

I'm doubly doubtful in the case of telecommunications industry with its network effects, natural monopolies and key role in underpinning society and the economy that make it a perfect fit for regulation/subsidy in well run countries.
  • Reply 15 of 35
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    strange, but here in the UK i'm on 256kbit halfband DSL and for the most part in fairly happy with the speed. I mean, what do you guys do with 10Mb+ connections?

I'm not downloading P2P music or Pr0n. Im quite happy waiting a few minutes for the occasional iTunes d/l, actually, I havn't ever come across anything on the net where I thought 'gee I wish my connection was 20 times faster'
  • Reply 16 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

They just posted a 50 million euro profit the other day as a matter of fact. From 490million in revenues.

Not too damn shabby

Yeah, just like airbus, right?
  • Reply 17 of 35
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Originally posted by slughead

Yeah, just like airbus, right?

What's up with the 'Oh you get subsidies so you suck...' attitude?

Not every freakin' company gets subsidies in Europe. Surely not smaller ones like this particular telecomm company. Airbus is a giant, and it did get subsidies because it is a very strategic player.

Farmers in the US get large subsidies. They too must suck now?
  • Reply 18 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

What's up with the 'Oh you get subsidies so you suck...' attitude?

Not every freakin' company gets subsidies in Europe. Surely not smaller ones like this particular telecomm company. Airbus is a giant, and it did get subsidies because it is a very strategic player.

Farmers in the US get large subsidies. They too must suck now?

I never said subsidies make you suck... they do, but I didn't say that.

I was just saying you can't say "I only pay $30/mo for XYZ" and compare it to an unsubsidized market, and expect it to be 1) fair 2) accurate and 3) comparable.

I know about the US' subsidies, and the US does suck. I hate direct subsidies.

Now if you'll excuse me I'll just sit in my tower now.

We need to get back on topic here (what topic?) or this will get moved to a forum I don't dare dwell.
  • Reply 19 of 35
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    I normally get @ 10 mbit up AND down. In our quarter we build a network between all 2000 flats and rent a muthafucker line in we share. 100mbit network locally. We pay $20/month. We are planning to extend the service to include strategic areas in our quarter (like a large park we have just by the harbour) via WiFi to share the joy with our visitors from other parts of the town :-)

The only subsidized industry here is farming, which is the worst of all industries to protect because of the implication on third world countries. Even formerly state owned industries like the largest telecom company is competing on equal terms with outside players and we have one of the best and cheapest telecom industries in the world (like three mobile networks that each covers 98+% of the danish land mass).

BTW when is USPS going to get privatized? That must be one huge zit on your marked economic paradise.
  • Reply 20 of 35
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

BTW when is USPS going to get privatized? That must be one huge zit on your marked economic paradise.

"neither rain nor sleet nor snow..."

or something like that

have you seen ThePostman? (Kevin Costner, late90s I think)

that may give you clues on why USPS won't be privatised for a long long long time... or it may just be a bad movie, i don't know, i haven't watched it