Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TednDi

and you're next!!

http://labs.google.com/googlex/

very very cool

I'm wondering actually... is Google the new Apple?

Apple's been pretty "Microsoft-ish" in the past few years and not getting much better.

MS is just dead and buried. Any attempt at being cool is just not gonna happen.

Google is just... cool
  • Reply 2 of 26
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    back story...

IMHO he should have sent a copy of this to google legal first....

++++++++

Tuesday, March 15, 2005

_

Google goes X

Today is an amazing day: A small idea - a fun late-night coding jaunt to help me learn Javascript & DHTML - has just launched on Google Labs. I never expected it to make it as far as it has when I wrote it a month ago, especially since my "real" job is working on Keyhole, where I'm having the time of my life taking our cool 3D mapping application and putting the power of Google behind it. It's fulfilling to have the opportunity to reach the audience we always dreamed of when we started Keyhole five years ago, and that by itself is absolute coolness.

And now there's Google X, which came about because I wanted a quick fun way to access all of Google's services. I gave it to a few friends in the company, who gave it to their friends, some posted it on their blogs, others sent it around on mailing lists, and it eventually made its way to Marissa Mayer, who liked it enough to say, when do you want to put it up on Labs? So after some spit and polish from some enthusiastic Googlers and the keen eye of the UI team, Google X is here. I hope all of you enjoy it - especially Mac users, who I'm sure will appreciate its lineage.

Chikai Ohazama

Software Engineer
  • Reply 3 of 26
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

and you're next!!

No way! Mouse-overs have been arround since the mid-90s, Apple just implemented it on the desktop level.
  • Reply 4 of 26
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

I'm wondering actually... is Google the new Apple?

Er, Google is cooler than Apple because they've created a cute little homage to the coolness of Apple's operating system?

This is kind of thing is very far from lawsuit territory. It's sweet.
  • Reply 5 of 26
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Apple will sue any and everyone. Do not be fooled.
  • Reply 6 of 26
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Why is everyone posting on teh intraweb either paranoid or belligerent?
  • Reply 7 of 26
    I'm only belligerent to the paranoid....

But apple has been quite prolific with the iPoenas as of late...

also, simply because one is paranoid doesn't mean that someone isn't out to get him/her

• Reply 8 of 26
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

Apple's been pretty "Microsoft-ish" in the past few years and not getting much better.

?????

Please clarify
  • Reply 9 of 26
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

?????

Please clarify

very closed, very anal, unwilling to listen to customers often, goes off and does "its own thing" generally pissing off a lot of people, etc.

I'm just losing a little faith in Apple lately, thats all.

I've been a fervent Apple supporter since just about forever but especially because of its "under dog" status. That status is kinda fading and suddenly I'm getting more critical of it. Nothing compared to MS, but still, Apple's getting a little cocky.
  • Reply 10 of 26
    Quote:

"The requested URL was not found on this server."
  • Reply 11 of 26
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mattjohndrow

"The requested URL was not found on this server."

http://news.com.com/Googles+X+files+...l?tag=nefd.top
  • Reply 13 of 26
    Roses are Red Apple Legal is Swift

They whip up ipoenas and cease and desist!

nuff said....

• Reply 14 of 26
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

http://news.com.com/Googles+X+files+...l?tag=nefd.top

The similar Dock feature on the Mac exists at the bottom of the screen, allowing a user to quickly get to frequently used programs, documents and Web sites...

Apple has sought patent protection for the "Genie Effect" used in the Dock.

I was under the impression that the genie effect only referred to one of the two standard 'minimize' animations. Magnification is something else entirely.

--B
  • Reply 15 of 26
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    Quote:

Roses are Red Apple Legal is Swift

They whip up ipoenas and cease and desist!

nuff said....

Apple had really little choice in this matter. They cannot let anyone use ideas from their GUI. If they let Google use it, then that opens the door for everyone else.

By the way ... google USED to be a cool company, not anymore. That poem was retarded and quite bizarre to say the least. i don't know what they were up to, but it was in no way in Apple's best interest.
  • Reply 16 of 26
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

very closed, very anal, unwilling to listen to customers often, goes off and does "its own thing" generally pissing off a lot of people, etc.

I'm just losing a little faith in Apple lately, thats all.

I've been a fervent Apple supporter since just about forever but especially because of its "under dog" status. That status is kinda fading and suddenly I'm getting more critical of it. Nothing compared to MS, but still, Apple's getting a little cocky.

Examples please.
  • Reply 17 of 26
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

?????

Please clarify

The think secret lawsuit alone is why I've boycotted Apple until 2006.

Not too hard for me considering I already have a G5.. but I'll teach 'em good!
  • Reply 18 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by the cool gut

Apple had really little choice in this matter. They cannot let anyone use ideas from their GUI. If they let Google use it, then that opens the door for everyone else.

By the way ... google USED to be a cool company, not anymore. That poem was retarded and quite bizarre to say the least. i don't know what they were up to, but it was in no way in Apple's best interest.

LOL! Cool gut sometimes I think you're pulling our legs.

Apple hasn't even SAID they stopped Google X and already "GOOGLE SUCKS! APPLE HAD NO CHOICE! APPLE HAS BEEN VICTIMIZED!"

Either you've been snorting powdered kool-aid or you're putting us on.
  • Reply 19 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by slughead

LOL! Cool gut sometimes I think you're pulling our legs.

Hey, I'm not the one boycotting Apple LOL!

Apple hasn't even SAID they stopped Google X and already

Please ..... they had fucking POETRY on that page ... you think THEY pulled it down? After 17 hours?!??

"GOOGLE SUCKS!

I didn't say they suck, they have some kick ass technology. I said they weren't cool anymore .... like for firing that employee for keeping a blog. Hmmm, why is it your boycotting Apple again? Guess your not gonna use Google anymore either, huh?

APPLE HAD NO CHOICE! APPLE HAS BEEN VICTIMIZED!"

They didn't - just like MS had to sue poor Mike Rowe. It's sad, but that's what you have to do these days to protect your shit.

Everyone knows how protective Apple is of Aqua.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/03...les_disappear/

• Reply 20 of 26
    Quote:

Please ..... they had fucking POETRY on that page ... you think THEY pulled it down? After 17 hours?!??

From YOUR link:

Google's latest experiment had disappeared by mid-afternoon, Wednesday. Neither Apple nor Google offered any comment why the page had been pulled. Ohazama had described it as "a fun late-night coding jaunt to help me learn Javascript and DHTML."

Quote:

I didn't say they suck, they have some kick ass technology. I said they weren't cool anymore .... like for firing that employee for keeping a blog. Hmmm, why is it your boycotting Apple again? Guess your not gonna use Google anymore either, huh?

This trade secrets law Apple has manipulated literally makes some things you say illegal, period. When you fire someone for saying "YUR CUMPENY SUX OMG!," it's just you expressing your right to fire dumbasses. Obviously I'm OK with the latter, and not the former.

Wait a minute... how come the reverse is true for you? How come it's OK for Apple to sue some guy and not OK for Google to fire one of its employees?