Who makes the best DVD±RW discs?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I want to buy some blank DVDs to start making back-ups of my data. My question is, who makes the highest quality ones? We have TDK blank CD-R's because I kept hearing they are one of the best in blank media. What about for blank DVD's?

Also, should I get blank DVD-RW's or DVD+RW's? Is there a difference? Does one work better with Macs or DVD players in general? Is one higher quality?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    If you want a DVD to play in a DVD player rather than on a computer I would use DVD-R's I use a lot and only get trouble with +R's for some reason (over a very wide range of machines).

Generally I use Datawrite. They're not expensive and I have never had a coaster (unless it was something I screwed up - never the DVD).

I am not sure that the 'get what you pay for' maxim really works out with discs. I don't think the production costs involved in resetting everything with every different brand coming of the line would be warranted most of the time and I guess a lot of superficially different discs are actually the same.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    Apple branded discs are good,as are...

Verbatim..TDK..Maxell..Pioneer..TayioYuden...

Check here

Go with DVD-R/RW... better compatibility with DVD players etc.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MiMac

Apple branded discs are good,as are...

Verbatim..TDK..Maxell..Pioneer..TayioYuden...

Check here

Go with DVD-R/RW... better compatibility with DVD players etc.

all good points, including the link.

at least it explains a bit why i can't play CowboyBebop The Movie DVD in my iBook g4 \

but my dad's standalone Sony DVD player can handle a lot of discs thrown at it...
  • Reply 4 of 5
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I've been very happy with TDK's disks. I use their DVD-Rs for my Powerbook and DVD+Rs for my set-top Philips DVD recorder, and have never had a single problem (the +R TDKs even played fine in an XBox, which kind of surprised me). Just my personal experience.

STAY AWAY FROM MEMOREX. I've always been disappointed with them. If Sony's blank DVDs are anything like their blank CDs I'd stay away from them as well.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    I was pretty wary of the spindle of "FUJIFILM" dvd-rs I got for christmas, but I haven't had a problem yet.

Forget about Fuji zips though.. jesus