Gmail+mail.app

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Well, I got my Mac Mini today, WOW i love this thing!

My only problem is that I cannot get mail.app to accept the gmail info, the same info worked fine in entourage, I cannot get into mail to get a full option panel to enable ssl connections.

Also, how do I see current RAM usage?

A quick over all first impression: I have been using this Mac for about 4 hours now, and I have to say, I dread hitting the KVM to jump back into windows to finish a few projects. I am VERY happy with this computer and the operating system. The fit and finish is unparalleled and simply amazing.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

Well, I got my Mac Mini today, WOW i love this thing!

My only problem is that I cannot get mail.app to accept the gmail info, the same info worked fine in entourage, I cannot get into mail to get a full option panel to enable ssl connections.

Also, how do I see current RAM usage?

A quick over all first impression: I have been using this Mac for about 4 hours now, and I have to say, I dread hitting the KVM to jump back into windows to finish a few projects. I am VERY happy with this computer and the operating system. The fit and finish is unparalleled and simply amazing.

Follow these instructions very carefully. Especially server port # and ssl.

ram usage: activity monitor in utilities or menumeters from ragingmenace

--B
  • Reply 2 of 4
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bergz

Follow these instructions very carefully. Especially server port # and ssl.

ram usage: activity monitor in utilities or menumeters from ragingmenace

--B

Actually I was using those instructions, the thing that was throwing me for a loop was there was no security option in the initialization window, I just by-passed that (after clicking through a copious amount of question boxes asking if I was sure I wanted to exit preliminary setup) and set it up in the program, with a full array of options.

And thank you for the recourse monitor info
  • Reply 3 of 4
    On the memory usage front: be very very careful in how you interpret memory usage. Unless you are familiar with how *nix memory management works you are far more likely to misinterpret memory usage in MacOS X then to be able to get something useful out of it. Even season *nix veterans need to understand a few of the quirks (especially the way that shared memory is reported due to dylibs).

menumeters will mislead you every time.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Karl Kuehn

On the memory usage front: be very very careful in how you interpret memory usage. Unless you are familiar with how *nix memory management works you are far more likely to misinterpret memory usage in MacOS X then to be able to get something useful out of it. Even season *nix veterans need to understand a few of the quirks (especially the way that shared memory is reported due to dylibs).

menumeters will mislead you every time.

Acctualy, I want to among other things learn unix on the mac, can you recommend a good book or resource that I can use?