looking for a program to record my voice

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I'm doing a 30 second radio spot for an advertising class, and I want to use my PB to record the text and add music, but how? Can I use garageband to record my voice? Does apple have another program I can use to record a voice?

I would think using garageband would be a good tool for this project because of the ability to work in layers, but I'm not really sure. I have only used GB once before and I would love to hear any advice.

Matt

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Garageband will work wonderfully, but if you're intimidated by that you can always wait for QT 7 (assuming your project due date isn't for a good while). QT7 pro will have one click recording of audio and video, super simple. You can even record in Word 2004. There's lots of free/shareware apps out there that do that stuff too.

Personally i would use garageband
  • Reply 2 of 8
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alty127

I'm doing a 30 second radio spot for an advertising class, and I want to use my PB to record the text and add music, but how? Can I use garageband to record my voice? Does apple have another program I can use to record a voice?

I would think using garageband would be a good tool for this project because of the ability to work in layers, but I'm not really sure. I have only used GB once before and I would love to hear any advice.

Matt

Very easy. For voice. Used it for 1st time today for a job. Never used it before, intuitive (although not exactly garage-band-intuitive). But it's free.

Audacity

--B
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Sounds great I'll use garageband then, however I can't find the option to record my voice. I'm sure its something I'm over looking. I have also tried help but didn't find anything. Can you let me know where to go to record my voice?

Also can you edit what you record? Say I want to cut out a section in the middle am I able to do that?
  • Reply 4 of 8
    audacity is a great program, I have used it to edit and loop short sound clips. That was the first program that came to mind when we got the poject but I thought if GB has the ability to record vocals then it would be much easier to combine all of the levels of the audio together. To anyone who has not used audacity give it a shot simple and free.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Click the + button and select vocals (male or female). To edit, hit the scissors icon (like in audacity) and edit it down below. Have fun!!

--B
  • Reply 6 of 8
    ireneirene Posts: 17member
    i use sound studio.

It standard application i bet u allready install on ur comp
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Ambrosia Software's WireTap Pro is another solution:

http://www.ambrosiasw.com/utilities/wiretap/

It works great, though at $19, it isn't exactly cheap for a shareware application that records sound, unless you need all the features (it can also record your computer sound, for instance, which you may not need).
  • Reply 8 of 8
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    Garage band should be great for this.

If for some reason that doesn't work for you then search on Versiontracker.com for audio recording apps. There area a bunch. Some are free and some are shareware.