How long until iPod Video, which would play QuickTime movies?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Mods, feel free to move, as I couldn't figute out whether this would be more appropriately placed in this forum or in the Future Hardware forum.

I have not yet purchased an iPod, but would really like to get one. I have a side business of videography and am now getting into still photography as well.

I was just about to get an iPod photo, but began to see some other portable media devices out there which played video as well. Wouldn't mind holding out a little longer if one of the next iPods could play QuickTime movies as well.

Anyone have any insightful ideas on when Apple might incorporate this technology into the iPod?

Thanks!

P.S.--The primary reason I would be getting the unit would not be for my side business, but it would help me to justify the purchase as I'm not the biggest music listener in the world. I could use the unit to show most anyone I run into samples (albeit 2-inch diagonal ones) of my work.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    it'll be a while. mid-summer at the absolute earliest. i would expect early december as a possible release for this, but i dont think apple is sold on video ipods yet. (average joe doesnt need video on his ipod)
  • Reply 2 of 20
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    YAVPT?
  • Reply 3 of 20
    slackulaslackula Posts: 262member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dfiler

YAVPT?

Okay....I'm apparently an idiot.

What is meant by "YAVPT?"

• Reply 4 of 20
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Yet Another VideoPod Thread.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    I would say, it won't be coming for a while...let that be everyone's own definition.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    As soon as there's any significant interest in such a thing.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    nd32k3nd32k3 Posts: 187member
    I first thought that this would be a good idea, until I realized that a good video phone would be MUCH better, because I would never watch a full video on my iPod, and with a phone you can download sports highlights which would be sick. I think it's a waste of money.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    The question is, you can create such a device

but

WHERE THE FUCK IS THE CONTENT?!

There needs to be some channel to get legalized encoded video. where is it?
  • Reply 9 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by nd32k3

and with a phone you can download sports highlights which would be sick.

hell ya. the Motorola ROKR anyone?
  • Reply 10 of 20
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nebagakid

but

Psssst, come here, you want content? Meet me behind the alley at 1:00am.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    If you want a video player now grab the Archos 400AV. A great little gizmo that doesn?t have that DRM crap. Those who are frowning on the idea of a video Pod are the same who thought the iPod was to decedent to warrant release. It?s coming, it?s only inevitable, but you don?t have to wait for Apple, grab one now there cool!
  • Reply 12 of 20
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Nope, sorry. Even us vPod haters have always recognized the utility of portable music. Portable, miniscule video is inherently less enticing.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    johnsocaljohnsocal Posts: 193member
    Couldn't Apple sell music videos for $.99 each?
  • Reply 14 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnsocal

Couldn't Apple sell music videos for $.99 each?

well they already offer them for free in iTMS, so no. i mean you can go to any band site and watch them for free.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    webmailwebmail Posts: 639member
    "video" "ipod" release = september '05
  • Reply 16 of 20
    johnsocaljohnsocal Posts: 193member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

well they already offer them for free in iTMS, so no. i mean you can go to any band site and watch them for free.

I can listen to music for free on the radio right now or watch music videos on Fuse or mtv2 but nobody has my favorite bands music videos that I can watch and listen when ever I want or on a portable like an ipod.

Why would someone pay $.99 for a song when they can steal it for free on Kazaa?

I pay for my music through itunes because its high quality, legal, convenient and i can listen to it whereever and whenever I want. I would pay $.99 for a music video if Apple offered the same benefits.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    The sad thing is that you don't need new iPod hardware to support video. its the software thats crippled because apple doesn't want to do "video"Pod until it can do it right-with the movie/content download service, proper battery life, supporting software on the computer (both platforms)

All of this must happen without detracting the iPod from its main mission: Portable music player.

With QT7, better bandwidth infrastructure being built daily, and an increasing demand (look at the sales numbers of DVDs over recent years), Apple will no doubt be looking at an elegant way to add video into its music system, or develop a separate but equal system tailored for video.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    Another thought-

Since the Ipod focuses on the audio side of things, the video files would be download to quicktime at 720X480, and then exported into a format that has 128kbps audio with 240X180 or smaller video(whatever size the screen is at the time), highly compressed. This would probably keep the total bit-rate down to around 500kbps.

There needs to be an elegant, does-it-for-you type software to do this along with the movie store, file organization and playback.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Imergingenious

Apple will no doubt be looking at an elegant way to add video into its music system, or develop a separate but equal system tailored for video.

It seems to me that Apple should merge it's Quicktime player and iTunes when the time comes.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nebagakid

but

I am sick of hearing this already.

What the F*CK is iMovie used for then? CONTENT CREATION.

What is the point of creating your own content with iMovie when there isn't any easy way to share movies without burning to DVD or viewing them on a Mac/PC.

You have iTunes to manage you digital music, whether legal or not. You have iPhoto to manage your digital pictures, again, whether legal or not (some photos are copyrighted). You have iMovie to create (not so much to manage) your digital movies. Your iPod can play music and share photos. It make perfect sense to share movies.