What are the best headphones to buy?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Hello all:

I have had my new 3OGB ipod Photo for about a week now. Quite happy with it! The standard earbuds are just not happening though. Sooo... can anyone recommend some nice headphones to compliment my new toy?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    Congratulations on your purchase! Listen, I use the included earbuds because they work alright for me. However, if I had some extra cash I'd pick any of these two (I haven't tried them but they look pretty nice for the money and you can read the review by people who purchased them at the link I'm providing):

Sony MDR-EX51LP Fontopia Headphones (less than $25 USD)

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...d=IN5STTO8U6MG

Apple iPod In-Ear Headphones (M9394G/A) (less than $45 USD)

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...d=IN5STTO8U6MG

I'd purchase any of these two if I hated the included earbuds. But I repeat, I haven't tried them but I thought you might like these because they're small, in-ear, and they're stylish. Have fun!
  • Reply 2 of 25
    lupalupa Posts: 202member
    I would hesitate to recommend the Sony's because I went through two pairs in about 4 months, although you should be ok if you don't intend on carrying them in your pocket all the time.

If you want over-the-head headphones I'd try the PX 100s from Sennheiser. They have great sound even without taking notice of the $40 price tag. The only potential cons to these are the open design and no noise cancellation.
  • Reply 3 of 25
    johnrpjohnrp Posts: 357member
    Go for the Sony.. (in white)

I'm on my second pair (my wife ditched her apple in ear ones and stile my first pair)

The BIG advantage of the sony over the apple is the short cable length, just perfect for use with the remote. And they have the "behind the neck" design going on so you can take them out your ears and still have them handy.

j.
  • Reply 4 of 25
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    If you want regular headphones, I recommend the Sennheiser PX-100. They fold up and come with a nice carrying case, plus they produce very good sound. The only drawback is that they're an open design, so it won't keep sound in for listening in the library, nor noise out.

And now I see that the prices have come down since I bought mine. You can now get the PX-200 models for less than $70, which are closed. However, I've heard quite a few reviews that are disappointed with the range on these, compared to the 100's.
  • Reply 5 of 25
    sport73sport73 Posts: 438member
    Bose QuietComfort 2 Noise-cancelling.

I say this only because I recently switched to these after using both the stock and a pair of Sony ($149) noise-cancelling earbuds. The Bose are not only quiet, but bring out elements of the music I've never heard before and create a sound-field that most buds just can't match.
  • Reply 6 of 25
    ybotybot Posts: 329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kesh

If you want regular headphones, I recommend the Sennheiser PX-100. They fold up and come with a nice carrying case, plus they produce very good sound. The only drawback is that they're an open design, so it won't keep sound in for listening in the library, nor noise out.

And now I see that the prices have come down since I bought mine. You can now get the PX-200 models for less than $70, which are closed. However, I've heard quite a few reviews that are disappointed with the range on these, compared to the 100's.

I would like to second the recommendation of Sennheisers. They sound SO amazing. I have a pair and they sound better than my stereo speakers!
  • Reply 7 of 25
    I personally prefer the next step up on the Sony's...I have the $50 in ear ones and they have been great for me
  • Reply 8 of 25
    timotimo Posts: 353member
    check out head-fi.org
  • Reply 9 of 25
    I would like to third the sennheisers. definitely px-100, plus they look cooler. fit VERY comfortably. and the link to the px-200s is broken, and even though they are worse, ill bother with this quick fix:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...lance&n=507846
  • Reply 10 of 25
    c2poonc2poon Posts: 38member
    The info. you have all provided is very helpful, thanks. I like the traditional headphones, and not the in-ear or ear buds. From the looks of things, Sennheiser sounds like a strong brand. Too bad many of their models are open-ear, as I would hate to disturb my fellow commuters on the train. Thanks to the fella who provided a link to ipodlounge.com, that place is pretty cool.

My ipod Photo battery-life ain't bad. It lasted me slightly more than 5 business days (about 1.5 hours per day).

• Reply 11 of 25
    I LOOOOOVE my PX-200s. Great sounding, sturdy, and reliable headphones and they aren't too expensive.
  • Reply 12 of 25
    fawkesfawkes Posts: 80member
    I recommend the PX100s over the PX200s for most people. The 200s require a good seal to sound good (and they DO sound good with a good seal). the 100s are an open design, which does not require a seal. They are the best headphones under $50 I have heard.

The Koss Porta/SportaPros are also amazingly good for the very low price. Just remember that only the Kosses with the big drivers are good... the little ones are really bad. They hit on something good with those drivers years ago and haven't messed with it. I had a set of PortaPros for a while and they can't be beat for the price. <$20, they are the winner. Even if you get a more expensive set, these are a great extra pair to throw in your gym bag.

Grado SR60s are a step up in price, size and sound quality. They are very old-school looking (still made in Brooklyn, NY) but they sound fantastic. I have SR225s and an AirHead headphone amplifier and I've never heard a better combination. Grado SR60s don't require a headphone amp to sound good. Best <$100 cans, in my opinion. I don't recommend splurging for the SR80s or above unless you have a headphone amplifier.

Buy good cans and your ears will thank you!

http://www.headphone.com is a great place to research and buy headphones. They are VERY knowledgeable there too, and could help you decide if you are down to 2 or 3 possibilities. Seriously, they are great and their prices are good too.
  • Reply 13 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by Timo

check out head-fi.org

Dangerous place. :-)

Based on reviews there, I picked up the Shure e3c. Un-frickin-believable. Sure, you can pay even more and get even better earphones, but I don't think anything comes close at the price of the e3c (I paid $125).
  • Reply 14 of 25
    adpowersadpowers Posts: 188member
    I'd recommend the Sony MDR-V6. They have a huge range (from like 10 Hz - 30,000 Hz) and good reproduction. I'm listening to the Beauty and the Beast soundtrack on my iPod with them right now and it sounds great.
  • Reply 15 of 25
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Sennheiser!!

--B
  • Reply 16 of 25
    its too bad about the Apple branded in-ear headphones...they constantly slip out of my left ear. they do sound superb when they form a seal, but you have to use your hands to hold them in your ears for that...
  • Reply 17 of 25
    sopphodesopphode Posts: 135member
    Koss PortaPro is the best you can get IMHO.
  • Reply 18 of 25
    halijanhalijan Posts: 24member
    I got the white sony fontopia headphones to match my iPod and they're amazing
  • Reply 19 of 25
    ireneirene Posts: 17member
    hi guy why no one recomment shure E3c or etymotic?

i keen to have that one i heard they are goooooood
  • Reply 20 of 25
    I have the Etymotic ER-4p's and their sound is amazing . My only complaint about them is that the cord is relatively rigid, so you can feel/hear vibrations from the cord hitting your chest as you walk, etc. They come with a clip that you can clip to your shirt, which is essential, but you look kind of tech-dorky. Better for running than Sennheiser HD-580s by a long shot, though