Sharing playlists and songs thru 2 users

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
hey there,

im now succesfully sharing my itunes library with my mum's itunes app, but once i have my Library available to my mum's copy of iTunes, how do i take songs from my Library and add to hers? It seems i can't do this (presumably to prevent music theft?) through iTunes and have to manually reveal the song's file and then go through the 'add to library' option under File.

is there an easier way?

thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    its tough to do for the reason you mentioned. if you're gonna do some illegal stuff, you're gonna have to work a little.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    spiers69spiers69 Posts: 418member
    but it's not actually illegal. i can still do what im trying to, but i have to do it manually by revealing the file and then adding it, i'd rather just do it in one step and simply add it to her library.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Here is some software that will allow you to select the song you want from your share, hit download, and it automatically add it to her library. Or vice versa whatever you want to do. You can get multiple songs at the same time as well.

Not sure what the legal info is on that but I've tried it on my computers and it has worked in the past...
  • Reply 4 of 10
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by spiers69

but it's not actually illegal. i can still do what im trying to, but i have to do it manually by revealing the file and then adding it, i'd rather just do it in one step and simply add it to her library.

ya i take that back. if her account is authorized to play your purchased music then its fine.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    i can't get that app to do what i want it to. all i want is to be able to add songs from my shared library (which is my entire library - and im sharing it with mum's copy of iTunes) to my mum's library. So that if she hears a song i own, and she likes it and wants it on her iPod and in her Library, she can simply add it to her library by dragging it there.

By the way, we are both storing our songs in the same location, and that is on an external HD. So i can add songs to her library, but to do so i have to first go back to my user account, reveal the song, and either remember where it is or place it somewhere in the Shared folder..... all of this can seem a bit much to simply get one song - especially when the song is legally owned by me.

i know this can be done, and it can't be that hard - after all i am using a Mac, and they're pretty user-friendly... can someone help?
  • Reply 6 of 10
    spiers69 here is the step by step instruction for that software:

1. Share your library

2. Go to your mum's computer and open up iTunes

3. Open up getTunes on your mum's computer

4. Select your share in iTunes on your mum's computer

5. Select a song you want on your share using your mum's computer

6. Go to getTunes and hit Add Selection

7. If you did the above 6 steps correctly it will show the song name in the list

8. Do steps 1-7 as many times as you want and whenever you want

9. Hit the Download All button in getTunes

10. Watch it add it to your mum's library

11. Done

If you need I can even send a link to a video of me doing it on my computer....
  • Reply 7 of 10
    No one is listening. His mother and him share the same computer. What he wants to do is keep both itunes libraries in sync, so when he adds music, his mother can see it, as well as when she adds music, he can see it. He also doesn't want to just use an alias to /Users/Shared/ and have the iTunes library stored in there along with the music. I am trying to do the same as well. iTunes 5 could sure use an option "Use central Music Folder" so that iTunes uses one music folder on the computer, and anytime music is added to it, it appears in all users itunes library. Of course Apple didn't add this option since the RIAA considers it stealing since you could set it up to work over your entire network.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    well i don't want to keep my entire library in sync with hers, because i don't want to have her music in my library, but i'd love for her to have a playlist that is synced with my library, and she can simple add desired songs to her library....

as for that app, GetTunes i still can't seem to get it to work. I follow your instructions, but when i select a song i my shared Library and then click 'Add Selection' in GetTunes it simply begings to play the song and in the bottom of the GetTunes window the following message is displayed:

"adding songs from itunes"

but nothing happens..... any ideas??

by the way, thanks for your time
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by spiers69

well i don't want to keep my entire library in sync with hers, because i don't want to have her music in my library, but i'd love for her to have a playlist that is synced with my library, and she can simple add desired songs to her library....

as for that app, GetTunes i still can't seem to get it to work. I follow your instructions, but when i select a song i my shared Library and then click 'Add Selection' in GetTunes it simply begings to play the song and in the bottom of the GetTunes window the following message is displayed:

"adding songs from itunes"

but nothing happens..... any ideas??

by the way, thanks for your time

Yes it will begin to play the song and add it to the list. Then after you do that you have to hit Download All button in GetTunes for it to copy it to the iTunes library.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    i still can't get it to work! it starts playing the song, but it doesn't add it to any list (not in iTunes, and not in GetTunes). Am i meant to wait for the song to play right through or is it meant to just appear part way through.

how long does it usually take to appear in GetTunes???

thanks