Hard drives

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi, like RAM, I think Hard drives are cheaper when purchased elsewhere. Are they easy to install please for someone with very little Practil computer knowledge or is it worth the extra dough for it just to come already set up?

Regards, Chris.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Are you upgrading a computer that you already own? If so, then it's cheaper to install the drive yourself. It's hard to say how easy it will be until you tell us what model of computer that you have.

BTW, you should've posted in the genius bar forum.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by chockydavid1983

Hi, like RAM, I think Hard drives are cheaper when purchased elsewhere. Are they easy to install please for someone with very little Practil computer knowledge or is it worth the extra dough for it just to come already set up?

Regards, Chris.

what Apple computer are you thinking of buying or what Apple computer do you have now??

cheers,

-sunil
  • Reply 3 of 11
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:

Regards, Chris.

If you are not petrified by opening up a computer and a few screws, 3rd party is the way to go. Go see Xlr8yourmac.com for practical user reviews, install and compatibility guidance.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Hi, thanks for all the replies. I don't have a Mac at the moment and am thinking of getting a PMG5.

Regards, Chris.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Hi, thanks for all the replies. I don't have a Mac at the moment and am thinking of getting a PMG5.

Regards, Chris.

They're the easiest. Although Apple do sell 250GB Hard drives I don't know how the price compares. All you do is open the PowerMac flap and (earth yourself) and plug the drive into a spare bay. It really couldn't be any easier. PCs are almost exactly the same if that helps.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Quote:

Regards, Chris.

hi Chris, that's sweet

PMG5 is really like the above poster mentions the most and easiest to upgrade of Macs

yeah PMG5 comes normally with 80GB or 160GB serial-ATA 7200rpm drives. so you could shop around a little if you want to 'bring your own drive'

i'm sure you could buy a PMG5 from an Apple dealer without a drive, and 'bring your own' if you wanted to

keep in mind though that unlike RAM, which usually has a lifetime warranty, hard drives usually have 1 year warranty.

so, if you buy a complete PMG5 package, and full AppleCare, the RAM, hard drive, CPU, everything, including Apple Display if it is on the same receipt, is all covered by 3-years warranty.

enjoy,

-sunil

• Reply 7 of 11
    Hi thanks for your reply. Can you get much higher quality drives for audio work or is it just a case of cost and lenght of warranty (I'm a bit new to all this)

Regards, Chris.

Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

hi Chris, that's sweet

PMG5 is really like the above poster mentions the most and easiest to upgrade of Macs

yeah PMG5 comes normally with 80GB or 160GB serial-ATA 7200rpm drives. so you could shop around a little if you want to 'bring your own drive'

i'm sure you could buy a PMG5 from an Apple dealer without a drive, and 'bring your own' if you wanted to

keep in mind though that unlike RAM, which usually has a lifetime warranty, hard drives usually have 1 year warranty.

so, if you buy a complete PMG5 package, and full AppleCare, the RAM, hard drive, CPU, everything, including Apple Display if it is on the same receipt, is all covered by 3-years warranty.

enjoy,

-sunil

• Reply 8 of 11
    Hi thanks for your reply sunil. Can you get much higher quality drives for audio work or is it just a case of cost and lenght of warranty (I'm a bit new to all this)

Regards, Chris.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Hi thanks for your reply MacCrazy. Can you get much higher quality drives for audio work or is it just a case of cost and lenght of warranty (I'm a bit new to all this)

Thanks, I'm sure I can ask on here if I run into problems adding bits and pieces.

Regards, Chris.

Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

They're the easiest. Although Apple do sell 250GB Hard drives I don't know how the price compares. All you do is open the PowerMac flap and (earth yourself) and plug the drive into a spare bay. It really couldn't be any easier. PCs are almost exactly the same if that helps.

• Reply 10 of 11
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Hi thanks for your reply MacCrazy. Can you get much higher quality drives for audio work or is it just a case of cost and lenght of warranty (I'm a bit new to all this)

Thanks, I'm sure I can ask on here if I run into problems adding bits and pieces.

Regards, Chris.

build quality obviously varies so go with the most respected brand name. Other than that go for the fastest drive possible, I don't know if the PowerMacs support 10,000RPM. I'd personally order a 250GB through Apple.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

build quality obviously varies so go with the most respected brand name. Other than that go for the fastest drive possible, I don't know if the PowerMacs support 10,000RPM. I'd personally order a 250GB through Apple.

hi chris, i agree with MacCrazy. It's $150 extra to get 1GB total on a PowermacG5 2ghz Dual, and just $100 extra to get 7200rpm 250GB disk

then, for $249 full 3-year AppleCare, you'll have the peace of mind knowing that your whole system is covered for full three years, for example if at any time that 250GB disk bites the dust (like i mentioned, normally if you buy a hard disk separately only 1 year warranty from a separate dealer)

but overall a whole Apple and AppleCare package means just one company to deal with should you run into any problems

apple's serial-ata 7200rpm for a g5-studio-music-based-setup is very decent for making and recording music. i think if you really wanted to go hardcore beyond that you'd be looking at 'pro' stuff like Digidesign 001 racks and RAID arrays and huge-ass mixing consoles

but yeah once you get your core g5 setup and you know is covered by AppleCare, you can then have fun shopping around for the additional bits -- like maybe additional 1GB RAM (you don't have to buy from Apple), or a sweet FireWire800 external backup drive (for you to back up your music and stuff)

i have also heard of people recording directly to a FireWire800 external 7200rpm drive, you can ask on the Genius Bar forum side of things to see their experience with that. this way, all your 'system' stuff is on your core hard disk, and your 'scratch disk' or 'recording disk' is the external drive

i will stop rambling on now

PS. 10,000rpm is overkill, i think