One picture a day.

Comments

• Reply 101 of 263
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kishan

A few more pictures from my travels and lesiure.

On the St. Croix River that forms the border between Minnesota and Wisconsin.

Taken with an Olympus C50.

Hmm. Where are the girls?
  • Reply 102 of 263
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ShawnJ

Hmm. Where are the girls?

naked on the beach!!!!!!!! Yeah baby! Chicks dig boats.
  • Reply 103 of 263
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

Got it. Thanks! It was actually a bit busy for my desktop, but I photoshopped it into an abstract and I'm using it now. Looks like a bunch of wax.

Cool. Sounds interesting, can you mail me a copy?
  • Reply 104 of 263

Why does my camera *suck* in conditions like that? I fiddled with the settings all night and couldn't get one decent shot.
  • Reply 105 of 263
    get a tripod, or set the camera on something.

it gets mixed results, but one other way is to hold the camera to your eye, then tuck your arms against your torso, turning yourself iinto a tripod, then don't breathe and take the shot.
  • Reply 106 of 263
    Okay, I'll see what I can do. I'm using a Canon PowerShot S200. (due for replacement soon anyway). Thanks.

Edit: Okay, it looks like it has an exposure compensation range of 2EV to +2EV in 1/3EV. I'll try that.
  • Reply 107 of 263
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ShawnJ

Why does my camera *suck* in conditions like that? I fiddled with the settings all night and couldn't get one decent shot.

Motion blur.

There is simply not enough light

. You can try to use a tripod, but tripod only prevent the shakes coming from the photographer, but It will not freeze moving people or objects.

. you can use the flash, but the background will be dark, because the difference of lighting between the guy and the background will be too high

. you have to buy a new camera, and shot at 1600 or 3200 iso with a fast lens, like 1,4. Fuji is planning to introduce the first compact camera who work at 1600 iso. Otherwise low light condition pictures recquieres reflex cameras like the 350 D.
  • Reply 108 of 263
    My favorite animal :

• Reply 109 of 263
    rock mimetism :

Parent and child

• Reply 110 of 263
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    Nice pics.

Sorry but I've forgotten the name of the animal, what is it called again?
  • Reply 111 of 263
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kishan

naked on the beach!!!!!!!! Yeah baby! Chicks dig boats.

Hmmm, you have naked chicks on the beach and you are taking pictures of guys on a boat??
  • Reply 112 of 263
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ThinkingDifferent

Hmmm, you have naked chicks on the beach and you are taking pictures of guys on a boat??

Isn't this a family oriented forum?
  • Reply 113 of 263
    Quote:

Originally posted by mattyj

Nice pics.

Sorry but I've forgotten the name of the animal, what is it called again?

Marmottes.
  • Reply 114 of 263
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Nice marmot.
  • Reply 115 of 263
    maffrewmaffrew Posts: 166member

This is my girlfriend on the last (and biggest by far) absail during our canyoning session in Nepal, 2003. I'd already completed it when i took the picture.

Taken on the same Sony Cybershot DSC-F77 as my earlier photo from New York, so i couldn't zoom (the zoom on the camera is virtually useless).

One day i'll get a real camera
  • Reply 116 of 263
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

Marmottes.

Do they make good eating?

Marmotte Provencale?

Blanquette de Marmotte?

Marmotte Flambé?

<Homer>Mmmmm.......Marmotte Flambé</Homer>
  • Reply 117 of 263
    Cool thread. That pic of the bike with the icicles was excellent.

I wasn't aware that marmots were found in Europe. Definitely one of the coolest animals out there. I think I'd be a marmot if I were an animal, although if I had more ambition I might go for being a wolverine. Marmots have it good though, lounging around in scenic areas, little fear of humans, they like to whistle at passersby, belligerent on occasion as need be.

I try to take a pic or two on occasion, I'll see if I can come up with one or two when I get home.
  • Reply 118 of 263
    Quote:

Originally posted by crazychester

Do they make good eating?

Marmotte Provencale?

Blanquette de Marmotte?

Marmotte Flambé?

<Homer>Mmmmm.......Marmotte Flambé</Homer>

I don't know, it's strictly forbidden to hunt marmotte in the national park of the Vanoise.

I doubt that marmotte provencale exist, because provence is not the right place for marmottes. In France you only found them in mountains : Alps, and Pyrenees (wrong english spelling).

Perhaps a ragout of marmottes existed in the past. Who knows ?

If you are interested by weird alps food, there was the famous liquor called viperine. You catch a viper, you put it alive in alcohool, where she become drunk before dying. I am lucky : nobody ask me to drink this terrible stuff
  • Reply 119 of 263
    Quote:

Originally posted by ColanderOfDeath

Cool thread. That pic of the bike with the icicles was excellent.

I wasn't aware that marmots were found in Europe. Definitely one of the coolest animals out there. I think I'd be a marmot if I were an animal, although if I had more ambition I might go for being a wolverine. Marmots have it good though, lounging around in scenic areas, little fear of humans, they like to whistle at passersby, belligerent on occasion as need be.

I try to take a pic or two on occasion, I'll see if I can come up with one or two when I get home.

Well for the fear of human it depends of marmots. There is marmottes who will fly in panic if they see you at less than 100 meters, some others are domesticated and will support you at 15 to 20 meters ( I shot this ones). In some places, they can eat in your hand.

Marmots hate dogs, and for a marmot eagles and dogs are the worst annoyings animals on earth. Marmottes are one of the most popular animals of the alps. I wasn't aware that they existed in the US, i used to think that just their cousins existed (hound dogs)
  • Reply 120 of 263
    zozo Posts: 3,117member

Taken a few minutes ago out of my window.

Sony DSC-P100 @ 3.2MP default settings.

Cropped and Shadow/Highlighted with PS... other than that, all natural

Its kinda creepy when sands and sunset mix up like this