Jabber

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Can anyone recommend a good Jabber client for OS X? I'm not happy with the current offerings. Gush is just slow and stuck in its own windowing system, Psi is almost there but doesn't really do things in a Mac-like manner, and Fire won't connect to the server my account is on.

I'm really, really hoping Apple makes the 10.4 iChat use Jabber as its main protocol, and just sets up its own Jabber server with transports to other services.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    As reported here, iChat will support Jabber.

As far as Jabber clients for OS X, look here.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    arnelarnel Posts: 103member
    I think Adium supports Jabber (www.adiumx.com), along with pretty much any other IM system you care to think of.

It's really nice to use as well, once you've got it set up just the way you like it. The shear amount of customisable options can be a bit overwhelming though to start with.

Neil.

a.k.a. Arnel
  • Reply 3 of 5
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    Cake, thank you so much! That's excellent news about iChat. And yes, I've tried most of those apps on Versiontracker.

Arnel, thank you too. I haven't tried Adium in a long time, so maybe I'll give it another shot.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    You might want to try out the 0.8 beta (beta.adiumx.com) - Its pretty amazing! And stable at this point.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    I've abandonded MSN Messenger and iChat (except for video conf with some people) for Adium.

Its by far best.