Nintendo: Revolution & free DS online service

Comments

• Reply 21 of 80
    tacojohntacojohn Posts: 980member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Protostar

Sony didn't redesign the Playstation controller b/c everyone was used to and happy with the current design. I hope they use the same design in the PS3 b/c "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

I'm far from impressed with the PS2 controller. Have you used a gamecube controller? Besides the "Z" button everything fits perfectly where it should be.

The analog stick is in the correct place- not pushed into the middle of the controller as an add on like on PS.
  • Reply 22 of 80
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tacojohn

I'm far from impressed with the PS2 controller. Have you used a gamecube controller? Besides the "Z" button everything fits perfectly where it should be.

The analog stick is in the correct place- not pushed into the middle of the controller as an add on like on PS.

I think that it is what you are used to. I love the PS2 controller, and the GC one feels strange. I particularly love the wireless logitech PS controller.
  • Reply 23 of 80
    protostarprotostar Posts: 272member
    Quote:

I think that it is what you are used to. I love the PS2 controller, and the GC one feels strange. I particularly love the wireless logitech PS controller.

I'd have to agree with you. The PS2 controller just feels natural to me, whereas the Gamecube controller jsut feels odd.

Quote:

"In terms of revenue, Sony is the clear market leader, having generated $45 billion in game-related revenue from fiscal 1998 through 2004. However, Nintendo has been the most profitable company, earning about $7 billion in operating income from fiscal 1998 to fiscal 2004, compared with about $4.5 billion for Sony (from its games division)"

Sony is the market leader and that's all that matters.
  • Reply 24 of 80
    tacojohntacojohn Posts: 980member
    Quote:

Yeah in sales, but Nintendo rules in profits.

On in a side note- the wavebird is the best wireless controller ever.
  • Reply 25 of 80
    Quote:

On in a side note- the wavebird is the best wireless controller ever. [/B]

If you like it, great. I have 2 wavebirds and 4 logitech wireless ps2 controllers - the wavebirds sit in the drawer.

The logitech is much smaller, and it has an "auto on" feature with automatic channel selection and discovery. Much cooler than the power switch and channel selection wheel of the wavebird.
  • Reply 26 of 80
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Quote:

In business profitability matters a great deal more than someone in the press calling you a "market leader".

Let me just quote you for hilarity:

Personally, I think if Nintendo doesn't get everything right with this next gaming system (none of that "It's only for playing games bullshit", I want to watch movies on it as well) they'll probably end up like Sega, making games for other companyies systems.

And consoles are for playing games. Some people use their PS2s and XBoxes as DVD players, but you can spend $60 and get a dedicated system with much better features, plus you don't wear down your game system watching movies.

I doubt the Revolution will have DVD playback capability, and I also doubt that it will make any difference whatsoever with regard to the system's success. Why would it?
  • Reply 27 of 80
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    If it doesn't have a TV, surround sound system, MP3 player and Tivo built in it, it's gonna fail.
  • Reply 28 of 80
    An 80" plasma TV!

Did you hear that the PS3 is going to have like 4 G5s in it and it will look like real life when you play and they have to make you wear special glasses so that you don't mistake it for real life and go crazy?
  • Reply 29 of 80
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

Is it possible for you to know less about something you obviously feel passionate about?

• Reply 30 of 80
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

An 80" plasma TV!

Did you hear that the PS3 is going to have like 4 G5s in it and it will look like real life when you play and they have to make you wear special glasses so that you don't mistake it for real life and go crazy?

stop it man!

I'm not much of a game freak, but I like Nintendo's better than PS2/3 or Xbox. My little brother has a GameCube at home and I enjoy it.

I don't follow the specs and all that though. I just laugh with your jokes.
  • Reply 31 of 80
    Quote:

In business profitability matters a great deal more than someone in the press calling you a "market leader".

I know that. But I thought we were just talking about which is the better system in which case the PS2 wins b/c it has a bigger user base than both the Xbox and Gaycube combined.

Quote:

And consoles are for playing games. Some people use their PS2s and XBoxes as DVD players, but you can spend $60 and get a dedicated system with much better features, plus you don't wear down your game system watching movies.

I doubt the Revolution will have DVD playback capability, and I also doubt that it will make any difference whatsoever with regard to the system's success. Why would it?

If you wear down your game system watching movies, what the hell do you think happens when you play games?

Quote:

An 80" plasma TV!

You poke fun at the PS3 but I'm gonna be laughing my ass off when once again Nintendo will be supporting there own system with their own games while a good many of the developers (like Rockstar w/ GTA) make their games for the PS3 and Xbox 2 (or Xenon).
  • Reply 32 of 80
    I will probably own all three new systems, provided that they all have DVI output.

I asked DVDO if they would have a line quadrupler with 4 DVI inputs in time for the next generation of game consoles, and they indicated that they would. So my setup would be:

sources: xbox 2, PS 3, nintendo revolution, Directv receiver

(DVDs will hopefully be able to play in one of the game consoles)

audio to surround pre-amp->amp->speakers.

video to DVDO device feeding projector.
  • Reply 33 of 80
    Quote:

I know that. But I thought we were just talking about which is the better system in which case the PS2 wins b/c it has a bigger user base than both the Xbox and Gaycube combined.

Popular = better?

Gaycube?

Quote:

If you wear down your game system watching movies, what the hell do you think happens when you play games?

The console wears down as it is used, so the less you use it the longer it will take to break down completely.

This is not difficult logic to follow.

Quote:

You poke fun at the PS3 but I'm gonna be laughing my ass off when once again Nintendo will be supporting there own system with their own games while a good many of the developers (like Rockstar w/ GTA) make their games for the PS3 and Xbox 2 (or Xenon).

I am not making fun of the PS3. I am making fun of fanboys who hype up products that do not exist. They did the same thing with the PS2 which turned out to be the least powerful of the Big 3. They are doing the same thing with the PS3.

I am making fun of people who say things like "Gaycube".

I am making fun of you, specifically.

Nintendo makes great games. I really do not know why it is a bad thing for Nintendo to make games for its own system.
  • Reply 34 of 80
    Quote:

The console wears down as it is used, so the less you use it the longer it will take to break down completely.

This is not difficult logic to follow.

Not its not difficult logic to follow. But the same logic applies to computers, cars, or any other type of machine. But the point of having a console is to play games, for however long I want to play them and watch movies if I choose to do so (which is not possible on the Gamecube)

Quote:

They did the same thing with the PS2 which turned out to be the least powerful of the Big 3. They are doing the same thing with the PS3.

And did it matter that it was the least powerful? No, it didn't. Consumers still went and bought the console and developers still made games for it, much more so than they did for the Xbox or Sony. Let me lay it out for you

The best games for Gamecube

1. Metroid Prime 2

2. Metroid Prime

3. Super Smash Brothers Melee

4. Resident Evil 4

5. F-Zero

6. Soul Caliber 2 ('cause you can play as link on the gamecube version)

7. Mario Kart Double Dash

Note: If you have not noticed I copied and edited this list from an earlier post

The best games for PS2

1.God of War

2.GTA (all of them)

3.Gran Turismo 3 & 4

4.Ratchet and Clank (all of them)

5.DBZ Budokai (all of them)

6.Twisted Metal ('cause there's few things cooler than cars with guns)

7.Mortal Kombat (on PS2 and Xbox b/c of online play)

The list goes on and on
  • Reply 35 of 80
    Quote:

But the same logic applies to computers, cars, or any other type of machine.

Yes, it does. What is your point?

Quote:

But the point of having a console is to play games, for however long I want to play them and watch movies if I choose to do so (which is not possible on the Gamecube)

DVD playback is a gimmick feature, it's not the purpose of the system. The purpose of the system is games. If you buy it because you need to play DVDs that's fine, your choice. It's a waste of money but that's your choice.

What you shouldn't do is pretend like DVD playback is a vital part of a console's functionality, because it's not.

You're going to buy the console you want for the games, not because it plays DVDs.

Quote:

And did it matter that it was the least powerful? No, it didn't. Consumers still went and bought the console and developers still made games for it, much more so than they did for the Xbox or Sony.

Did I say consumers didn't buy them?

Did I say developers aren't developing for them?

You assert that the PS2 is "better" because it sells more, I would like for you to explain that logic.

Quote:

Let me lay it out for you... *long, pointless lists*

What are you trying to tell me by posting a list of your favorite PS2 games? ( Pardon me, PSGAY2 OMGROFL!11!! )

What is that supposed to mean?
  • Reply 36 of 80
    I think that his point is that the PS2 has way more good games than the gamecube. I also agree with this.

Until recently, I would say that the PS2 was by far in the lead, with the Xbox and GC tied for a distant second place. Recently, the Xbox has done some good catching up, but the gamecube has not.
  • Reply 37 of 80
    Quote:

You assert that the PS2 is "better" because it sells more, I would like for you to explain that logic.

I think the logic explains itself. Consumers wouldn't buy the system if they didn't think it wasn't better than the other two. I know just b/c a system has a lot of games behind it doesn't mean its better but in the case of the PS2

there are a lot of great games behind the system.
  • Reply 38 of 80
    ijerryijerry Posts: 615member
    Wow, talk about a neverending battle of nothingness....

I just wanted to add my thoughts about the current systems, and leave out the ones that are coming, because they are not here yet, and we don't have any info.

So far I have pretty much stuck with the PS2, for no other reason than the only games I really play are football sims and GT. I just don't have the time for any other gaming at this point, but once and a while it distracts me. Gran Turismo is my main stay on the PS2. The only reason I went with that system. Nintendo makes great fun games! There is no argument there. If I had the time to play all of their awesome games I would get a Nintendo, but I would have to have the PS2 for my GT habit, obviously. The only console who really brings nothing to the market is the XBOX. They are competition for Sony, not for Nintendo. Sony and MS are in the same battle, going after the same customers, and they are going to add all of these worthless features, like DVD playback to appeal to more people by feature set. While Nintendo gets to keep making its games that continue to sell well, their system, that continues to make money, and continue trying to bring gaming back to its origins, and keep it fun. Nintendo is the only gaming purist, and to call oneself a gamer, one should really respect what Nintendo does and will continue to do. I just don't see Nintendo falling at all. I see them continuing to do extrememly well, and the other two to continue battling it out with their exclusive titles, whose library is nowhere near what Nintendo's exclusive titles are.

but, lets get back to bashing each other, it has been fun!
  • Reply 39 of 80
    Quote:

The only console who really brings nothing to the market is the XBOX.

I hate microsoft as much as the next guy, but I think that is a bit harsh.

Fable, Dead or Alive series, Star Wars games, Doom 3, Spawn in Soul Calibur, etc.
  • Reply 40 of 80
    ijerryijerry Posts: 615member
    Quote:

Originally posted by e1618978

I hate microsoft as much as the next guy, but I think that is a bit harsh.

Fable, Dead or Alive series, Star Wars games, Doom 3, Spawn in Soul Calibur, etc.

Could be for any platform really. So MS licensed these ones while others couldn't or didn't, doesn't mean that they actually bring anything to the table. I give Sony the respect only because they were there first...